• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I'm going to have quite a few changes this weekend. I'm ok with that since I kind of eased into this season. Never have I ignored ST stats like this year. I will do some checking on my players over the weekend.

I usually don't make 1 change at a time. I like to take notes and let things come together. One guy I am trying to fit in is Delino Deshields jr. He is 800k outfielder for Texas. Some say he could steal as many as 45 bases this year. That would allow me to drop Dee Gordon and add somewhere else and so on and so on...you get the jiff. Also have a couple pitchers coming off injuries (Fernandez/Wainwright) who I can't decide if they need to prove themselves first. Then we still have the issue with Harvey...though I think he is fine.

I am also looking at going back to closers that strike out a lot of batters instead of the ones who will give you the most saves. You will still do well in saves and they really improve K's/era/whip on the pitching side. They is something I have kind of gotten away from the last few years.

I usually don't make 1 change at a time. I like to take notes and let things come together. One guy I am trying to fit in is Delino Deshields jr. He is 800k outfielder for Texas. Some say he could steal as many as 45 bases this year. That would allow me to drop Dee Gordon and add somewhere else and so on and so on...you get the jiff. Also have a couple pitchers coming off injuries (Fernandez/Wainwright) who I can't decide if they need to prove themselves first. Then we still have the issue with Harvey...though I think he is fine.

I am also looking at going back to closers that strike out a lot of batters instead of the ones who will give you the most saves. You will still do well in saves and they really improve K's/era/whip on the pitching side. They is something I have kind of gotten away from the last few years.

I've read at least a couple of articles that include Dee Gordon on its potential "bust" list this year. Not that he will completely flop, but just that he will under-perform his price. I tend to agree with that. After much consternation about the 2nd base position (think I mentioned that in an earlier post), I've decided on Odor, Panik & Schoop. Not expecting great things out of those guys...but I just feel that, due to their low prices, it is a low-risk situation with some decent upside potential. You can't get all the very best players at every position. And as I have said, I don't have to focus that much on steals in the points league. They still count for nice points, but without a scoring category just for steals, they can be replaced with walks & extra base hits, so they are not as critical as in roto scoring.

About the only areas that I am still looking at are my two cheap catchers, Conforte & possibly Familia. Other than Familia, none of those guys are critical to my team plans. After adding Santana, my roster total is very reasonable. I don't need to cut any more....and I could probably actually add up to 200K or so if I found someone I really liked.

Familia has been awful in ST, but closing for the Mets this year is a very good job. I've looked at Ramos, who is 200K cheaper & can match Familia in strikeouts, but I'm just not convinced that he will get sufficient save opps in Miami.

Don't know who you now have for closers, but Cody Allen gets a lots of strikeouts...and I think Cleveland is going to be competitive in the AL Central this year with Kluber, Carrasco & Salazar forming a solid rotation and those good young players like Lindor & Brantley.

I've read at least a couple of articles that include Dee Gordon on its potential "bust" list this year. Not that he will completely flop, but just that he will under-perform his price. I tend to agree with that. After much consternation about the 2nd base position (think I mentioned that in an earlier post), I've decided on Odor, Panik & Schoop. Not expecting great things out of those guys...but I just feel that, due to their low prices, it is a low-risk situation with some decent upside potential. You can't get all the very best players at every position. And as I have said, I don't have to focus that much on steals in the points league. They still count for nice points, but without a scoring category just for steals, they can be replaced with walks & extra base hits, so they are not as critical as in roto scoring.

About the only areas that I am still looking at are my two cheap catchers, Conforte & possibly Familia. Other than Familia, none of those guys are critical to my team plans. After adding Santana, my roster total is very reasonable. I don't need to cut any more....and I could probably actually add up to 200K or so if I found someone I really liked.

Familia has been awful in ST, but closing for the Mets this year is a very good job. I've looked at Ramos, who is 200K cheaper & can match Familia in strikeouts, but I'm just not convinced that he will get sufficient save opps in Miami.

Don't know who you now have for closers, but Cody Allen gets a lots of strikeouts...and I think Cleveland is going to be competitive in the AL Central this year with Kluber, Carrasco & Salazar forming a solid rotation and those good young players like Lindor & Brantley.

This is my roster after many adjustments today. I added Jansen since he is great across the board as a closer. (also added Miller) Going cheaper with the SP I hope to get a bump with my closers. Going to add Cole Hammels once I decide who to drop. He went 7-1 after moving to Texas last year. He could have a really nice year in the AL. I am a little under 42 mil. I will have to go back and find your number. lol

