• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe has lost my respect

Things have changed with TV and the money. I think that it is possible to have a niche type program with a charismatic coach and paying style, that is attractive nationally.

Grobe had it going with the misdirection and then with swank and plack the ball control game.

That is now passé and so is Grobe. We can win without cheating but we have to have new blood with a personality and winning attitude. Not this quasi military bullshit we have now.

This is where I am. I'm not dumb enough to think we're going to become LSU or Florida or some powerhouse that contends nationally every tear. But becoming a program that other teams dread playing, being the most well-prepared team in the league, picking a niche and executing it to the nines, and threatening to win our division every year (the first step toward even higher accomplishments) is not a pipe dream at Wake. We were damn close to bring there with Grobe, but we let our foot off the gas for whatever reason.

CHillDeac posted this on the recruiting thread. Take a look at this chart.
Has our recruiting gotten this bad? For 2014 Rivals ranks our class 14th(last) in the conference. We have a score of 375 whereas the conference leader, FSU, was given a score of 2131. For comparison, Duke is ranked 11th with a score of 840. Neither Duke or Wake signed a 5* or 4* but Duke has grabbed 10 3* commitments to our 2. Pretty interesting chart
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/ACC/all

We aren't just getting beat by other ACC schools when it comes to recruiting, we're getting crushed.

You are so unrealistic that it is comical, PH. "Burning desire"...what the fuck is that? I have a burning desire to sleep with Pam Anderson. You think that if I just had enough desire, I could do it? I'll ask you the same question that I asked Lohengrin: How do you overcome the structural disadvantages at WF to win consistently in football when it hasn't happened in the last 80 years? Where is another school with 4,000 students....with another coach and another AD...that has been able to win consistently in a power conference in D1 football?

With Pam, the burning comes afterward.

Well, for one thing..... How many graduates do we have each year? 750 to 1000 or so? How many does a school with 20,000+ students have? 5000 to 6000 or so? Multiply that over, say, 20 years. WF has a graduate donor pool of 15000 to 20000 grads. That bigger school has a graduate donor pool of 100000 to 120000 grads. That's just one thing. Then, of course, the best football players want to go to schools that are going to be getting the most football publicity and have a reputation for having connections to place them in an NFL career. Then there are the more strenuous academic standards (supposedly), and, for minority players, WF has a terrible social life atmosphere. There are many others, but that's a start for you.

With the ACC TV money -- 20 mil per school? -- high enrollments aren't that necessary since we're getting big money from our big time affiliation. Moreover, other small enrollment schools in BCS leagues are coming around and becoming competitive showing things are different now. Also, what is your critical mass for enrollment? If there is one, we should know it and analyze the success of schools according to enrollment. As for football publicity, that's a chicken or egg type of issue. Become good, get publicity. Under Grobe, Wake has had a good number of players get drafted to the NFL, showing that playing at Wake doesn't hinder your chances of making it. Hell, AC was Butkis Award winner and #4 overall pick. All our games are televised in some fashion according to contract. Success begets publicity. In 2006, all of our late season games were prime time as we were playing for the conference championship.

More strenuous academic standards? I differ with many on this but an administration properly dedicated to competing at the BCS level would reduce standards for athletes to assure that we're not playing with one arm tied behind our back. There are even some LOWF fans who concede that other academic BCS schools have relaxed standards for athletes to be able to compete without loss of academic ranking, and Wake needs to do the same thing. I don't believe Wake can or should remain at the highest level of collegiate sports embracing ivy league academic standards. There is a cost of competing at this level academically, and we have to face the music. And the academic ranking won't suffer because these "standards" aren't considered in a school's ranking.

The social life argument may have some truth, but other private schools face the same issue and are seeing success. The difference is that the administrations of those schools are committed to winning, changing themselves as needed to accommodate that commitment, and are maintaining their academic reputation. Wake appears to be falling on its sword in some ridiculous show of cultural pomposity.

And finally, if you really, really believe that Wake is so friggin unique that no other school in America compares, then you really have to question having any business at all in the ACC. If everyone is convinced of this, then we should simply end the futility and embarrassment and retreat to a comfortable lower tier conference where we can wallow in self-righteous piety in the company of like-minded institutions.

WRT your second paragraph... you must be arguing with someone else, because I'm not saying we'll ever go toe to toe with Georgia etc for recruits. That's a reality we need to face, and instead firm up our approach to business in other areas to maximize what talent we do have.

