• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Oosthuizen and Westwood. Westwood is the pick that really surprised me. I lost with him a couple times, but at least it was in the British open. lol

I like Westwood, but taking those two guys over Jordan Spieth or Adam Scott is insane. You have a very good chance to at least win the 5-man contest and a decent chance to win the whole thing.

This may be the quickest I lost a player for the season. Kyle Schwarber is out for the year with a terrible injury. No real reason to replace him right away. That makes 2 players that are deadwood on my team in the first week. Not a great start for the River Pirates.

I'm rethinking not replacing Schwarber right away. It's obvious not having Story was a mistake. Of course he won't continue this pace, but his numbers for the money makes him a must have on your team. I don't know who I want to replace Schwarber in the OF. I might as well add Story as my 4th SS until I decide who I want in the OF. Hopefully my SS position will shake out enough to decide who to drop for an OF. My team/s are having a solid day so far today and have me going back in the other direction.

Slipped a little yesterday, from 2-28 to 3-59 in Bronze & from 5-14 to 8-26 in Silver. The standings can jump around quickly this early in the year. Also, due to two rainouts this week I have no SPs going today...on a Sunday when you usually have some SPs making their 2nd start for the week. This also pushed Scherzer & Kluber to two starts next week (and dropped Strasburg from two starts back to one start)....making a 2nd week lineup change necessary. In order to get those two high-priced SPs in my lineup I had no sacrifice a little hitting....though I was still able to get most of my top hitters in the lineup because 2-start SPs Corbin & Rodon are so cheap. Took out Goldschmidt & Trout....but both have 6 games on the road, anyway....and Goldschmidt's are in two tough parks for hitters (Dodgers & Padres). Always hate to have Trout on the bench, even in 6-game road weeks, but you have to have Scherzer & Kluber in for 2-starts and I decided it was better to make one big change (Piscotty with 6 games at home against weak pitching (Milwaukee & Cincinnati for Trout) than to compromise several hitters. That way, I have all four of those 3rd basemen in the lineup, along with Rizzo, Harper, Upton, Betts, Posey, Correa & Springer (7 games at home), etc. Here's the way it stacks up for next week:

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C McCann, James C,UT - DET 1,080,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 2,150,000
1B Park, Byung Ho 1B,UT - MIN 1,600,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 2,990,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 1,630,000
2B Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 1,260,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 3,030,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 1,690,000
SS Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 2,370,000
SS Story, Trevor SS,UT - COL 1,200,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 2,330,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 3,000,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 1,460,000
OF Sano, Miguel OF,UT - MIN 1,840,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 2,260,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - DET 2,540,000
UT Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 2,670,000
UT Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 2,460,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP - ARI 1,530,000
SP Kluber, Corey SP - CLE 2,820,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP - CHW 1,440,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP - WAS 3,240,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP - WAS 2,580,000
SP Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM 1,820,000
RP Allen, Cody RP - CLE 2,210,000
RP Britton, Zach RP - BAL 2,330,000
RP Davis, Wade RP - KC 2,410,000
RP Ramos, A.J. RP - MIA 2,020,000
Total 59,960,000

RESERVE
Pos Player Salary
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 1,300,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 2,790,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 3,240,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 1,480,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,840,000
OF Conforto, Michael OF,UT - NYM 1,260,000
OF Santana, Domingo OF,UT - MIL 1,000,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 3,310,000
SP Archer, Chris SP - TB 2,560,000
SP Carrasco, Carlos SP - CLE 2,220,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD 3,350,000
SP Sale, Chris SP - CHW 2,960,000
SP Severino, Luis SP - NYY 1,350,000
Total 28,660,000

welp, when it rains it pours. Already dead last in ERA and the only pitcher I had was Matz who gave up 7 runs in less than 2 innings. I think I'm going to need to pick up Kershaw sooner than I wanted to. By the end of last season I had more purchases left than I really needed. I need to use them more willingly this year

Very early deadline for your lineups tomorrow.

