• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe has lost my respect

grobe sucks at gameday, recruiting, and personnel choices right now. he's always been mediocre at recruiting, but the other two are going down. he's terrible at keeping the right guys in the coaching offices.

you'd think he'd be a better recruiter by this point

We have a school with only 2500 female undergrads and 80% of them are looking to date for 6 months before graduating to handys and its a shit town with no outside options for tail. I'd imagine recruiting for football to be ROUGH.

Why are many of you whining about Grobe's salary? The ink has dried, nothing is going to change. If you paid him less, would he do more? Hatch won't fire Wellman, who won't fire Grobe, who won't fire LOBO. palmab03 hit the nail on the head with our recruiting liabilities. Parris Island has hotter chicks. A display of competent coaching would go a long way on the trail. Another thing about Grobe was brought to mind while I watched the ESPN movie on Valvano. The players said that he stopped being a coach and became a celebrity. Grobe doesn't seem hungry for success anymore because he doesn't have to be, with this administration.

The results would be more acceptable if we weren't paying a very competitive salary.

Honestly, I would think I would be pretty ashamed to take that salary when my actual performance was so poor.

So we need to get that Girls Gone Wild guy to replace Hatch. That's what I'm hearing.

So we need to get that Girls Gone Wild guy to replace Hatch. That's what I'm hearing.

A: One of them made a lot of money abusing people's faith and trust and the other guy puts out videos.

He led off with claiming Grobe threw Tanner under the bus, but he has yet to substantiate that.

I have posted this already earlier on this thread and on another thread. I can't find the full post game transcript, but this is what I got from the AP story. Quote by Grobe:

"We have to have a better mentality when we're down there," Grobe said. "We're still not very good right now at making the decisions we need to make. I think we'll do a better of slimming the package down and not having as much thinking."

He uses Grobe speech and says "we" need to make better decisions, but he absolutely has to be talking about Tanner running that shitty option and not being able to score in the red zone. Yes, it may be subtle, but everyone but the most staunch (read blind) Grobe defenders saw how awful this "new offense" was. We were not prepared, we executed poorly, but most importantly, Tanner is not suited to it. So Grobe and Lobo have revamped our offense in a way that does not set up Tanner to be successful, and then he says in the presser that we need make better decisions in the red zone, clearly implying that Tanner made poor decisions. Grobe all but calls Tanner a retard for not being able to juggle all three of the new offense plays we now have.

Last edited:
I would argue that maybe the worst decision was the one the coaches made to put our best quarterback in the wrong system and minimize our best offensive weapon (Tanner to Camp).

Tanner was so out of it Friday night, and no wonder. He was not good, because our brilliant coaches have put him in a position to not be successful. Must be incredibly frustrating. But who knows, maybe his decisions will get better and we'll win eight games.

He's probably refering to the fumble on the pitch. Tanner should have secured the ball and come back on the next play. He did the same thing with the 4th qtr INT vs Duke last year that gave them the short field and the game. When Tanner had Givens and Camp to throw to, he took fewer chances that would lead to turnovers. Grobe should have brought it up with Tanner, not the press.

I don't think so. I think he was referring our red zone offense and I didn't remember fumbling a pitch down there. The only other possible interpretation is that he was talking about the coaching staff's decisions?! Just think about that for a second. I still think he was talking about Tanner, but if I read that wrong and he meant the coaches, then feel free to change the title of this thread to something like "Have lost all respect for Grobe for sticking with an Offensive Coordinator who is confused by all three plays in the new offensive scheme he himself designed."

I don't think so. I think he was referring our red zone offense and I didn't remember fumbling a pitch down there. The only other possible interpretation is that he was talking about the coaching staff's decisions?! Just think about that for a second. I still think he was talking about Tanner, but if I read that wrong and he meant the coaches, then feel free to change the title of this thread to something like "Have lost all respect for Grobe for sticking with an Offensive Coordinator who is confused by all three plays in the new offensive scheme he himself designed."[/QUOTE]

Well put. I've heard of a coach losing the players, but this could be a complete program meltdown. Grobe will have to change his name to MacBeth.

I don't think so. I think he was referring our red zone offense and I didn't remember fumbling a pitch down there. The only other possible interpretation is that he was talking about the coaching staff's decisions?! Just think about that for a second. I still think he was talking about Tanner, but if I read that wrong and he meant the coaches, then feel free to change the title of this thread to something like "Have lost all respect for Grobe for sticking with an Offensive Coordinator who is confused by all three plays in the new offensive scheme he himself designed."[/QUOTE]

Well put. I've heard of a coach losing the players, but this could be a complete program meltdown. Grobe will have to change his name to MacBeth.

Lady MacBeth perhaps? She encouraged MacBeth to kill Duncan, but gradually was overcome by guilt and lost her mind. MacBeth was reluctant and shaken by his first murder. By the end of the play he was committed to blood-letting and went down fighting.

I'm sorry, I don't get this constant argument about enrollment having any effect on the product on the court or the football field. All the FBS schools have the same number of schollies, and you'll find very few college athletes going non-scholly to schools like Wake, Stanford, Duke, Vandy, etc....too expensive. So that argument's toast. Sure schools with larger alumni bases or bigger organizations have bigger stadiums, and bigger endowments....but for our size, we might be number one in those measurements, especially compared to state schools. I'll bet the amt of money spent per student athlete at WFU is a very reasonable ranking if there is such. Winning championships in sports requires many things that we may not have all the time. But having an identity where performance is a goal in practice is little to ask. If you go back and read all the commentary from our coaches and our AD for the past several years you will see that the idea of performance isn't in practice, it's only a nebulous discussion point for the future.

Do you realize how many schools with larger enrollment than Wake don't even have football or don't compete on the same level?

Most athletic departments are largely (if not entirely) self funded. Through booster clubs, television contracts, and apparel sales.

A larger endowment could reflect a large / wealthier donor base, but I would guess that the truly big $ endowment gifts came from people who are now dead or don't / never did donate substantially to athletics.

Agree that the enrollment point is stronger than the endowment point, but, in the end, we're paying a very competitive salary to Grobe yet aren't competing. That's the problem. Our facilities aren't worse than those of programs like BC, Northwestern, or Vandy either. And they are certainly a whole hell of a lot better than they were in '06. Yet here we are.

Something needs to change. Either we need to resign ourselves to not being able to have a competitive football program (and sink the salary dollars into basketball, where we can have an elite program) or we need to really try to compete and not just rattle off excuses after getting beat into the ground by the likes of Vandy.

Our enrollment, facilities, and endowment (probably) are the highest they've ever been. Why is our football program back to late 90s performance?

Our football program is just back to where it has been for the last 60 years, except for that 3-year outlier period from 2006 thru 2008. That's one of the problems here. Some people are ignorring 57 years & picking out one 3-year period out of six decades and saying that is supposed to be the norm, rather than the exception.

Was that not the expectation when Wake made Grobe one of the 5-10 highest paid college coaches in the country? Wake is spending more money on football, both on a relative and absolute basis, than it ever has. The results should be better, not the same.

Back