Edit: directed at bkf's most recent post

If this debacle in the marquee sports continue, how long will it be until the conference exerts pressure for Wake to find a new home???

If this debacle in the marquee sports continue, how long will it be until the conference exerts pressure for Wake to find a new home???

Is there precedent for this happening?

Temple in the late 90's Big East maybe, but they were significantly worse than even we are.

LOL, Maybe the Ivy League will have an opening to preserve the southern ivy league academic status.

And just to make things clear, what you are others are contending is that the only reason why WF has been unable to consistently turn out winning football seasons is that they have never had a coach or AD who wanted to win, and that if we just found those people and hired them, WF would be going 7-5 or 8-4 in football year after year, on a regular basis. And that is just pure hogwash.

You are illiterate. Or, You're only seeing the arguments you want to see.

It's not level, but this is the most level playing field college football has ever had. For most of Wake's awful football history, there were no scholarship limits, so we had even less hope of landing good players than we have now. And the benefits of TV money have been well-documented here. So history is not indicative of the current landscape.

You should go follow Indiana football. They're a big school in a big conference, so they should have no trouble being competitive.

deciding to win at wake is akin to deciding to not be poor, or deciding to not be a minority. it's just a matter of CAN DO attitude!

It is difficult, if not impossible, to reason with people who are delusional and refuse to accept 80 years of historical facts....so just dream on, and become increasingly frustrated because of your delusions as the years go by. (And, I assure you, your personal insults have no affect upon me.)

And we'll never have a black president or gay marriage. Just look at the last 80 years. Ignore that the world evolves.

bkf, if what you're saying is truly your feeling on the matter, what is your end game? Why are you posting here, instead of just writing off Wake athletics? Are you trying to gain converts to your thinking? If so, what do you want to achieve? Universal apathy and ambivalence? I don't get you at all. Most people at least expect the school to do everything in their power to succeed at anything they participate in. Do you just want all LOWF attitude all of the time and no complaining? What would you have Wake fans do if they agreed with you?

It is difficult, if not impossible, to reason with people who are delusional and refuse to accept 80 years of historical facts....so just dream on, and become increasingly frustrated because of your delusions as the years go by. (And, I assure you, your personal insults have no affect upon me.)

wsc8521s has already lost $100 to the boards because he thinks Franklin can walk on water at Vanderbilt. He just had one good year there, kind of like one of Grobe's years in that 2006-2008 run.....but Franklin isn't going to have winning seasons at Vanderbilt on a regular basis...and neither is anyone else. And Vanderbilt is in a much better position to do so than is WF.

Vandy's task in the SEC is much more difficult than ours in the ACC.

But since bkf says all efforts are futile, it must be so. So how much do you think we could get for Groves Stadium?

What a pathetic post. We've had poor athletic leadership with the same mentality you have. Has there ever been a burning desire to win at the top?

The people at the top ARE winning in the area that matters to them.

Well, for one thing..... How many graduates do we have each year? 750 to 1000 or so? How many does a school with 20,000+ students have? 5000 to 6000 or so? Multiply that over, say, 20 years. WF has a graduate donor pool of 15000 to 20000 grads. That bigger school has a graduate donor pool of 100000 to 120000 grads. That's just one thing. Then, of course, the best football players want to go to schools that are going to be getting the most football publicity and have a reputation for having connections to place them in an NFL career. Then there are the more strenuous academic standards (supposedly), and, for minority players, WF has a terrible social life atmosphere. There are many others, but that's a start for you.

Stanford says hi.

Here is the quote apparently from last night's presser (that I haven't been able to find a transcript of)

"We have to have a better mentality when we're down there," Grobe said. "We're still not very good right now at making the decisions we need to make. I think we'll do a better of slimming the package down and not having as much thinking."

There was a lot of talk last night about Tanner's poor decisions. This quote is what set me off. But really rather than saying "throwing under the bus" I guess I just really mean "hanging Tanner out to dry" and the whole team for that matter. We could not have come out with an offense less suited to our players than we did last night. I don't think the coaches get to sit around and talk about execution. Our coaches gave our players a 0% chance to win last night. And this might be the worst conference team we play this year.

And we should probably just ignore Bob Knight Fan. He is a fucking loser and has been pissed off since his prostate quit working back in the 70s. He talks in circles and never really says anything.

Back