• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Deac John Currie acts like a douchebag

ESPN announced that KState said their decision is "final and binding". Currie is a douchebag of the highest order.

“What he (Currie) said was, ‘I want you to be released,’ ” Romero told “Outside the Lines.”

“ ‘Coach Mittie wants you to be released. The athletic department wants you to be released. But now this is not on my hands. It’s in the committee’s hands. I can’t do anything about it.’”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/21/5037448/report-john-currie-working-to.html#storylink=cpy

On May 5 Currie wrote a letter to K-State’s appeals committee, led by K-State Vice President of Student Life Pat Bosco, asking it to reconsider its ruling against Romero.

If you don't think the AD doesn't have input, you're living in a dream world.

If you don't think the AD doesn't have input, you're living in a dream world.

Yeah, he is saying he wants to let her transfer now. (As in, now that there's an uproar.) The letter is amazing:

photo.jpg

So they denied her request because they were afraid of tampering. They denied her appeal because they were afraid of tampering. But since then Currie has actually asked her if there was any tampering, and she said no. Did no one bother to ask earlier?

Tampering my ass. Currie is acting like a little spoiled rich brat. Give the kid a release. You fired the the coach- live with the colatteral damage Currie you dweeb.

I read about this a couple days ago and this was my takeaway.

Was there a media uproar before May 5?

Bilas has been on this for a while:

I think part of the story that hasn't been focused on is she is from Spain and doesn't have the options a US citizen might. She loses the scholarship and a place to play she might be heading home. And I suspect KState knows that. I can't imagine what KSU is thinking. Just let her go play somewhere.

any professional whose signature takes up that much space is a high and mighty douchebag, period.

I think part of the story that hasn't been focused on is she is from Spain and doesn't have the options a US citizen might. She loses the scholarship and a place to play she might be heading home. And I suspect KState knows that. I can't imagine what KSU is thinking. Just let her go play somewhere.

She can go back to Spain to pursue her "education" if that is what she is after since she has rights as a citizen there. Problem solved don't you think? Too much transferring out here.

Another article, which came out May 6th, and the interview was done in Kansas in April, so I’m guessing the AD knew it was coming. This part is about the coach they were apparently worried was shopping her around to the new schools he was interviewing with:

Romero and her family were aided in the recruiting process by Xavi Lopez, who had played collegiately in the United States. Lopez, who is from Barcelona, was playing professionally in Spain when Romero's father contacted him and asked for some guidance on getting an athletic scholarship.

"I had to figure it out on my own when I came here, so I wanted to help them," Lopez said. "Her dad sent me a video of her, and I sent it to schools at the level I thought she could play at, which is BCS schools. She and her parents took it from there."

Two months after Romero committed, Kansas State reached out to Lopez and offered him a graduate-assistant position. Feeling his pro career was nearing an end, he accepted and then was able to help with Romero's transition.

That's a little sketchy.

Link

The union thing is extreme and off base. That said, the intentional unwillingness of schools and the NCAA to get out of their own way is astounding.

She can go back to Spain to pursue her "education" if that is what she is after since she has rights as a citizen there. Problem solved don't you think? Too much transferring out here.

EVery time, I don't think Reff can top his last ridiculous post, I am proven wrong.

EVery time, I don't think Reff can top his last ridiculous post, I am proven wrong.

So if she was tampered with, they can't stop the transfer? Otherwise she can stay at K State and still get her free education she supposedly can't afford? Or she can go back to Spain and pursue her education. Playing basketball on a schollie is not a God given right you know! She did sign papers acknowledging certain things. This transferring junk is getting ridiculous.

A coach tells the world, "I'm here for the long haul". He signs a contract and then maybe an extension. Then he gets a better offer and bolts.

But you want to hold an 18-20 yo kid hostage. That's ridiculous.

Should your employer be allowed to tell you when and if you can take another job? You want a school to have that power over a student. You should be OK with giving your boss the same power. After all you told the boss, that's where you wanted to be.

Mine does and it happens all the time. I have recurring one year contracts. Once I sign, I owe them my next year. We are hiring someone and waiting for his current contract to expire before he can come onboard with us. If I leave within five years of my initial contract to go to the competition, I face potential financial penalties. That sounds very similar to a scholarship contract to me and I feel I have a good gig. I worked much harder than pretty much any 18 yo kid to attain it.

And schools don't have that power over a student. They can go wherever they can get into as a student.
Random thoughts: The schools are investing large amounts of money in these kids as athletes, it is reasonable that they expect some commitment in return. To me, the point of contention is what that commitment should entail. I am not sure there needs to be any additional punishment beyond sitting out a year. I can also appreciate the distinction btwn that and a kid that signed but hasn't actually started "on the job". Maybe they do get more freedom if their coach leaves before they ever get to play for him. But I don't know where I want to confidently draw the line. I also appreciate the idea that no one forces the kid to sign that contract indicating their intent to attend and securing their scholarship.
Just because coaches get to leave (and do typically face penalties), that doesn't automatically mean to me that kids that fill a different role get all the same privileges.

Ah yes. As student-athletes.

It's unconscionable to deny students the rights to move.

As to your recurring contract, that's not what student-athletes have. If you do your job, you get to keep it. That's not the case with an NCAA scholarship document. It's totally one way.

Thinking that this young woman shouldn't be allowed to go to any one over 100 colleges and universities is horrific. This is 100% on Currie. There's no question his slave master position caused the committee to vote the way it has.

Again, no one is denying students the right to move. They can go anywhere their credentials get them in as a student.
My job is different than what a student athlete does, so there is no reason to use either as a justification that the other should get the same treatment. That said, my contract is very much like a student-athlete agreement. How is it different? I can just be let go at the end of the contract. Nothing written in that my employer faces any punishment or pays any additional compensation. If I leave, I can be on the hook, with significant penalty, for leaving too soon if I go to a "competitor". Sounds pretty similar to me.

Back