• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

See if anyone knows who said this:

"After I shut the door and started back to the living room, he yelled something at me, but I couldn't exactly hear him. I'm pretty sure he yelled "Good Luck!" at me. I hope not. I hope to hell not. I'd never yell "Good Luck!" at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it."

I don't remember it from the book, but it sounds like something Holden would say.

That was too easy. Chapter 2, Page 21. Last paragraph as Holden was leaving his meeting with "Old Spencer", his history teacher.

(Got it laying right here an arm's length away on a side table next to my lazy boy. Try to reread at least one of the 26 chapters every day, if possible. Of course, after reading the book regularly for more than 50 years now, I know most of what is in it by memory.)

Were you ever able to watch that PBS "American Masters" 2-hour special on Salinger? That is absolute "must-viewing" for anyone who really wishes to get a true understanding of what the man was all about. And it needs to be watched completely....from start to finish....with full attention and no distractions.

(Have that on DVR and also re-watch that at least once a month.)

We have had this discussion before....I thought Catcher was a depressing book to read. I really don't get it I suppose. While it has a cult-like following there are others who think it is not his best work.

Somebody must like it. It has sold 60 million copies...and still sells 250,000 copies every year. As screenwriter Robert Towne said in the documentary: "Like a whole generation of readers, I thought he was talking about me."

That's why I wanted you to see that PBS special (and it's 3 hours, rather than 2 hours)....in its entirety. That program does a great job of explaining Salinger....who he was, the background of his life that influenced his writings....and his uniqueness in all of literary history. For example, I bet you didn't know that Salinger was part of the landing force in France on D-Day. (He was carrying six chapters of "Catcher" with him when he hit the beach in a landing craft.) He stopped publishing in 1965...but kept writing every day for more than 40 years. That 3-hour special is simply mesmerizing.

Holden is Salinger.

I did know he was part of D-day. I do wonder how many of those 250k sold every year are by people like you that have multiple copies. How many for you? 5 or 6? I bet 99% of the graduating seniors in the town I live in have never heard of him.

OK, Carolina is a 2.5-point favorite. Are you going to let the whole $400 ride on the Heels....or buy some insurance on Nova to lock in a profit? Both teams are red-hot right now. I really believe both teams have an almost equal chance of winning tonight (as the line would indicate.) It would be a shame to get into this position and take any chance on losing the original $50 outlay. Of course, I am a conservative person....with my money, anyway! :)

Finally got ahold of my old bookie last night. He is no longer taking bets. There are a couple brothers where I work that will take bets, but that is not what they do. I'm on vacation so my Buddy Steve is going to try and see if 1 of them will take the bet.

Got a text this mourning and 1 of the guys is the one that will win if Villanova wins. lol He offered to split the pot but I said no thanks. His brother has already placed all his bets. Oh well

Last edited:
I've heard of split agreements like that, but which have an agreement that whoever has the winning team gets a larger share. For example, $250 or $300 goes to the guy who has the winning team, and $150 or $100 (depending on the arrangement) goes to the guy with the losing team. That might not be a bad idea. It's basically the same as laying off $100 to $200 on Villanova. Limits the gain but ensures against any loss. Of course, with Villanova getting 2.5 points, the first option I mentioned has the added benefit of potentially winning the entire $400 plus the layoff play....if Carolina won by 1 or 2 points. And that could happen....of course hitting a 2-point "middle" is against the odds.

No reason to risk losing the original $50, in any case. You are in a great position at this point.

Another great plan...thanks. I sent an offer that the winner gets $300. Not a bad deal since I have the favorite. I have been getting hit really hard this spring. Bought a new car and have yet to sell the old one. Taxes and plates in March for both along with 6 month bill on both for insurance. Petey (my dog) has his annual which is about another $300. Seems like I have been spending more than I make here lately. Of course there is added expense getting the yard and such going. That part I like. I planted some spearmint 2 years ago (1 plant) and it is coming up on the other side of my house. To me that is amazing....I like it in my tea. lol

So who do you like to win the masters, Bud. They have another $50 dollar entry pot up for that event. I just don't keep up with that sport. I tune in on Sunday afternoon. lol

My cheap pitcher Iglesias had a pretty good start today. Gave up 2 runs in 6 innings striking out 7. Didn't get the win and was pitching against a terrible Phillies team.

Glad I went with 5 closers since Gregerson was named the team's closer over Giles today. That is the first screw up for me so far with my opening roster. (that I am aware of) I knew Giles was struggling this spring, but didn't realize his job was in jeopardy. Lost a start already due to food poisoning. How the hell does that happen?

Thought I would post this in case it doesn't happen again this year. :)
Rk
1 River Pirates 184
2 Chasing Cars 175
3 Aidans Rose 168
4 Chris Sabos Goggles 165.5
5 Knightbreed 155.5

I changed two of my closers Saturday. Dropped Giles & Familia for Brittain & Davis. Giles had a terrible ST and Gregerson had 31 saves last year. Even though the Astros should win a lot of games this year, I didn't want to get mixed up in a team's closer battle.

I am completely pleased with my roster so far.

ETA: How many Rookie leagues does Fantrax have this year? As I posted earlier, in the points leagues they have 27 Bronze & 4 Silver.

