• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Personally, I like Piscotty better than Grichuk....especially for roto leagues. Grichuk has more power, but Piscotty is a more complete hitter....particularly hitting 2nd in the lineup. He can help in runs, steals & average.

Here is my latest lineup/roster....and it's getting closer & closer to a final one. Also, I have factored in the opening week schedule so that my starting lineup includes the SPs that I want to start during that first 8-day week. Opening Week always tends to be pitcher-heavy because all of your high-priced #1 SPs should get two starts....which makes it very difficult to get all of your best hitters in the lineup. That should only happen rarely during the rest of the season. The Mets & Washington only play 5 games in those 8 days....but it is still hard for me to believe that they will use a 5th starter instead of giving Harvey & Scherzer two starts in an 8-day period.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C McCann, James C,UT - DET 1,080,000
C Rupp, Cameron C,UT - PHI 1,120,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 2,790,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 3,240,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 1,630,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 1,480,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 2,670,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 1,690,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,840,000
SS Marte, Ketel SS,UT - SEA 1,200,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 1,460,000
OF Pollock, A.J. OF,UT - ARI 2,590,000
OF Sano, Miguel OF,UT - MIN 1,840,000
OF Schwarber, Kyle OF,UT - CHC 1,760,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 2,260,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 3,310,000
UT Park, Byung-ho 1B,UT - MIN 1,600,000
UT Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 1,260,000
SP Arrieta, Jake SP - CHC 3,010,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP - ARI 1,530,000
SP Harvey, Matt SP - NYM 2,610,000
SP Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD 3,350,000
SP Sale, Chris SP - CHW 2,960,000
SP Scherzer, Max SP - WAS 3,240,000
RP Allen, Cody RP - CLE 2,210,000
RP Familia, Jeurys RP - NYM 2,290,000
RP Giles, Ken RP - HOU 2,190,000
RP McGee, Jake RP - COL 1,560,000
Total 59,770,000

RESERVE
Pos Player Salary
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 2,990,000
3B Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 2,460,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 3,030,000
SS Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 2,370,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 2,330,000
OF Conforto, Michael OF,UT - NYM 1,260,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 3,000,000
OF Upton, Justin OF,UT - DET 2,540,000
SP Carrasco, Carlos SP - CLE 2,220,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP - CHW 1,440,000
SP Severino, Luis SP - NYY 1,350,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP - WAS 2,580,000
SP Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM 1,820,000
Total 29,390,000

Note: I'm going totally cheap at catcher...without even a backup....for a few weeks until I can see how a few catchers shake out. Looked hard at Castillo in Arizona, Martin with Toronto & d'Arnoud with the Mets, but had to save money somewhere, so I decided that catcher (and 2nd base, to a lesser extent) were the best places to do so. Pretty well-stocked at all the other positions.

My total roster price is 89.16M. My "neutral" price worked out to be 89.28M, so I'm in good shape there. Got some good hitters on the bench the first week: Harper (5 games), Donaldson, and Rizzo (6 road games to Abreu's 7 total games), but when I put a couple of lower-priced SPs in the 2nd week I shouldn't have any problems getting more hitters in the lineup.

Last edited:
I'm pulling for the "V" teams now that the Hoosiers are out of it......Virginia & Villanova.

(Who do you have in the contest? You didn't say.)

I have Kansas and NC in the final game so the game last night sunk me.

This could be a breakout year for Grichuk. The cards kept him in the playoffs when he couldn't even throw the ball. (just for his bat) he had to flip the ball to another OF. He was actually drafted ahead of Trout. Stl. moving outfielders tells me that have some players they are sure about. They are maybe the best run organization in baseball. Grichuk is 750k and I believe he will hit over 20 homers, maybe closer to 30. Piscotty will hit for average and score more runs. I'll probably drop 1 at some point during the season. Either one of these guys could have a breakout year.

I had McCann as a cheap catcher on my first team. I dropped him when I read he would get just a little over 300 at bats. Going with Posey this year. I haven't checked, but I bet if you go back and look at all those teams that beat us last year they had him.

I had McCann as a cheap catcher on my first team. I dropped him when I read he would get just a little over 300 at bats. Going with Posey this year. I haven't checked, but I bet if you go back and look at all those teams that beat us last year they had him.

