• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Congratulatons, ace! There is nothing that feels any better than watching the Hoosiers beat that bunch of cheating SOBs from Kentucky!

Now let's beat the Tar Heels next....if they get there!

Congratulatons, ace! There is nothing that feels any better than watching the Hoosiers beat that bunch of cheating SOBs from Kentucky!

Now let's beat the Tar Heels next....if they get there!

Thanks bud. :) I have to go in to work tomorrow at least for a few hours. I hate to work on Sundays but that is my work life sometimes. Winning today will send me off with a smile tomorrow mourning. Should be an easy day since UK fans will avoid me at all cost. lol

I added these 3 players to my team.

Michael Conforto, of, Mets

J.T. Realmuto, catcher, Marlins

Luis Severino, starter, Yankees

Well, two weeks from right now the 2016 MLB season will be under way....so it's time to get serious about Opening Day rosters. This is my latest...and I feel that I am close to being ready. As you know, by this time I try to not only have an overall roster in place, but also my 1st week starting lineup...particularly my SPs. This lineup has 5 SPs who should get 2 starts the 1st week. None of the 5 SPs on my bench will get 2 starts that week. I've also tried to get as many 7-game hitters in the lineup and no 5-game hitters. I could still juggle my hitters a little, but the pitchers are about 100% set. Have three top hitters on the bench the 1st week (Trout, Donaldson & Harper). Harper only has 5 games. The reason for the other two is all those high-priced 2-start pitchers the 1st week. You don't normally have all the top pitchers getting two starts the same week like you do opening week...so you have to sacrifice a little with your hitters. At least that's the way I see it....you must have your 2-start SPs in the lineup. Total roster price is $89.06M and my "neutral" price according to my formula is $88.90M, so I am slightly over that, but not enough that it would make a big difference, I think. Could still change 2 or 3 players in the next two weeks, but I'm mostly happy with this roster. Still interested in suggestions or comments from anyone, of course, since it's always possible that I have missed someone somewhere.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Castillo, Welington C,UT - ARI 1,410,000
C Martin, Russell C,UT - TOR 1,690,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 2,790,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 3,240,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 1,630,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 1,480,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 2,670,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 1,690,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,840,000
SS Seager, Corey SS,UT - LAD 1,730,000
OF Blackmon, Charlie OF,UT - COL 2,450,000
OF Buxton, Byron OF,UT - MIN 1,230,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 1,460,000
OF Pollock, A.J. OF,UT - ARI 2,590,000
OF Sano, Miguel OF,UT - MIN 1,840,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 2,260,000
UT Lawrie, Brett 2B,UT - CHW 1,660,000
UT Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 1,260,000
SP Archer, Chris SP - TB 2,560,000
SP Arrieta, Jake SP - CHC 3,010,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD 3,350,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP - CHW 1,440,000
SP Sale, Chris SP - CHW 2,960,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP - WAS 3,240,000
RP Allen, Cody RP - CLE 2,210,000
RP Familia, Jeurys RP - NYM 2,290,000
RP Giles, Ken RP - HOU 2,190,000
RP McGee, Jake RP - COL 1,560,000
Total 59,730,000

RESERVE
Pos Player Salary
C Rupp, Cameron C,UT - PHI 1,120,000
1B Park, Byung-ho 1B,UT - MIN 1,600,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 3,030,000
SS Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 2,370,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 2,330,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 3,000,000
OF Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 2,470,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 3,310,000
SP Carrasco, Carlos SP - CLE 2,220,000
SP Salazar, Danny SP - CLE 2,130,000
SP Severino, Luis SP - NYY 1,350,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP - WAS 2,580,000
SP Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM 1,820,000
Total 29,330,000

My team is getting close to ready. Dropped Archer for Harvey. They are priced about the same...and in the points league, they are valued about the same. If Archer gets 20 more innings & 20 more strikeouts while Harvey gets 4 more wins, they are a wash.

Trying to figure out a way to add Rizzo, but my total roster budget is about where it needs to be now, and Rizzo is 2990K. Currently have 4 middling 2nd basemen (Odor, Lawrie, Panik & Schoop)...which I'm using as mostly a "throwaway" position, so I really don't need that 2nd backup guy there. You don't have a steals category (or batting average category) in the points leagues, so you don't need to spend a lot of money on an Altuve or Gordon to get steals. Steals are important because you get 2 points for each one...but you also get 2 points for each double. So 20 doubles counts just as much as 20 steals. I'm leaning toward dropping Lawrie, since Panik & Schoop are cheaper and I think Odor has the biggest upside.....though I think if Lawrie bats 2nd in that White Sox lineup he could put up some very good numbers. Still, Lawrie is only 1660K, so dropping him for Rizzo adds a ton of money to my roster. I'd have to downsize somewhere else if I did that.

