• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Tom Petty Song/Music Video

Don't come around here no more was a staple for me growing up.

Nice call on Southern Accent Rolfe. I haven't heard that in 25 years

I actually didn't care much for Full Moon Fever. I mean, it's a good album and full of hits, but it wasn't Tom Petty to me. It was too much Jeff Lynne. Southern Accents was a departure from the conventional TP too. That 6 year run is where his real classics lie, from the first album through Long After Dark. You can pull at least 2 awesome (not merely great) songs off each of those albums, and at least one great deep cut, and they all have that early Petty sound. Too many to mention, but you can go through his Greatest Hits for most of them, then throw in stuff like Louisiana Rain, Shadow Of A Doubt, Change Of Heart, A Woman In Love, and One Story Town.

I actually didn't care much for Full Moon Fever. I mean, it's a good album and full of hits, but it wasn't Tom Petty to me. It was too much Jeff Lynne. Southern Accents was a departure from the conventional TP too. That 6 year run is where his real classics lie, from the first album through Long After Dark. You can pull at least 2 awesome (not merely great) songs off each of those albums, and at least one great deep cut, and they all have that early Petty sound. Too many to mention, but you can go through his Greatest Hits for most of them, then throw in stuff like Louisiana Rain, Shadow Of A Doubt, Change Of Heart, A Woman In Love, and One Story Town.

I agree. I didn't like the Jeff Lynne involvement and I really also didn't like the Dave Stewart stuff either. But I know musicians have to change things up.

Probably posted, but You Got Lucky was a great music video and a good tune. Back when MTV played music videos.

The Waiting is one of my top three songs by any artist. My son heard me sing it so many times he even wrote a parody called "We're debating who had the largest fart."

As mentioned before, The running down a dream documentary on netflix is excellent

Tom Petty song "I Won't Back Down" is one of my misheard lyrics. I thought he was saying "I want back down," as if a large person had picked him up against his will.

Tom Petty song "I Won't Back Down" is one of my misheard lyrics. I thought he was saying "I want back down," as if a large person had picked him up against his will.
That's funny!

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'

So many great lyrics. Wish I made it to his pad in Malibu before he passed. Genius. Legend. Rocker.

Runnin' Down A Dream
I Won't Back Down
Crawling Back To You

I have a soft spot for the entire Wildflowers album... Listened to that a lot in high school, so it takes me back there.

So much good stuff.

UF tribute Saturday. Was there, it was awesome. Petty grew up in Gainesville and worked for UF briefly before his career took off.

Last edited:
Back