It would take a long time to go back and look at all the teams that beat me last me. It seemed like it was close to all of them. LOL. I've been doing fantasy baseball for more than 20 years. 2014 was the best year I ever had, then 2015 was the worst year I ever had. Quite a humbling experience last year....coming off that fantastic 2014 when everything seemed so easy.

I went back and looked at Piscotty & Grichuk again. You may be right that Grichuk would be better...particularly for me, where BA isn't as important. Grichuk could definitely approach 30 HRs if he gets 550+ ABs. I was thinking that Piscotty might go something like 15 HRs/20 steals...but that might be a stretch. I don't have room for both and, actually, I don't have to get either of them. If I replace Piscotty, though, I need to get a guy somewhere around 1500K (750K to you in roto) unless I make a double move. My total roster budget needs to stay somewhere close to where it is now.

Also, I agree with you about St Louis. I've long said that St Louis was probably the best baseball town in the country....going all the way back to Dizzy Dean, Ducky Medwick, the Gas House Gang and on thru Stan Musial & Bob Gibson, etc. Other large cities have great fan interest as well, but they also have more popular pro teams in other sports. Baseball has always ruled the day in St Louis.

Re: McCann. My biggest concern with him is production, rather than playing time. The Tigers got rid of Avila and Martinez doesn't catch much anymore, does he? And McCann has had a pretty decent ST. Anyway, I mostly got him because he was dirt cheap & a starter in a really good offensive lineup. I've looked at Posey. He's definitely in a class by himself at the position. Oh well, still have a week to figure all of this out.

Schoop is a guy I keep reading could hit 30 home runs playing for Baltimore. Tulo is the last middle infielder I had that hit 30 HR's and he was pricey. Schoop is 630k. Just thought I would add that to the conversation.

There might be a cheap closer coming for Mil. Smith tore his ACL taking his shoes off. So much for world class athletes. lol

Last edited:
Schoop is a guy I keep reading could hit 30 home runs playing for Baltimore. Tulo is the last middle infielder I had that hit 30 HR's and he was pricey. Schoop is 630k. Just thought I would add that to the conversation.

There might be a cheap closer coming for Mil. Smith tore his ACL taking his shoes off. So much for world class athletes. lol

I already have Schoop. He is my third 2nd baseman to go with Odor & Panik...and is listed as DH in the last lineup I posted.

I think the best option for a cheap closer is probably Jake McGee in Colorado.

Last edited:
Pos Player Salary
C Pérez, Salvador C,UT - KC 830,000
C Realmuto, J.T. C,UT - MIA 700,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,660,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 1,470,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 840,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 760,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 1,280,000
3B Franco, Maikel 3B,UT - PHI 860,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,010,000
SS Semien, Marcus SS,UT - OAK 700,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 1,070,000
OF Burns, Billy OF,UT - OAK 860,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,510,000
OF Peralta, David OF,UT - ARI 950,000
OF Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 680,000
OF Yelich, Christian OF,UT - MIA 960,000
UT Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 1,290,000
UT Cain, Lorenzo OF,UT - KC 1,150,000
SP Archer, Chris SP,P - TB 1,040,000
SP Cole, Gerrit SP,P - PIT 1,130,000
SP Corbin, Patrick SP,P - ARI 760,000
SP Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 1,070,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP,P - CHW 750,000
SP Severino, Luis SP,P - NYY 700,000
RP Davis, Wade RP,P - KC 1,170,000
RP Familia, Jeurys RP,P - NYM 1,200,000
RP Jansen, Kenley RP,P - LAD 1,190,000
P Miller, Shelby SP,P - ARI 900,000
Total 28,490,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Cervelli, Francisco C,UT - PIT 680,000
Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 1,230,000
Correa, Carlos SS,UT - HOU 1,230,000
Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 1,180,000
Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,460,000
Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,670,000
Lawrie, Brett 2B,UT - CHW 820,000
Fernández, José SP,P - MIA 1,250,000
Matz, Steven SP,P - NYM 870,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,280,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,150,000
McGee, Jake RP,P - COL 870,000
Total 13,690,000

This is my team as of now. Will prob make a couple of minor changes but for the most part, this is it. I decided to focus on BA and runs scored more this year

You are not going to stay that much under cap with your starting lineup, are you? That's $1.5M left on the table for the first week.

Arizona plays 7 games during the first scoring period. I'm hoping that Corbin gets the nod for game #2 (after Greinke) because that means he would get two starts. It will either be Corbin or Miller, but I've haven't seen it announced yet. All the teams should be putting out their opening pitching rotations in the next couple of days.