I was so focused on whether to swap out Fernandez/Wainwright for Strasberg/Hammels that I didn't see that coming. I checked all my players status so I knew he had a poor spring. There was no mention of him not being the closer. I had thought they picked him to be their closer. Any thing can so I will hold on to him until I have to make a change.

I have to check and see how many leagues we have this year.

Struck a deal with the guy who is still in the running with me in the high rollers pot. Winner gets $300 and the loser gets $100. I also agreed to get in his $50 masters pot. I picked Rory McIlroy. That is not a bad pick since I am 6th to pick. Day went first who is the guy I would have picked. Go heals!

Another HR for Trevor Story off Greinke.

That is a terrific start for your guy. I was a little surprised how few teams have Greinke. He is ranked as a top 3 pitcher yet he is not well owned at all. Of course I never considered him so I guess others didn't as well.

Not the outcome I wanted in the championship, but I got my 50 bucks back, and am playing free in the masters contest. Not bad considering I never really won anything. lol

That is a terrific start for your guy. I was a little surprised how few teams have Greinke. He is ranked as a top 3 pitcher yet he is not well owned at all. Of course I never considered him so I guess others didn't as well.

Not the outcome I wanted in the championship, but I got my 50 bucks back, and am playing free in the masters contest. Not bad considering I never really won anything. lol

Playing in Arizona is tough on a guy's ERA & WHIP. Big change from Dodger Stadium. That probably had a lot to do with it, along with his hefty price, coming off his great season last year.

I've been watching baseball all night and didn't watch a single minute of the basketball game. I've gotten to the point that I really don't care anything at all about basketball anymore since they stopped playing the game by the rules. It's more like a circus now, with traveling & palming the ball everywhere & constant illegal contact that goes uncalled....though that game tonight must have been a decent one. Hate you lost the bigger prize, but I can't say that I'm sorry that Carolina got beat.

Playing in Arizona is tough on a guy's ERA & WHIP. Big change from Dodger Stadium. That probably had a lot to do with it, along with his hefty price, coming off his great season last year.

I've been watching baseball all night and didn't watch a single minute of the basketball game. I've gotten to the point that I really don't care anything at all about basketball anymore since they stopped playing the game by the rules. It's more like a circus now, with traveling & palming the ball everywhere & constant illegal contact that goes uncalled....though that game tonight must have been a decent one. Hate you lost the bigger prize, but I can't say that I'm sorry that Carolina got beat.

I don't cut out great pitchers by where they play. I just thought he was too expensive when you don't know what Greinke will show up this year.

I thought the basketball game tonight was poorly called even by today's standards. At least 6-8 travels not called in the first half. I am not talking palming since that happens every time up the court.....shuffling of the feet was rampant. I paid closer attention since I had something riding on the game.

I don't cut out great pitchers by where they play. I just thought he was too expensive when you don't know what Greinke will show up this year.

I thought the basketball game tonight was poorly called even by today's standards. At least 6-8 travels not called in the first half. I am not talking palming since that happens every time up the court.....shuffling of the feet was rampant. I paid closer attention since I had something riding on the game.

The game of basketball is beyond saving now. I've given up and thrown in the towel. If Coach Knight was still in it, I'm sure I would feel differently....but without him I just don't give a damn. I don't even watch any games on television now....and don't plan to ever go to another one for the rest of my life. As I said, I didn't watch a single minute of the game tonight...and it was for the national championship between two evenly matched teams.

Guess I shouldn't beat myself up over Giles. It was a surprise to him along with the team's beat writer.

I have really dropped today. Dropped 11 spots and am in the last place for the day. Of course I haven't registered a single stat today. :)

The season is early, I know, but this conserving $ at pitcher tactic hasn't started well. Shelby Miller gave up 6 last night and my opening day starters were below average. Sitting in 24th in pitching and dead last in ERA

That's the same information I had....but I decided to go ahead and drop Giles anyway. I still thought he was the closer when I did it, but I didn't think it was worth the risk when I saw that Gregerson had 31 saves last year and that the manager had already said that Giles might not get all the 9th inning save opps.

I think McIlroy is a good pick...especially if you picked 6th. He was 4th last year at Augusta and 8th the year before that.

Ended up with just 5 players, but I got McIlory. Turns out this is a $25 dollar bet paying whoever's golfer finishes the best. If he also happens to win the tournament then the bet/payout is $50. (nobody picked Jordan Spieth) Dustin Johnson and Day are my only competition. Of course McIlory passing Spieth and winning it all is worth another $100.

This may be the quickest I lost a player for the season. Kyle Schwarber is out for the year with a terrible injury. No real reason to replace him right away. That makes 2 players that are deadwood on my team in the first week. Not a great start for the River Pirates.

It's hard to believe that 5 people passed on Jordan Spieth. He's played the Masters twice....finishing 2nd & 1st.

Who were the other two picks in addition to McIlroy, Day & Dustin Johnson? I'm assuming that Adam Scott was probably one of them.

Oosthuizen and Westwood. Westwood is the pick that really surprised me. I lost with him a couple times, but at least it was in the British open. lol

Back