• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

NewBernDeac

Reaction score
This is the most damming and embarrassing comment of our program by a head coach I have ever read - regardless of any validity. From head coach Gregg Marshall, SC native (where else), of Wichita State (31-0) : N&O today: "Getting the big boys to visit a place like Wichita State, which routinely fills 10,506-seat Charles Koch Arena, is even more difficult. “We all as coaches have this innate gene – we want to keep our job,” Marshall said understandingly. “It’s called self-preservation.”

The sole ACC school that’s shown interest in taking on Wichita State, according to Marshall, is Wake Forest. “To be honest with you, we don’t think they’re good enough,” he said. “They don’t help our schedule.”

Of course the Deacons may be under new bench management next season. Marshall’s name has surfaced as a possible replacement for Jeff [Redacted], who’s in the process of posting his fourth underwhelming record in four years at Winston-Salem. (Marshall also reportedly was considered for the N.C. State job in 2011.) But the 51-year-old South Carolina native, who spent nine seasons at Winthrop before moving to Kansas in 2007-08, said he’s not particularly interested in coaching at Wake should the opportunity arise.

“They would have to have a Brinks truck” full of money, said Marshall, who earns about $2 million annually. “I’ve got a pretty good situation here. We can win. We sell out every game. They really like me here.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/06/3679985/jacobs-cant-blame-basketball-teams.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Note that Marshall did not say he wasn't interested in the Wake job. Just that we'd have to make him a strong offer.

Wow, fuck everything

Can we finally put all this absurd Shaka or Marshall!??!?! stuff to rest now?

Marshall sounds like a coach who will definitely listen to offers.

Uh oh.

brinks2.JPG

Me thinks Marshall thinks mighty highly of himself.

so a guy who makes $2M in a place where he wins all the time and has a great following says that someone would have to pay him a boat load of money to leave? Anyone would have to pay him a boat load...maybe traditional top 10 powerhouse could lure him away for 3 or 4 million, but anyone else is going to have to fork over serious cash to get him. I don't think that's really a slight at Wake as we definitely aren't good enough to help their schedule this year.

lulz, Marshall is so awesome.

Not that we had a chance before that interview, but no way Wellman hires him now.

In related news, fuck everything.

That pretty much seals it. Wellman has never and will never load up a Brinks truck for a coach who hasn't won big at Wake, no matter what he's done elsewhere. If Marshall is getting $2M at Wichita St, I can't imagine Wellman ever offering much more than that, if even that much.

He should think highly of himself. Final 4 last year, undefeated this year...

You do realize that he gave that quote to the flagship paper for the state that the head of the selection committee lives in? His he trying to stoke a fire in Wellman for seeding purposes?

So were "I Don't Give A S--- About Carolina" T-shirts, mimicking Roy's famous cussing at TV reporter Bonnie Bernstein after losing the '03 national title game. Bernstein had asked him about the job he wound up taking one week later.

Back