• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I added Raúl Mondesi as my 3rd second baseman. KC made him an everyday player. Just didn't make sense to have 3 players at the same position that cost about the same amount of dollars. He could take off or can be used to make cap at 450k. (He also has good speed) My team this year has a little less power and more speed. That's a first for me. I'll post my team once I get the email thing worked out.

That may not be an email problem. Fantrax hasn't been emailing confirmations of my roster changes, either, but it may be that they don't start doing that until after the initial deadline and rosters are set for the opening of the season. That's why I had to copy & paste my earlier rosters from the "pick my players" page.

I agree that it doesn't usually make much sense to have three players from one position with about the same price....though that's what I have done at shortstop (Correa, Seager & Story).

Last edited:
The Cubs (who are golden right now) have named Brett Anderson as their 5th starter. Always liked him but he has had some health issues. I would think he would be someone to look at in a points game. Just 510k in my league and the Cubs should win a lot of games again this year.

I have 4 third baseman and none of them are Ryon Healy. Sure hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

I have 4 third basemen, too. I did have 4 first basemen and only 3 third basemen, but I decided that Machado was too good to pass up at his price....so I got him to go along with Arenado & Bryant, with Bregman as my "cheap" guy at the position. Had to give up Morales....after all I've bragged on him....to do it. Could've kept Morales instead of Bird, but there is such a big price difference there and I really feel that Bird could have a big year as a left-handed slugger in Yankee Stadium.

The Cubs (who are golden right now) have named Brett Anderson as their 5th starter. Always liked him but he has had some health issues. I would think he would be someone to look at in a points game. Just 510k in my league and the Cubs should win a lot of games again this year.

Anderson is 1090K in the points leagues. Pitching for the Cubs certainly helps him. If I got him, it would be as my 11th SP instead of your boy Jameson Taillon (1330K). Anderson has two problems from a points league perspective: 1) He has only pitched more than 83 innings once in the last six years , and 2) His K-9 rate isn't very good. In 2015, he had 180 innings and only 116 strikeouts. He has a chance to wins games with the Cubs, but in the points leagues you also need to pile up innings and strikeouts.

I have 6 players from the Houston Astros this year. I don't remember ever having more than 4 guys from one team in the past.

I'm started to get pumped and decided to buy a gold team only to find out they have shut it down:( My team will probably kick ass. lol

I'm started to get pumped and decided to buy a gold team only to find out they have shut it down:( My team will probably kick ass. lol

I've said that I really feel good about this year. Maybe we are heading for another year like 2014.

I think Fantrax only has 3 Silver leagues ($200/team)...but they have 27 Bronze leagues open for registration ($30/team). All of them may not fill and some may have to be consolidated, but they must think that most of those 27 will fill or they wouldn't have opened them. Both of my Silver leagues are full (30 teams) and there are 25, 23, 20 & 24 teams in my four Bronze leagues (25 teams).

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same situation with Gold/Rookie leagues.....just a few Gold and lots of Rookie. That is no doubt why they stopped taking entries on new Gold & Silver leagues in the last few days. They knew that they wouldn't be able to fill a new expensive league that quickly from scratch and would just have to refund several entries if they opened a new one up with only a few days left before the season began. When I decided to get a 2nd Silver team a few days ago I picked league #3 from 1-2-3 and I was about the 28th team in that. If I had waited a couple of more days I would likely have run into the same situation.

Last edited:
24 hours left to enter a team. 4 of my 6 leagues are now full. There are 4 openings in one league & 1 spot left in the other one.

Here is my final lineup/roster. I've finished 2nd-guessing myself. There will be no other changes before the 1:05 PM deadline tomorrow.