I made my lineup for next week on Tuesday. I always do it early in the week, then continue to monitor it for injuries and SP changes due to rainouts, etc. All three of my Bronze teams are 7th in the league (out of 25). Holding my own so far....23rd percentile overall (152nd out of 675)....but nothing outstanding. Hope to make a move today, as I have 3 SPs going: Kluber, Lester & Corbin. Then next week I have 4 SPs with two starts (Strasburg, Syndergaard, Carrasco, Rodon) & my one-start SPs are Kershaw & Sale....and most of those are home starts against fairly weak teams, so that's a strong pitching lineup for next week.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 2,150,000
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 1,300,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 2,790,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 3,240,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 1,480,000
2B Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 1,260,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 3,030,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 1,690,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,840,000
SS Story, Trevor SS,UT - COL 1,200,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 2,330,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 3,000,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 1,460,000
OF Sano, Miguel OF,UT - MIN 1,840,000
OF Santana, Domingo OF,UT - MIL 1,000,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 3,310,000
UT Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 2,460,000
UT Conforto, Michael OF,UT - NYM 1,260,000
SP Carrasco, Carlos SP - CLE 2,220,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD 3,350,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP - CHW 1,440,000
SP Sale, Chris SP - CHW 2,960,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP - WAS 2,580,000
SP Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM 1,820,000
RP Allen, Cody RP - CLE 2,210,000
RP Britton, Zach RP - BAL 2,330,000
RP Davis, Wade RP - KC 2,410,000
RP Ramos, A.J. RP - MIA 2,020,000
Total 59,980,000

RESERVE
Pos Player Salary
C McCann, James C,UT - DET 1,080,000
1B Park, Byung Ho 1B,UT - MIN 1,600,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 2,990,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 1,630,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 2,670,000
SS Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 2,370,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 2,260,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - DET 2,540,000
SP Archer, Chris SP - TB 2,560,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP - ARI 1,530,000
SP Kluber, Corey SP - CLE 2,820,000
SP Lester, Jon SP - CHC 2,680,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP - WAS 3,240,000
Total 29,970,000

Last edited:
I would really like to get Sale in, but doubt that will happen. I need Corbin to do well today to give me the confidence to leave him in next week. I have some hot hitters on the bench who need to be playing. No matter how the weekend ends it will be a high risk high reward week for me next week. So far I am leaving Kershaw/Scherzer in all the time. Almost have to with the other pitchers on my team. I think I need to pay the most attention to hitting right now. In the past it seemed harder to makeup ground with hitting then with pitching.

Do you have Rodon? I think he is going to have a very good year as a cheap SP option. He was spectacular in college (played down here at NC State) and was the 3rd overall pick in the 2014 draft. Last year in his first year with the White Sox he had a 3.75 ERA, winning 9 games and had 139 K's in 139 innings. So far this year he has had two road games....losing 2-1 & winning 3-0. He has a 1.38 ERA with 12 K's in 13 innings.

Rodon is 1440K in the points league, which should make him somewhere in the neighborhood of 720K in roto. He has two home games this week against the Angels & Rangers.

Do you have Rodon? I think he is going to have a very good year as a cheap SP option. He was spectacular in college (played down here at NC State) and was the 3rd overall pick in the 2014 draft. Last year in his first year with the White Sox he had a 3.75 ERA, winning 9 games and had 139 K's in 139 innings. So far this year he has had two road games....losing 2-1 & winning 3-0. He has a 1.38 ERA with 12 K's in 13 innings.

Rodon is 1440K in the points league, which should make him somewhere in the neighborhood of 720K in roto. He has two home games this week against the Angels & Rangers.

I do not have Rodon. The guy who has my eyes popping out is Vince Velásquez. 2 wins with 25k's in 15 innings. Zero era with a whip around 066. They are going to control his innings, pitch count, but he is 450k!

Like Demon said we now have too many pickups to sit on them. Patience was my friend in the past, but it doesn't pay off these days. After last year I plan to make more moves early.