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 1,070,000
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 700,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 1,290,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,660,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 840,000
2B Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 630,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 1,280,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 860,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,010,000
SS Marte, Ketel SS,UT - SEA 630,000
OF DeShields, Delino OF,UT - TEX 800,000
OF Grichuk, Randal OF,UT - STL 750,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,510,000
OF Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 1,180,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 680,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,670,000
UT Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 1,540,000
UT Park, Byung Ho 1B,UT - MIN 800,000
SP Archer, Chris SP,P - TB 1,040,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP,P - ARI 760,000
SP Iglesias, Raisel SP,P - CIN 590,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,700,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,280,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,150,000
RP Davis, Wade RP,P - KC 1,170,000
RP Giles, Ken RP,P - HOU 1,110,000
RP Miller, Andrew RP,P - NYY 1,180,000
P Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 1,070,000
Total 29,950,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Spangenberg, Cory 2B,UT - SD 590,000
Seager, Corey SS,UT - LAD 930,000
Conforto, Michael OF,UT - NYM 670,000
Schwarber, Kyle OF,UT - CHC 920,000
Cole, Gerrit SP,P - PIT 1,130,000
Fernández, José SP,P - MIA 1,250,000
Harvey, Matt SP,P - NYM 1,190,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - WAS 1,520,000
Severino, Luis SP,P - NYY 700,000
Syndergaard, Noah SP,P - NYM 1,020,000
Jansen, Kenley RP,P - LAD 1,190,000
McGee, Jake RP,P - COL 870,000
Total 11,980,000

I thought Panik was an OF. Definitely will have to take another look at him.

I made one big change after all. Dropped Arrieta and picked up Kluber. I decided that I didn't want to pay for Arrieta's career year....and when you dig into the numbers, Kluber didn't really pitch that much worse when he went 9-16 last year than he did the year before when he won 18 games and the Cy Young Award....and he is significantly cheaper than Arrieta (particularly in your league...1230K to 1490K. He is only 190K cheaper in the points league: 2820K to 3010K....which may indicate that because of Kluber's higher innings & strikeouts potential, he is relatively more valuable to Arrieta in the points league than in the roto league).

In the points league, all that counts are innings, strikeouts & wins....and wins are mostly out of the SP's control. In 2014, Kluber's innings/strikeouts were monsters: 235/269. Even last year, though....when he only won 9 games....they were 222/245. His ERA went up from 2.44 to 3.49 (still not bad) and his batting average against actually went down...from .233 to .231. And his WHIP only went up from 1.05 to 1.16. So my conclusion is that Kluber had a hell of a lot of bad luck last year.

Also, Arrieta doesn't have a history of performing anywhere close to what he did last year.....particularly with innings pitched & strikeouts, which is what is important in the points league. Arrieta has had six years in the big leagues, are here are his innings totals: 100, 119, 114, 75, 156, 229. And his ERA in those first 4 years was 4.66, 5.05, 6.20 & 4.78. Obviously, since Baltimore sent him to the Cubs he has been a different pitcher.

Both guys are around the same age: Arrieta is 30 & Kluber is 29. This move definitely falls under the "high risk/high reward" label, because many more teams will have Arrieta than will have Kluber, in my opinion. Don't know how they would compare in roto, exactly, but I definitely think that Kluber has a good chance to get more innings & strikeouts than Arrieta...which is a key in the points league....and for less money.

Last edited:
This is my roster after many adjustments today. I added Jansen since he is great across the board as a closer. (also added Miller) Going cheaper with the SP I hope to get a bump with my closers. Going to add Cole Hammels once I decide who to drop. He went 7-1 after moving to Texas last year. He could have a really nice year in the AL. I am a little under 42 mil. I will have to go back and find your number. lol

With my formula....and using your best 4 closers all the time....your roster-neutral price would be 42.86M. Since you have a 5th closer who is cheaper, if you added your catchers and 80% of the total of the 5 closers, that price would go up to 42.99M (since you could have a cheaper closer at times).

Using the worst-case basis, though, with your 4 best closers, that 42.86M price would be very workable. And to recap, what that means is that your 2 catchers & 4 closers would cost a combined 6.42M....leaving 23.58M for your other 22 starters each week (an average of 1072K/player). If your total roster price was 42.86M, that means all the 34 players on your roster other than the 2 catchers & 4 closers would be averaging exactly 1072K/player.

It may be better to be slightly under that number for flexibility...but there is really no need to get very far below that number, in my opinion. For example, I see no advantage at all to have a roster under, say, 42.50M in that scenario. Actually, you could live with a number that is anywhere from 250K above or below the 42.86M, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
A.J. Pollock

Pollock fractured his right elbow in a head-first slide at home in the Diamondbacks' 7-4 exhibition victory over the Kansas City Royals on Friday night. Pollock, in the major league lineup for the first time since being sidelined with an elbow problem early in spring training, held his arm in obvious pain as he left the field. Manager Chip Hale said Pollock would undergo surgery and there was no timetable for his return.

ETA: This is just one more reason why I prefer Salary Cap to Draft Leagues. According to FantasyPros, Pollock's ADP this year has been #16....which makes him an early to mid-2nd round draft pick. How would you like to begin the season by losing your 2nd round pick two days before Opening Day?

Last edited:
Copy team option

I never came across this option until today while I was filling out my other 2 Rookie teams. It allows you to copy your roster from 1 team to another. Would have been great last year when I had 4 teams. Still, by using this tool you only have to make changes to 1 team each week and simply copy to your other teams. Will keep them in the same order as well.