1st Week Starting Lineup:

C
Hedges, Austin C - SD

C
Zunino, Mike C - SEA

1B
Bird, Greg 1B - NYY

1B
Goldschmidt, Paul 1B - ARI

2B
Altuve, José 2B - HOU

2B
Forsythe, Logan 2B - LAD

3B
Arenado, Nolan 3B - COL

3B
Bregman, Alex 3B - HOU

SS
Correa, Carlos SS - HOU

SS
Story, Trevor SS - COL

OF
Blackmon, Charlie OF - COL

OF
Broxton, Keon OF - MIL

OF
Buxton, Byron OF - MIN

OF
Santana, Domingo OF - MIL

OF
Springer, George OF - HOU

OF
Trout, Mike OF - LAA

UT
Benintendi, Andrew (R) OF - BOS

UT
Seager, Corey SS - LAD 

SP
Archer, Chris SP - TB

SP
Bumgarner, Madison SP - SF

SP
Kershaw, Clayton SP - LAD

SP
McCullers Jr., Lance SP - HOU

SP
Syndergaard, Noah SP - NYM

SP
Verlander, Justin SP - DET

RP
Bedrosian, Cam RP - LAA

RP
Feliz, Neftalí RP - MIL

RP
Giles, Ken RP - HOU

RP
Treinen, Blake RP - WAS

1st Week Taxi Squad:

Sánchez, Gary C - NYY

Rizzo, Anthony 1B - CHC

Peraza, José 2B - CIN

Bryant, Kris 3B - CHC

Machado, Manny 3B - BAL

Betts, Mookie OF - BOS 

Harper, Bryce OF - WAS

Gausman, Kevin SP - BAL

Paxton, James SP - SEA

Sale, Chris SP - BOS

Scherzer, Max SP - WAS

Taillon, Jameson SP - PIT

Díaz, Edwin RP - SEA

We have 14 different players.

I don't understand spending all that money for Altuve. Pretty much spending 450k (double that for you) for his high batting average.

My pitchers

I was going to add Glasnow, a pitcher I have followed for a few years now. He finally made the open day roster as a #5 pitcher for the Pirates. That got me to thinking about mistakes I have made, and how we sometimes drift away from things that worked. Years ago my pitchers were either the ace of the rotation or the #2 guy. More starts, more innings, more wins, more strikeouts. I think pitching is too important to take a chance on a diamond in the ruff with your opening day roster. With this in mind, my opening day roster will have 9 aces, and three #2's. (of course Sale is not really a #2)

Bumgarner
Kershaw
Kluber
Meada
Syndergaard
Verlander
Carrasco
Cueto
Duffy
Sale
Taillon
Darvish

We have 14 different players.

I don't understand spending all that money for Altuve. Pretty much spending 450k (double that for you) for his high batting average.

Batting average isn't even much of a factor in points leagues. As this ESPN analysis says, though, Altuve has developed into more than that....and he finished last season as the 3rd highest producer in points leagues:

2017 Outlook: Few players possess such outstanding batting-title odds -- leading both leagues, that is -- as Altuve, but don't mistake him for a mere speed-and-average type. He made noticeable improvements in the power department last season, setting personal bests with 24 home runs, a .531 slugging percentage, .194 isolated power and .196 well-hit average, as well as against right-handed pitching, his .348/.398/.544 triple-slash rates against that side all career bests, and he did it while also improving his walk rate to a career-high 8.4 percent. Only his declining stolen-base total is a valid criticism, and one explained by team decision rather than slowing speed, as the Astros have been slightly less apt to give Altuve the green light as they've acknowledged his increasing offensive value by moving him from leadoff to the No. 3 spot in the order. Ultimately, he's the same premium pick in Rotisserie leagues that he was last year; it's points-based leagues in which he must now be recognized as such. To that point, he gained a whopping 115 points in 2016 compared to 2015 using our standard scoring system, finishing the year as the third highest-scoring hitter.

Forget the Batting Average. These were the rest of Altuve's stats last year: 108-24-96-30....with 60 walks, 42 doubles & 5 triples for a total of 671 fantasy points. As noted above, that was the 3rd highest point total in MLB last year. For comparison, Trout had 712 points and Betts had 697 points. They were the only two players who finished ahead of Altuve in points scoring last year.

And he is hitting 3rd...in the middle of an even stronger Houston offensive lineup than last year's juggernaut....behind Springer & Bregman and in front of Correa, Beltran, Reddick & McCann. That team is going to score a ton of runs this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cubs-Astros World Series this fall. And I think that the Cubs' strongest competition will probably come from Washington. The Nats are loaded, too. Great pitching and those first four hitters of Eaton, Turner, Murphy & Harper are super. I tried to find a way to get Murphy on my roster, but I couldn't find the money to get both Altuve & him.....but he couldn't ask for a better place to hit than behind Eaton & Turner and in front of Harper (who is going to have an awesome season this year to set himself up for one of the biggest free agent contracts in MLB history).