Last edited:
I've had a good day so far, with Corbin still to go....and it could have been even better if the Cubs could've scored a couple of runs at home against Colorado to get a win for Lester. He pitched 7.1 innings & struck out 10, but left trailing 1-0, so I can't get those 10 points for a win. As it is, my bronze teams have gone from 7/7/7-152 up to 5/5/3-81. To give you an idea of how much those extra 10 points would have done for me, if you add those 10 points my teams would now be 3/5/2-59.

Kluber was pretty bad again today for the 3rd straight start. Gave up 6 runs in the first two innings, though he did hang around for 6 innings and got 8 strikeouts for 14 total points. I made a last minute roster mistake dropping Arrieta for him to save 290K.

ETA: Velasquez came to the Phillies in the Ken Giles trade. So far, Giles has been a flop, so the rebuilding Phillies have done well so far with that one.

Last edited:
I've had a good day so far, with Corbin still to go....and it could have been even better if the Cubs could've scored a couple of runs at home against Colorado to get a win for Lester. He pitched 7.1 innings & struck out 10, but left trailing 1-0, so I can't get those 10 points for a win. As it is, my bronze teams have gone from 7/7/7-152 up to 5/5/3-81. To give you an idea of how much those extra 10 points would have done for me, if you add those 10 points my teams would now be 3/5/2-59.

Kluber was pretty bad again today for the 3rd straight start. Gave up 6 runs in the first two innings, though he did hang around for 6 innings and got 8 strikeouts for 14 total points. I made a last minute roster mistake dropping Arrieta for him to save 290K.

ETA: Velasquez came to the Phillies in the Ken Giles trade. So far, Giles has been a flop, so the rebuilding Phillies have done well so far with that one.

I don't know what is wrong with Giles. He can't get anyone out from even a reliever role. Would love to see a cheap closer come along so I could drop him and make room for a big bat. I'm relying on too many young guys right now. I didn't really start this year with a plan, so my moves are very stat oriented so far.

Quality start for Corbin. His era is good but whip needs some work....nice win

I don't know what is wrong with Giles. He can't get anyone out from even a reliever role. Would love to see a cheap closer come along so I could drop him and make room for a big bat. I'm relying on too many young guys right now. I didn't really start this year with a plan, so my moves are very stat oriented so far.

Quality start for Corbin. His era is good but whip needs some work....nice win

In the points league, I am having to get used to not worrying about ERA & WHIP. Take Kluber's start today. I got a decent....not good, but decent....14 points out of him for his 6 innings & 8 strikeouts, even though he gave up 6 runs in the first two innings. That would have killed me in roto leagues, but the 6 runs didn't hurt me at all in points league....other than really hurting his chance to get a win. What you do have to have with SPs in points leagues are strikeouts. Corbin had 7 innings and only 1 strikeout in his first start this week. 8 points won't get the job done. Today, he got 23.7 points. The good SPs average 17-20 points per start. For example, 7 innings & 7 K's with a win gets you 24 points. The same performance without the win is 14. You just need strikeouts, innings & wins. Winning 7 to 6 is just as good as winning 7 to 0 as long as you hang in there and get the innings, strikeouts & a win.

It is hard to have Kershaw, Scherzer, and Arrieta. I thought they priced him too high though I figured he would have another good year. Probably have to figure out a way to add him at some point.

You mentioned that you were looking for a cheap closer. Jeanmar Gomez with the Phillies already has 4 saves & a win. Don't know what his price is in roto, but it has to be cheap. Also don't know how many games the Phillies will win...but even the worst teams could win 65-70 games, and the closer usually gets a save opp in many of those. I've put him on my watch list....something that I didn't use last year, but it makes it easier to check on some players that I want to follow without having to look them up by position. That way I can quickly check their stats and also see how well-owned they are.

Couple of other guys I'm watching are Trumbo & Cargo. Trumbo seems to be in a great situation in Baltimore, hitting in the middle of a good lineup in a great hitters' park. And everyone may have written Cargo off too quickly after he had that bad year in 2014 due to all the injuries. He bounced back with 40 HRs last year and is off to a great start this year. He and Justin Upton...who I took in my opening roster...are priced about the same. Seems like I've overrated Upton every year since he was in Arizona. The guy just has so much potential...and he's in a good situation in Detroit, too...but I really wish I had taken Cargo instead.

