• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

Naive left point of view...do you think anyone gives a real reason for your not being hired, not promoted or hired? As being straight and Christian, I just have less options to try to fight it in court.

That's absolutely false. But it is still true you can fired for being gay https://www.fastcompany.com/3057357...merica-you-can-still-get-fired-for-being-lgbt

It's preposterous to think conservative, white Christians are in worse shape in court or employment than gays, blacks, Muslims, basically everyone else.

Think through this a bit more... are Muslim vows to eliminate non-Muslims any more justified than the KKK against minorities? By extension, is the rancor of various groups on the left against the vile, in their minds, right wing conservative Christians any more acceptable? Don't these all have at their cores intolerance, discrimination, uncompromising positions, and hate?

Let's see how honest you, RJ, and other members on the left really are...
That is a fucking terrible argument based on idiotic analogies.

What's inane is your answer. You CAN be fired for being gay. You can't be fired for being Christian or being straight. So, no they don't have the same rights as you and me.

Technically, if the laws don't prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, which I believe is your point, then you CAN be fired for being straight.

As a real life gay person who planned and participating in a real life gay wedding, I have zero issue with allowing vendors to turn down the opportunity to be involved in a gay wedding. Every time I reached out to a vendor I made it clear I was marrying a man and gave said vendor an easy out. I would certainly not want someone at my wedding who did not want to be there. A sentiment that was made clear to family as well.

Yes, it's discrimination. That's fine. It is also not a big deal in the scheme of things. Now if I was fired for being gay that would be a big deal. But sometimes you have to pick your battles. I have no interest in trying to make a wedding photographer a better person. That is not why you hire a wedding photographer.

Last edited:
Keep trying to be Gumby to justify passing laws that discriminating against people because of whom they love. That's just as despicable and un-American as it was to use the Bible to have white and colored water fountains.

No matter how much you want to try to rationalize, there is ZERO difference between using the Bible to justify slavery and segregation and using it to justify any form of discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

What happened to "Love thy neighbor as thyself" or "{Judge not lest year be judged" or "do unto others"?

My bad LGBTQ don't count.

Is it discriminatory segregation to ask what this thread is still doing in the sports board?

Keep trying to be Gumby to justify passing laws that discriminating against people because of whom they love. That's just as despicable and un-American as it was to use the Bible to have white and colored water fountains.

No matter how much you want to try to rationalize, there is ZERO difference between using the Bible to justify slavery and segregation and using it to justify any form of discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

What happened to "Love thy neighbor as thyself" or "{Judge not lest year be judged" or "do unto others"?

My bad LGBTQ don't count.

I'm sure you'll soon tie Christianity into global warming. You're the one who displays more hate than anyone else.

What makes a custom wedding cake gay? Aren't all custom cakes at least a little gay?

Iyanyas+Birthday+Cake+2.jpg

gaywedding.jpg

jamesfrancosbirthdaycake.jpg

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone on this board is advocating excluding gay people from places of public accommodation. But there is a big difference in requiring Target, Lowes, McDonald's, etc., to serve gay people and requiring a bakery to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. The former ensures that gay people can have basic services and be integrated in daily American life. For some, the latter goes to the heart of a moral/religious objection surrounding gay marriage. I'm not sure exactly where to draw the line, but I think those providing services for weddings, at least, should be afforded an exemption from accommodation laws requiring service to gay people.

Wait, why are these different? They are both, by definition, places of public accommodation. It's hard for me to see a principled way for making different rules for low-brow commoditized businesses and smaller, artisanal businesses.

Or to flip it around, if we're worried about the individual religious freedom of the person making the cake (which I think has to be the justification for these laws), why should an individual cake-maker's rights differ based on whether he works at Publix or a smaller bakery? Or if we're worried about the religious freedom of the owners, what would be the justification for exempting a small bakery but not a place like Hobby Lobby (if it made cakes)?

I'm sure you'll soon tie Christianity into global warming. You're the one who displays more hate than anyone else.

I am not displaying hate against Christians. I am saying that it's equally bad for any faith to legislate and impose their faith on anyone else. I will defend your right to your faith in your home or church at all times. I would equally oppose making it illegal to have a business open from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday as Orthodox Jews believe should be the law.

No faith has the right to impose their beliefs onto the public in America. We are not theocracy. Our nation was founded so as not to have the faith of others determine the laws of a nation.

It's the most basic and conservative idea in America that no one's faith shall be imposed on others or used to deny some equality.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone on this board is advocating excluding black people from places of public accommodation. But there is a big difference in requiring Target, Lowes, McDonald's, etc., to serve black people and requiring a bakery to bake a wedding cake for a black couple. The former ensures that black people can have basic services and be integrated in daily American life. For some, the latter goes to the heart of a moral/religious objection surrounding black marriage. I'm not sure exactly where to draw the line, but I think those providing services for weddings, at least, should be afforded an exemption from accommodation laws requiring service to black people.

Would you still support this argument if you substituted black for gay?

Back