(My nephew in Portland called last night and said he was 1) moving to Seattle, and 2) was going to get a points league team this year.)

Last edited:
Anyone have any updated links to projected batting orders & pitching rotations?

I have been checking the bleacher report but nothing so far.

My team is at 42.5 right now. Seems like I have way too many cheap players. What is the number again of your formula?

Ace, I looked at your roster from a few weeks ago. It has Yu Darvish in it. I don't think he's gonna be ready for the season's start. I definitely want him in mine if he's healthy but he will return mid-May according to Fantrax.

I remember my dumb ass had him in my opening day lineup last year and realized he was hurt right after my lineup was locked in for the year

I have been checking the bleacher report but nothing so far.

My team is at 42.5 right now. Seems like I have way too many cheap players. What is the number again of your formula?

The roster total in my formula depends upon the prices for your catchers & closers....players who will be in the lineup basically all of the time. The cheaper those 6 players are, the higher your total roster total can be...and vice versa.

I found a good link for batting lineups & pitching rotations that also gives fantasy outlook predictions for every player:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14936299/mlb-projected-lineups-all-30-teams

My roster is almost set now. Out of 41 players, I only have 2 or 3 that I am still undecided about. My latest changes:

Added Lindor, dropped Corey Seager. Reason: Decided I'd rather have a guy leading off in an AL lineup than a guy hitting near the bottom of an NL lineup. Both are upcoming stars and I will continue to watch Seager.

Added Justin Upton, dropped Sterlin Marte. Reason: Priced about the same. Decided that Detroit had a stronger lineup. Liked Upton hitting 2nd in it.

Added Patrick Corbin, dropped Danny Salazer. Reason: Money, mostly. Corbin is about 600K cheaper....and has had a great ST. That makes my SPs 6 top guys (Kershaw, Scherzer, Arrieta, Sale, Harvey & Strasburg), 2 middle-range guys (Carrasco & Syndergaard) and 3 cheaper guys whom I think could be good value for the money (Corbin, Rodon & Severiano). Only get 11 SPs in points leagues, so you need more sure things.

Added Conforte, dropped Buxton for cheapest outfielder: Reason: Buxton has been dropped from leadoff to 9th in batting order after a poor spring training performance.

9 days to go. I'm starting to get fired up for Opening Day!

Last edited:
Ace, I looked at your roster from a few weeks ago. It has Yu Darvish in it. I don't think he's gonna be ready for the season's start. I definitely want him in mine if he's healthy but he will return mid

I have 2 pitchers from that roster that won't be ready for opening day. I picked up Corbin for Jon gray, and Sonny Gray for Darvish. I'm getting closer but still need to make sure everyone is ready for opening day. I'll try and post a new roster sometime today.

The roster total in my formula depends upon the prices for your catchers & closers....players who will be in the lineup basically all of the time. The cheaper those 6 players are, the higher your total roster total can be...and vice versa.

I found a good link for batting lineups & pitching rotations that also gives fantasy outlook predictions for every player:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ances since I only have a 100 bucks invested.

Here is the way my formula for a roster total works....and it's just to get a rough benchmark. Nothing magical about the exact number.

1) Add up the total prices for your 4 closers & 2 catchers that you plan on starting.

2) Subtract that number from 30.0M.

3) Divide what you have left by 22. (That gives you an average price for the other 22 starters to reach the 30.0M cap.)

4) Multiply that average price/player from step #3 by 34 (all the players on your roster other than the closers & catchers) and add the total from step #1 to it.

This is what I call a "roster neutral price". If your total roster price gets much above that number you will have trouble getting bench players into your lineup. If your roster total falls way below that number, you can easily make changes, but you are not maximizing your talent....assuming that a player's price = his talent.

Unless you want to spend a bunch of money on two guys who are not worth the risk for the price, in my opinion, 2nd base is a really crappy position this year.

I'm looking at about 5 guys now....and don't really like any of them. (Odor, Panik, LeMahieu, Lawrie & Schoop)

Unless you want to spend a bunch of money on two guys who are not worth the risk for the price, in my opinion, 2nd base is a really crappy position this year.

I'm looking at about 5 guys now....and don't really like any of them. (Odor, Panik, LeMahieu, Lawrie & Schoop)

I like Schoop and Spangenberg at 590k is a guy you have to take a chance on. He is a every day player that helps your roster by just being cheap. If he produces (which I think he will) that's just gravy.

I like Schoop and Spangenberg at 590k is a guy you have to take a chance on. He is a every day player that helps your roster by just being cheap. If he produces (which I think he will) that's just gravy.