Last edited:
I didn't think about walks counting or extra base hits. Here is the rest of my team. I'm going to need some luck.

C-Hedges Zunino Sanchez
1-Bird Goldschmidt Votto
2-Odor Peraza Mondesi
3-Arenado Bregman Bryant Lamb
S-Seager Turner Lindor
O-Duvall Harper Renfroe Schwarber
Trout Springer Betts Benintendi

The coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside and asked, "Do you understand what co-operation is? What a team is?" "Yes, coach", replied the boy. "Do you understand that what matters is we win or lose as a team?" The boy nodded in yes. The coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue, curse, attack the umpire, or call him a pecker-head, jerk-face or a-hole. Do you understand all that?" Again, the boy nodded yes. And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play, it's not good sportsmanship to call your coach a dumb ass or shithead is it?" "No, coach. "Good," said the coach, "Now go over there and explain all that to your Grandmother"!

I didn't think about walks counting or extra base hits. Here is the rest of my team. I'm going to need some luck.

C-Hedges Zunino Sanchez
1-Bird Goldschmidt Votto
2-Odor Peraza Mondesi
3-Arenado Bregman Bryant Lamb
S-Seager Turner Lindor
O-Duvall Harper Renfroe Schwarber
Trout Springer Betts Benintendi

That's one of the reasons why you need to have a completely different mindset when evaluating players depending upon whether you are in a roto or points league. I tried to do both once and it nearly drove me crazy. There is a "transition of thought process" when you move from roto to points and it took me awhile to get thru that....but I still think that if you tried it you would like the points game once you got thru that initial adjustment period. Scoring is much simpler and I really enjoy not having to worry about a couple of awful innings from my SPs destroying my WHIP & ERA categories.

I only have 4 guys playing today: Archer, Bumgarner, Bird & Goldschmidt.

Really looking forward to this season for some reason...and I briefly considered not even playing after 25 years or so of it. Then deciding on my roster this year seemed easier than in past years. Of course, it still remains to be seen how it will work out. 2014 will be awfully hard to top. That season kind of spoiled us, I guess.

Last edited:
Bkf, have you tried MLB dfs? If not, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with it. What is it? A daily game like Fan Duel?

If so, that's why not. The daily games...to me at least....are more like daily gambling, and while there is money involved in season-long contests, it's trivial compared to wagering on teams every day...and seems much different to me than picking a team every day.

I love the competition of season-long contests (and the chance to win a little money sometimes) but I long ago gave up the urge to gamble on games each day.

They are pretty fun. The DFS Golf product is similar to our major contests that sleepy holds. But with actual stakes.

How many Rookie leagues did Fantrax end up with? They had 3 Silver leagues (90 teams) and 26 Bronze leagues (650 teams).

Though it means nothing this early (other than that it's nice to get off to a good start), going into tonight's games my teams are 3-3-2-1-2-2 in their six leagues and 24th out of 650 in Bronze overall.

Verlander came through nicely this afternoon. That guy is a warrior. He had that down blip a few years ago and I was afraid that at 31 or 32 all those innings had caught up with him. Then he bounced back last year and now, at 34, he seems to be almost as good as ever. He's a competitor, that's for sure.

Need a big game out of Lance McCullers tonight.

ETA: Ended Day #3 at 1-2-1-1-1-1 & 6/650. (2/90 overall in Silver, but there is no overall competition there.)

Very pleased with the way the season has begun, obviously.

Last edited:
I am at 6-40.....250 teams.

The points game must be more popular than the roto game, with 26 cheap points leagues and only 10 cheap roto leagues. Guess Fantrax knew they were going to get more entries in the points leagues...which is why the overall payouts are so much better in points leagues. (Top 50 payouts with $3,000 for 1st place)

Thru games of April 5th:

Bronze: 2-2-1-1 --- 6/650
Silver: 1-1 --- 1/90

Note for anyone who has Verlander: Due to rainouts, his 2nd start this week has been pushed back to next Monday. I had already replaced him in next week's starting lineup, so I will need to go back and adjust that.

Back