• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

It's not just because that's the way it's always been. It's always worked well. Including today. For transgenders.

It's not just because that's the way it's always been. It's always worked well. Including today. For transgenders.

Well it used to. Now NC wants to make them use different restrooms than they were using before.

Trans men. who identify as women, don't HATE men. They BELIEVE they are women. As a WOMAN, they should use the women's bathroom.

I thought trangender men were born women, but identify as men.

Most groups do push for bathrooms to get rid of the label and push for unisex bathrooms instead (where possible).

There's much more push back against getting rid of the label all together for reasons provided here by BKF and others: "my granddaughter is going to get molested by a perv if she pees with the men."

Eliminating the well-entrenched "male" v. "female" bathrooms seems a far taller task than keeping these "traditional" distinctions and pushing for protection for people to use the bathroom with which they identify. The former changes everyone's experience while the latter permits individuals to change their own experience while predominantly preserving the status quo. I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but apparently a lot of people are very uncomfortable with change ("the new ACC is garbage, I remember the good ole days;" "nowadays it's all about the money, back in 1972 when I loved college football it was about the passion!;" etc.)

I'd be interested in hearing if people think elimination of the sex distinction for bathrooms is a more viable option than what the Charlotte ordinance did.

You continue to misrepresent my concerns, even though I have re-explained them several times now.

I don't pretend to have lots of transgender friends, I've just worked for the last three years with a political coalition that furthers trans rights and focuses on the trans community's interactions with police, government agencies, the RMV, etc in the greater Boston area.

Meh.

Give me the straight, white bread, armchair theories over that resume. Read: common sense.

To me it comes down to the safety issue.

What is more likely to happen? A group of men beat up a penis-having, dress wearing trans woman, or a penis-having, dress wearing trans woman molesting some little girl?

Men are CLEARLY the more violent sex and you don't have to look far to find that out...women may be uncomfortable with a penis-having trans woman in their restroom IF THEY KNOW SHE WAS BORN A MALE, but most people don't investigate other peoples' genitals in the restroom...especially women in stalls.

The greater safety protection should be afforded to those in the greatest danger...which in my opinion would be trans women in the men's room.

Thanks numbers. That's what I thought, but rj seemed so certain with the CAPS and his tone.

What a shock that you want to play semantic games rather than discussing the situation. You understood the situation, but you want to make me the issue that is clear to see.

Let me TRY to say this in a way that you can understand. Trans men. who identify as women, don't HATE men. They BELIEVE they are women. As a WOMAN, they should use the women's bathroom.

Trans men or trans women, it's just semantic games. Terminology doesn't matter in this issue. Got it.

Trans men or trans women, it's just semantic games. Terminology doesn't matter in this issue. Got it.

That helps make sense of it all so the daughters and granddaughters of these predators or these trans-weirdos wearing dresses who undress in the YWCA while your wife or girlfriend is undressing and all of a sudden wags his weenie at them, then what are you going to say RJKarl?

To me it comes down to the safety issue.

What is more likely to happen? A group of men beat up a penis-having, dress wearing trans woman, or a penis-having, dress wearing trans woman molesting some little girl?

Men are CLEARLY the more violent sex and you don't have to look far to find that out...women may be uncomfortable with a penis-having trans woman in their restroom IF THEY KNOW SHE WAS BORN A MALE, but most people don't investigate other peoples' genitals in the restroom...especially women in stalls.

The greater safety protection should be afforded to those in the greatest danger...which in my opinion would be trans women in the men's room.

This completely misses the point. To my knowledge, nobody has suggested that the problem is that transgenders are going to molest girls in the girls' bathrooms. At least I know that I haven't. And I've clearly stated that in at least 5 or 6 posts on the subject.

There's no reason to put money into creating gender neutral bathrooms when the current system has been just fine for those 200 years, including for transgenders. It's preposterous even. There's just no need

What are you basing that on?

1. A trans female would look like a woman. A pervert posing as a woman would look like a man in drag...
I keep seeing this repeated on the boards and it's just not true. I realize that you all have good intentions, but there is no transgendered looks test. Do you think gender is decided by how masculine or feminine you decide to dress every day? Both trans men and women wear jeans and t-shirts and flip flops and whatever normal asexual shit we cisgenders do. Expecting transgendered people to be in full makeup and runway drag attire every single day is unrealistic and unfair.

Back