First time I've even looked at Spangenberg. Guess I'm like many people, according to the article on him....never even bother to check on SD hitters. Anyway, here are his advantages & disadvantages as I see them....considering that you have to evaluate him a little differently in the points leagues, since you don't have separate categories & have to look at overall production on a points basis:

Advantages:

1) He's very cheap at 1170K....that's definitely his biggest advantage.
2) Looks like he is going to hit 2nd in the batting order. That's always good for points, as opposed to a guy like him batting 8th.
3) He's seems to have decent OBP potential for a very cheap guy, as well as some speed for modest steals.

Disadvantages:

1) No power & very little RBI potential. Not surprising and to be expected, all things considered.
2) Run potential limited...even hitting 2nd...by SD's weak lineup.

Here are some prices for 2B in the points leagues:

Altuve - 2780K
Dozier - 2560K
Cano - 2510K
Kinsler - 2420K
Kipnis - 2400K
Gordon - 2370K

Don't want any of those guys at those prices.

LaMahieu - 1890K (He's on the expensive side, but hitting 2nd in that Rockies lineup I think his numbers are going to continue to get better. He set career highs everywhere last year after becoming the Rockies' regular 2B. He's just a little risky at that price...and doesn't have much power.)
Lawrie - 1660K (A lot depends on whether he hits 2nd or near the bottom in the White Sox lineup)
Odor - 1630K (Definitely the biggest upside, according to every source I've read.)
Panik - 1480K (Steady and improving. Could bat 2nd, which would help. Decent all-around, but not exceptional anywhere.)
Schoop - 1260K (Excellent cheap power, though he's slated to hit 7th or 8th, due to poor OBP & strikeout tendencies.)
Spangenberg - 1170K (Covered above)

If he wasn't injured until mid-May or so, I'd almost surely take Devon Travis (1330K) in that Toronto lineup as one of my three guys at the position.

Last edited:
IU sure ran into a buzz-saw last night. UNC only has 1 weakness and that is the 3 point shot, and they were on last night. If they continue that level of play no one will beat them.

Going to post my newest roster here in a few minutes. Please feel free to pick it apart.....I need all the help I can get. :)

This is my latest team. I couldn't decide between Grichuk and Piscotty so i took them both. I do know 1 thing...stl always seem to know what they are doing. I expect both these guys will work out. Might not be stars this year but you can bet they are players.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 1,070,000
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 700,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 1,290,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,660,000
2B Gordon, Dee 2B,UT - MIA 1,280,000
2B Spangenberg, Cory 2B,UT - SD 590,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 1,280,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 860,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,010,000
SS Marte, Ketel SS,UT - SEA 630,000
OF Grichuk, Randal OF,UT - STL 750,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,510,000
OF Kim, Hyun Soo OF,UT - BAL 650,000
OF Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 1,180,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 680,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,670,000
UT Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 1,540,000
UT Hosmer, Eric 1B,UT - KC 1,170,000
SP Cole, Gerrit SP,P - PIT 1,130,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP,P - ARI 760,000
SP Harvey, Matt SP,P - NYM 1,190,000
SP Iglesias, Raisel SP,P - CIN 590,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,280,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,150,000
RP Davis, Wade RP,P - KC 1,170,000
RP Giles, Ken RP,P - HOU 1,110,000
RP Street, Huston RP,P - LAA 1,100,000
P McGee, Jake RP,P - COL 870,000
Total 29,870,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 630,000
Seager, Corey SS,UT - LAD 930,000
Conforto, Michael OF,UT - NYM 670,000
Schwarber, Kyle OF,UT - CHC 920,000
Archer, Chris SP,P - TB 1,040,000
Fernández, José SP,P - MIA 1,250,000
Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 1,070,000
Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,700,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - WAS 1,520,000
Severino, Luis SP,P - NYY 700,000
Syndergaard, Noah SP,P - NYM 1,020,000
Melancon, Mark RP,P - PIT 1,240,000
Total 12,690,000

I am in 2nd in my NCAA "high rollers" bracket. 8 of us put in $50 with the winner taking all. The guy in first has Mich. st. winning it all so I am in good shape. Still a lot could happen and I don't know who everyone has left....i just get text updates. lol

I am in 2nd in my NCAA "high rollers" bracket. 8 of us put in $50 with the winner taking all. The guy in first has Mich. st. winning it all so I am in good shape. Still a lot could happen and I don't know who everyone has left....i just get text updates. lol

I'm pulling for the "V" teams now that the Hoosiers are out of it......Virginia & Villanova.

(Who do you have in the contest? You didn't say.)

Back