• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Tom Petty Song/Music Video

That sucks ass.

Definitely going to be listening to a lot of Petty here for a while.

Celebrity deaths (and celebrity "news", in general) don't generally affect me, but this one is a real downer.

I've been a fan of Tom Petty since I started listening to music and have seen him perform more than anyone else, by far. Missed his last tour because I was a little busy when he was in town and figured I'd have other opportunities to see him. Kicking myself.

If I had to choose only one artist to listen to for the rest of my days, it would be Tom Petty with no hesitation.

He just seemed to love making music and performing... Didn't have patience for the parts of the business that got in the way of that.

Deacon alum, Andy Tennille, was his tour photar on this last tour (and others before this, I believe). He posted a great tribute on Instagram yesterday and has a spot on Tom Petty radio on XM (channel 31) that I'm hoping to catch soon. RIP TP

Deacon alum, Andy Tennille, was his tour photar on this last tour (and others before this, I believe). He posted a great tribute on Instagram yesterday and has a spot on Tom Petty radio on XM (channel 31) that I'm hoping to catch soon. RIP TP

I never knew he was a Wake alum but that he just lived in W-S. I follow him on Instagram since he's also Widespread Panic's touring photo/videographer and posts great stuff. Had no idea he worked with Petty until I saw the pics showing up this summer.

Was scheduled for a four hour set at Bonnaroo in 06, played like 20 songs in two hours, brought out Stevie Nicks, finished up and said "that's all I got." Incredible set.

I always felt like I had something in common with Tom Petty. From what I have read about him and from the documentary, it seemed like Petty spent his whole life trying to prove his dad wrong about him. I have been doing the exact same thing since I was a kid as well. Having something like that driving you can really push you and give you inspiration every day, even though you may not even realize it's why you do it. Both our fathers seemed to not really like us and thought we were idiots, and that made me feel a kinship with Petty.

Btw, in that doc it is said that the untold story of rock and roll is that if you want to be a really successful rock music writer, you either need to have a father that hates you or a mother that died when you were young. If you go back and look at the successful rock guys, that's exactly right. I thin it says that Bono was lucky enough to have both.

Petty was an amazing talent with an incredible music catalog, both in quality and quantity. It does raise the question of "who is the greatest American rock star still alive?" You've got Dylan, Springsteen and Brian Wilson at the top of the list, depending on how you classify Dylan and Wilson. Maybe John Fogerty is close?

Back