I'm almost certain that Sale & Wainwright will get two starts....as will Archer, Cole & Gray. Rodon & Severino will only get one start. Either Miller or Corbin will get two starts, with the other only getting one. Matz will only get one start.....and I think Jose Fernandez is only going to get one start, since he isn't pitching on opening day for some reason.

that's not my starting lineup, only my roster. I should probably set my weekly lineup now, to make sure it works out smoothly everywhere

that's not my starting lineup, only my roster. I should probably set my weekly lineup now, to make sure it works out smoothly everywhere

I didn't figure that it was, but I just thought I would mention it....more to get a conversation started on 1st week pitching rotations than anything else. It's hard to set a starting lineup until teams release their pitching rotation order to begin the season...but that should be happening very soon.

Wonder if we are going to get any more players? Right now we only have 4 players that I know of....you, ace, my nephew in Seattle & me. And my nephew almost never posts here...or at least he hasn't in the past. Don't know whatever happened to Diego Tiger. He played the first two years here, but hasn't the last two years. A little over a dollar per week is certainly cheap entertainment for anyone who has any interest in fantasy baseball. Almost everyone plays in draft leagues, but I just like salary cap so much better. Anyway, they still have 6 days to sign up. (Or ask questions about it on this thread.)

Harvey shut down for the rest of spring training without any reason being given.

I haven't started working on my first week roster. Got a little help today though since my boy Raisel Iglesias (CIN 590k) was named opening day starter. Anybody else think he may be for real?

Harvey shut down for the rest of spring training without any reason being given.

I dropped him this afternoon for Archer.....after making the reverse trade a few days ago. The Mets might allow Harvey to get a few more wins....if he can stay healthy.... but Archer had over 250Ks last year.

RE: Iglesias. I think he has potential....but the Reds are awful, and with only 11 SPs in the points leagues, I can't afford to take that kind of chance on someone who hasn't really pitched in the big league yet. My three "cheap" SPs (Rodon, Corbin & Severano) are all guys who have shown that they can win at that level and are candidates for breakout years this season.

Last edited:
Fantrax has now posted some of the pitcher schedules for the opening week. Go to your team page and click on "Schedule-Period". (You can also find it at the bottom of the "Pick your players" page.)

Right now they are showing Scherzer with only one start. I hate situations like that. He pitches on Monday, but the Nationals are off on Tuesday & Friday, so they only play 5 games. Still thought they might give him 2 starts instead of using a 5th starter that week, since Sunday would be the 6th day for him. (And they still might change their mind, so we have to continue monitoring the situation right up until the last minute.)

If they don't, though, I hate to pay top dollar like that for only one start in a week when SPs have already top-loaded my salary cap...and it's on the road (though the Braves are awful & Scherzer should have a good game there). Still, though, I could drop down & start Severino at home and save almost $2M...which I could use to get a couple of hitters from Rizzo, Trout & Donaldson in my lineup.

ETA: Fantrax has this additional news on Scherzer....which I hope works out. It certainly makes sense...but you never know what that damned crazy Dusty Baker is going to do with his pitching staff. He ruined Mark Prior & Kerry Wood's careers with the Cubs.

Latest News (Mar 28, 2016)

Scherzer could start the fourth game of the season for the Nationals as well as Opening Day due to a couple of early off-days, which would keep him on his normal rest, The Washington Post reports.

Analysis: Nats manager Dusty Baker hasn't made an official decision yet, but given the time Joe Ross has missed late in spring training due to a heel bruise, it might make sense to bump him and give him more time to get stretched out before he's needed in the big league rotation. Scherzer would then be poised for a two-start week right out of the gate facing the Braves on the road and the Marlins at home, a potentially nice early bonus for anyone who has him rostered

Last edited:
My roster is about 98% set. I would like to chop a couple hundred thousand off my roster total, though I could live with it as it is now. About the only place I'm considering a change is with my two cheapest outfielders...if I could find one even cheaper who was sure to start and had decent prospects of some kind of production. I added Posey to go with my two cheap catchers, dropping my 10th outfielder. Right now my two cheapest outfielders are Conforte (1260K) & Buxton (1230K). Looking at cheap outfielders, I ran across Domingo Santana. He is 1000K in points & only 400K in roto. He is hitting .394 in ST and evidently has a starting job locked up in Milwaukee. Also, he is projected to hit 5th or 6th in the batting order there. I looked at some projections and most have him projected to hit close to 20 HRs. (Milwaukeee is a great park for HRs.) At that price he wouldn't have to produce all that much to be valuable. I'm thinking about adding him and dropping Buxton. That 230K would about finalize my roster unless there are some unexpected injuries in the next 4 days.