In the points league in particular, I'm not at all sure that Abreu or Rizzo is worth a million more than Trumbo at first base. And Trumbo is only 210K higher than Park, who hasn't done anything so far. Sano is also off to a terrible start. Resisting the urge to make any changes this week, since the White Sox have 7 games at home & Minnesota also has 7 games...while Baltimore & Colorado only have 6....but an Abreu+ Sano swap for Trumbo+Cargo would save money and probably strengthen my roster. Park+J Upton for Trumbo+Cargo might be even better.

Ended the week in about the best position I've been in after the first two weeks. My three bronze teams are 4-5-3 in the league and 75 out of 675 overall. Silver team isn't doing quite as well (13th out of 30 in the league and 36th out of 120 overall. Competition is always stronger in the silver & gold leagues than in the bronze & rookie leagues. Obviously, people who are investing $200-$400 in a team are going to be more serious players overall than people investing only $30-$40 in a team. Also, it looks like I may have been placed in a tough silver league. There are 4 30-team leagues, so 36th overall should be 9th in the league if all the leagues were exactly equal. Of course, after only 2 of 26 weeks, it's hard to make too much of the numbers.) As I said earlier, I think I have a great pitching lineup this week, so I'm hoping to move up a little more.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you were looking for a cheap closer. Jeanmar Gomez with the Phillies already has 4 saves & a win. Don't know what his price is in roto, but it has to be cheap. Also don't know how many games the Phillies will win...but even the worst teams could win 65-70 games, and the closer usually gets a save opp in many of those. I've put him on my watch list....something that I didn't use last year, but it makes it easier to check on some players that I want to follow without having to look them up by position. That way I can quickly check their stats and also see how well-owned they are.

Couple of other guys I'm watching are Trumbo & Cargo. Trumbo seems to be in a great situation in Baltimore, hitting in the middle of a good lineup in a great hitters' park. And everyone may have written Cargo off too quickly after he had that bad year in 2014 due to all the injuries. He bounced back with 40 HRs last year and is off to a great start this year. He and Justin Upton...who I took in my opening roster...are priced about the same. Seems like I've overrated Upton every year since he was in Arizona. The guy just has so much potential...and he's in a good situation in Detroit, too...but I really wish I had taken Cargo instead.

In the points league in particular, I'm not at all sure that Abreu or Rizzo is worth a million more than Trumbo at first base. And Trumbo is only 210K higher than Park, who hasn't done anything so far. Sano is also off to a terrible start. Resisting the urge to make any changes this week, since the White Sox have 7 games at home & Minnesota also has 7 games...while Baltimore & Colorado only have 6....but an Abreu+ Sano swap for Trumbo+Cargo would save money and probably strengthen my roster. Park+J Upton for Trumbo+Cargo might be even better.

Ended the week in about the best position I've been in after the first two weeks. My three bronze teams are 4-5-3 in the league and 75 out of 675 overall. Silver team isn't doing quite as well (13th out of 30 in the league and 36th out of 120 overall. Competition is always stronger in the silver & gold leagues than in the bronze & rookie leagues. Obviously, people who are investing $200-$400 in a team are going to be more serious players overall than people investing only $30-$40 in a team. Also, it looks like I may have been placed in a tough silver league. There are 4 30-team leagues, so 36th overall should be 9th in the league if all the leagues were exactly equal. Of course, after only 2 of 26 weeks, it's hard to make too much of the numbers.) As I said earlier, I think I have a great pitching lineup this week, so I'm hoping to move up a little more.

I dropped Giles for Velásquez. Giles wasn't going to win his job back any time soon no matter how well he pitched. Even if one of my closers got hurt i wouldn't put him in, so he was dead wood.

I dropped Park for Trumbo last night for all the reasons you mentioned. lol

I have used 3 purchases so far which is way out of character for me. One was due to injury while the other 2 was just opening day mistakes.