I never came across this option until today while I was filling out my other 2 Rookie teams. It allows you to copy your roster from 1 team to another. Would have been great last year when I had 4 teams. Still, by using this tool you only have to make changes to 1 team each week and simply copy to your other teams. Will keep them in the same order as well.

I have 4 teams this year......3 bronze & 1 silver. I'm assuming that you can also copy to both of these? (That would be like rookie & gold in roto.)

I have 4 teams this year......3 bronze & 1 silver. I'm assuming that you can also copy to both of these? (That would be like rookie & gold in roto.)

I tried to copy my last changes and it didn't work. I presume it is just for setting up your initial rosters.

Deadline to enter a team is noon tomorrow.

Deadline to set opening lineup & roster is 1 PM tomorrow.

Who are going to pick up for Pollock? He is similar in price to Blackmon and they are similar players....but I liked Pollock much more than Blackmon. Guess I need to replace him with an outfielder since I only have 9 including Pollock....but I may get one who is quite a bit cheaper and upgrade another position, since...for roughly that money... I don't really like any of the outfielders that are in Pollock's price range: Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Ryan Braun, Cargo, Michael Brantley, JD Martinez, Sterlin Marte & Blackmon.

Does Schwarber have an every day spot in the Cubs' lineup? If he does, I might go back and pick him up again. He is 830K cheaper than Pollock in the points league (1760K to 2590K). I could do a lot with an extra 830K.

Last edited:
Deadline to enter a team is noon tomorrow.

Deadline to set opening lineup & roster is 1 PM tomorrow.

Who are going to pick up for Pollock? He is similar in price to Blackmon and they are similar players....but I liked Pollock much more than Blackmon. Guess I need to replace him with an outfielder since I only have 9 including Pollock....but I may get one who is quite a bit cheaper and upgrade another position, since...for roughly that money... I don't really like any of the outfielders that are in Pollock's price range: Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Ryan Braun, Cargo, Michael Brantley, JD Martinez, Sterlin Marte & Blackmon.

Does Schwarber have an every day spot in the Cubs' lineup? If he does, I might go back and pick him up again. He is 830K cheaper than Pollock in the points league (1760K to 2590K). I could do a lot with an extra 830K.

I didn't have Pollock and was a little worried about not having him. If the injury had to happen then I wish it would have been after opening day. I have Marte who is an injury risk. I think Blackmon is the most similar player as you stated. i still have Schwarber on my team. They say he will be assigned to catch for a pitcher which would give him a 100+ more at bats. Hard to believe he is my only Cub player this year. They are all so expensive and the stars play at deep positions.
I am keeping an eye on that situation as well but there may not be any news before the deadline.

Other than that my lineup is set except for 1 pitching spot. Right now I have Fernandez. Replacements that I am considering are:
deGrom
King Felix
Strasbugh

Any thoughts on which guy is the best pick?

Strasburg is the only one I have out of those three....though I also like deGrom. For some reason, I've cooled toward Felix. I guess one thing is that I think Washington & the Mets are going to win a lot more games than Seattle this year.

(I think that Marte is also a similar player to Pollock....and he & Blackmon are priced almost the same. Don't think that either of them could come close to the overall numbers that Pollock put up last year. Of course, it's doubtful that Pollock could have repeated those numbers, either. Pollock came upon the seen so quietly that, particularly playing in Arizona, many people didn't realize just how good of a year he had: 111-20-76-39-.315. That's pretty friggin' awesome!)

I was really stoked about Cueto going to a pitcher's park in SF. Seemed a perfect fit being a ground ball pitcher and fly balls tend to stay in the park. Then again he seems to run out of gas or gets hurt near seasons end. He is having a terrible spring. Could be a double switch in my future...Fernandez/Cueto for Wainwright/Strasburg. I think waaay too much the last day or so. lol

Looks like Villanova forgot to read Buddy Hield's press clippings. He has 7 points at the half.

My guess is that it's going to be Villanova vs UNC on Monday night....which should be a heckuva game.

I sure hope so. A title for UNC is the only way I win now.

Ace, you got me torn on whether to take Burns from Oakland or Deshields. Any more thoughts to sway me one direction or another?

So my roster was at about 42.05 M as of this morning, so i just did some "fluffing." Upgraded Salvy Perez and Wacha for Posey and Syndegard. I think both of those pickups are due for a nice year and Syndegard could be a must have by the end of the season. Still didnt find a way to get Scherzer or Kershaw in my opening day roster because I like my "expensive" and upper-middle tier guys like Wainwright, Fernandez, Archer, Cole, Sale, Harvey. I imagine I'll pick up one or both of those guys mentioned by season's end. I'm glad we get 17 roster adjustments because that seems like a generous amount. Best of luck in your seasons, gentlemen

Ace, you got me torn on whether to take Burns from Oakland or Deshields. Any more thoughts to sway me one direction or another?

I got him hoping he would make up for the SB's I will lose by dropping Gordon. I looked at Burns also.

Back