• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Deac John Currie acts like a douchebag

In the Kansas State student-athlete handbook, the university reserves the right to not grant a release "except for the most compelling of circumstances which place an undue burden on the student athlete." Kansas State athletic director John Currie said in a series of April 22 tweets that he was prevented from discussing individual student issues but added: "Generally speaking, on RARE occasions that we have denied a student-athlete transfer release, it has been because of concerns about outside tampering, undue influence by third parties or procedures not being followed in an honest and forthright manner."

Sounds like tampering. But I'm sure you have all the facts.

Sounds like tampering. But I'm sure you have all the facts.

Romero says, she gave the school's compliance office a list of about 100 schools with high-level basketball teams she was interested in contacting. Last week, she was surprised to learn that Kansas State had in fact granted some schools permission to contact her—but none from her initial list.

So Currie believes that all 100 of those schools tampered?

Romero says, she gave the school's compliance office a list of about 100 schools with high-level basketball teams she was interested in contacting. Last week, she was surprised to learn that Kansas State had in fact granted some schools permission to contact her—but none from her initial list.

So Currie believes that all 100 of those schools tampered?

I don't have any inside information, but the tampering may have been done by someone other than a school, such as a handler. Unable to block that one school without knowing which one it is, you block all of them.

It is pretty screwed up that a school can do this, they're messing with the future of a kid.

And I could not possibly care less about tampering. They fired the coach she committed to, let her go.

I don’t know what Currie believes constitutes “RARE,” but this is the second time they’ve blocked the transfer of an athlete in two years.

Kansas State refuses Manase Foketi's transfer request

Foketi has already graduated and is eligible to transfer to another FBS school for graduate studies and to play another year of football. However, Kansas State is arguing that because he did not play last year, he is obligated to give the Wildcats another season. On this year’s team, Foketi, a 6-5, 300 pound left tackle, would be among the most experienced on the line.

Unless there is drastically different info to be found, defending Currie and KSU in this instance is quite difficult.

Tampering my ass. Currie is acting like a little spoiled rich brat. Give the kid a release. You fired the the coach- live with the colatteral damage Currie you dweeb.

Update: Despite John Currie's change of stance, Leticia Romero won't receive transfer waiver from Kansas State

There was no tampering. They never had any evidence of tampering. They were just afraid she might follow the coach they fired. So they blocked her from talking to ~100 schools.

And now John Currie is saying he wants to let her transfer, but can't, because the decision of the appeal committee is final, and there are no procedures in place to allow administrators to overturn the decision.

I don't have the same rights as my boss either. My boss can get away with a lot more, because well, he's my boss. His boss can get away with even more, and she likely has a contract with far more benefits than mine. Student athletes don't have to pay large chunks of money to a school when they ask out of their scholarship contracts like coaches do when they decide they want to change jobs. We complain about the salaries coaches earn, but where the hell else is an 18 year old kid, many times without an outstanding academic record, going to find compensation that totals in the 6 figures (tax free) once tuition, room, board, training, travel, medical, clothing, etc are factored in? I really don't get the uproar from student athletes. There are people in every field, even more highly trained and experienced, working their asses off for less total compensation while their bosses and the company they work for earn big profits off their work...that's the way things work. Life outside of college athletics, after some of these kids finish up playing college sports and get their first $30K a year job out of school (if they're lucky right now) outside of athletics, is going to be a hell of a slap in the face.

I'm a compassionate person, but this whole "we're college athletes and we're not being treated fairly" argument is really confusing to me when I look at the facts. As far as I can tell, college athletes are compensated very well for the work they do, as they should be since they are tops in their field. We have some major issues in the workplace with unfair salaries and opportunities based on your ethnicity, gender, etc. The plight of the college athlete just doesn't rank up there IMO. Sure, there are abuses (such as the drug deal in the NFL that likely happens in colleges too), but those should be dealt with and are separate from the general scholarship contract of "you play sports, we provide you with XXX".

All of that to say, LOL at the great tags.

So it sounds like it will all get worked out in the next couple of weeks. What's the BFD?

So it sounds like it will all get worked out in the next couple of weeks. What's the BFD?

If you think that they would be trying to work it out without the public pressure, than you have more faith in people than I do.

The only reason she's going to get this worked out is that the WSJ, ESPN and others got involved. Otherwise she would have been totally screwed. There are others in her situation that aren't that lucky.

The NCAA could fix this in about ten minutes by allowing athletes the same ail to move as coaches get.

Dick move by Currie but I would welcome him as Wellman's replacement.

Back