Gomez is 750k.

Last edited:
I agree that there was no reason to keep Giles. Fortunately for me, I dropped him before the opening deadline, so I didn't have to use a purchase there. Trying to assess mistakes regarding my opening day roster...and you always have a few...I may have overrated Kris Bryant and underrated Manny Machado. Bryant came onto the scene so strongly in ST last year and I have been slow to realize Machado's potential, but those two are similarly priced and I am beginning to think that Machado offers more value...particularly in roto leagues where Machado's steals & average are even more important than in points leagues. Since I also have Donaldson, Arenado & Franco, though, there is no reason to use a purchase for Machado....which would be more of a lateral move than anything else.

Kluber & Archer have been two expensive SPs who have really been disappointing so far. Still, I can't complain about being 4-5-3 in the leagues with my bronze teams after two weeks. It's not 2014...but it sure beats the heck out of last year.

I ended up not using any purchases this week, but I'm watching both Trumbo & Cargo closely. They are currently owned by only about 11% & 9% of the 675 bronze teams. Both were owned by 7% last week, but I noticed that 25 teams picked up Trumbo this week & 14 teams picked up Cargo.

I am middle of the pack with 2 teams at 13, and 1 at 10th. Not bad since I didn't have a good opening day roster. I have a good group of core players so I can still compete as long as I do a good job managing. I have 7 two start pitchers next week which is odd for this time of year. Have gained some ground back in saves and hate to give that back. That first week I went with just 3 closers and 1 of them was Giles, so I got off to a slow start.

That's one thing I don't like the points league...everyone has to have exactly 11 SPs (or 10 SPs & 5 closers)....and there is no "swing pitcher" position. You must use 6 SPs & 4 closers every week. I always liked to carry 13 SPs for flexibility and additional starts....and that would really help in points league scoring. Guess that's why they don't allow it. Bottom line...to me at least....is that you can't afford to take as many chances on cheap SPs in the points league, when you only have 11 SPs. And with only 11 SPs, it's hard to ever get more than 3 or 4 two-start guys in the same week. (I also think this means that it's to your advantage to save some purchases for late-season 2-start guys during the stretch run. You already have 8 hitters on the bench every week to go with the 5 pitchers (41-man rosters in points leagues)....so I feel that most of your purchases should probably be used for pitchers.

I have 14 starters right now. That is why I have so many starts next week. Archer is really struggling right now and has 2 home games with Bal./Tor. Two teams that have already rocked him this year. To get all the 2-start pitchers in i have to bench a closer, take out Syndergarrd who has SF (Cain) at home. I also have to take out Scherzer who has Philly at home. Those are practically for sure wins along with boosting my whip/era. maybe there will be some rain outs this weekend that will make my decisions easier. lol

I have 14 starters right now. That is why I have so many starts next week. Archer is really struggling right now and has 2 home games with Bal./Tor. Two teams that have already rocked him this year. To get all the 2-start pitchers in i have to bench a closer, take out Syndergarrd who has SF (Cain) at home. I also have to take out Scherzer who has Philly at home. Those are practically for sure wins along with boosting my whip/era. maybe there will be some rain outs this weekend that will make my decisions easier. lol

Rodon was an absolute total disaster last night. He only got one man out for a total of 1.33 points (the one out was a strikeout). A winning pitcher will get 20+ points. For example, 7 innings, 6 strikeouts & a win is 23 points. Other than that my team did well. Bronze teams ended the night 3-6-2 and up to 68th overall. With a win from Rodon, that last team would be in 1st this morning. Silver team edged up to 12-33 (though overall means nothing in the silver league. top 7 in league earn money.)

I am really looking forward to watching my new pitcher (Vince Velásquez 450k) pitch tonight against the Mets. He has already beat them once this year. 25 k's in 15 innings with an era of zero is insane. Also has a .600 whip. I akin him to Story as nobody is really that good. However, it's harder to hide a weak spot in hitting then it is in pitching. I think he is going to be very good this year for 450k.

Last edited:
Back