Has anyone even looked at Domingo Santana?

ETA: Here's another last-minute decision to make:

Ketel Marte or Trevor Story?

Last edited:
My roster is about 98% set. I would like to chop a couple hundred thousand off my roster total, though I could live with it as it is now. About the only place I'm considering a change is with my two cheapest outfielders...if I could find one even cheaper who was sure to start and had decent prospects of some kind of production. I added Posey to go with my two cheap catchers, dropping my 10th outfielder. Right now my two cheapest outfielders are Conforte (1260K) & Buxton (1230K). Looking at cheap outfielders, I ran across Domingo Santana. He is 1000K in points & only 400K in roto. He is hitting .394 in ST and evidently has a starting job locked up in Milwaukee. Also, he is projected to hit 5th or 6th in the batting order there. I looked at some projections and most have him projected to hit close to 20 HRs. (Milwaukeee is a great park for HRs.) At that price he wouldn't have to produce all that much to be valuable. I'm thinking about adding him and dropping Buxton. That 230K would about finalize my roster unless there are some unexpected injuries in the next 4 days.

Has anyone even looked at Domingo Santana?

ETA: Here's another last-minute decision to make:

Ketel Marte or Trevor Story?

I really like Ketel Marte. I know I have too many cheap guys but he is one of the first ones I picked. He is 630k and was named starting SS before ST even started. He is also slated to bat 2nd. The guy could steal 20 bases. That being said he is what you want from a cheap guy...score 70+runs get 20 or so steals and hit for a decent average. Cheap guys are always a gamble. The ones you know have an every day job at least have a better chance to produce. That is what I like about him.

I really like Ketel Marte. I know I have too many cheap guys but he is one of the first ones I picked. He is 630k and was named starting SS before ST even started. He is also slated to bat 2nd. The guy could steal 20 bases. That being said he is what you want from a cheap guy...score 70+runs get 20 or so steals and hit for a decent average. Cheap guys are always a gamble. The ones you know have an every day job at least have a better chance to produce. That is what I like about him.

I like Ketel Marte, too ...but I also like what I'm reading about Trevor Story. He is hitting .354 with 6 HRs in spring training. And according to that ESPN link (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14936299/mlb-projected-lineups-all-30-teams), Story is also going to begin the season hitting 2nd....behind Blackmon and in front of Cargo & Arenado. That's a pretty darn good spot to be in. Maybe I should get both of them instead of Bogaerts. Marte & Story are both 1200K in the points league....and Bogaerts is 1840K.

So many SS to choose from. I think Semien can be good at 700k as well. Ace just talked me into Marte over him but now I have Marte, Xander, and Correa

ETA: I need to find a way to incorporate at least one of Scherzer or Kershaw. I feel I focused on pitching way too much last year, finishing 2nd in that and near the bottom in hitting

I had those same three shortstops, but yesterday I dropped Marte for Story. Decided I'd rather have a guy hitting 2nd for Colorado than a guy hitting 2nd for Seattle. (They are the exact same price in the points league.) Also, in the points league steals aren't as important as they are in roto because you don't have a separate scoring category just for steals. As I've said, you get 2 points for a steal...just like you do for a double. I don't know how good either of those guys is going to be...and I like both of them. However, Marte has almost no power, whereas Story evidently has some moderate power, looking back at his minor league stats. Probably the thing that sealed the deal for me was that I think the Rockies have a much stronger lineup...and that steals are not nearly as important in the points leagues. The Reyes situation complicates things a little for Story, but Reyes is going to be out for quite a while, which will give Story ample opportunity to make his case to be in the lineup.

Also, I really believe that you need to find a way to get both Kershaw AND Sherzer on your team. Just my opinion.

Three days to go! Should I put up the Fantrax link again in case there are any last-minute lurkers who may want to give it a try? I'd love to see more players...and more posters here....but it's kind of like Yogi Berra said one time about the fans: "If people don't want to come, you can't stop them."

Back