• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

I like it ... that could have been an invite to make a good offer

Bob%20McCreary%20donation%20to%20WFU%20athletic%20department-L.jpg

In detective school, they call this a "clue."

Did they make that giant check on MS Word or something?

Hold your horses buddy. You're not quite in the $2 million club yet.

Marshall's salary will increase to $1.6 million per year starting Nov. 9, and it will rise to $1.75 million beginning in April 2014, the school announced. Marshall has a seven-year rolling contract, which means that each time he finishes a year, it adds a year. With last season's rollover, Marshall is under contract until 2020. According to contract details provided by the school for 2013, Wichita State paid Marshall $1.03 million, excluding incentive bonuses and $125,000 in deferred compensation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/09/24/wichita-state-raises-gregg-marshalls-salary-to-175-million/2861659/

Even though most of you guys think we are made of money, we aren't. There are limitations to what we can do and you amateur detectives who think you know what our athletic budget is really dont have a clue.

This is bullshit. Bob McCreary just wrote a $7.5 million check to the football program and there is more behind this. If our athletic department is intelligent, we can secure similar contributions earmarked to men's basketball.

Charles Koch probably pays Marshall's salary himself.

Bob McCreary was a football player and gave money earmarked for a football facility. Which former hoops player is stepping up to fund various hoops projects?

It has nothing to do with being made of money. It has to do with making wise investments. Investing $3m/year into Marshall will make a hell of a lot more money for the university than paying [Redacted] or another POS coach $1M/year.

Exactly. I think most people on the board understand we might be tight for cash. But this would be an opportunity to dip into reserve funds to invest in an asset that will make more money (additional revenues, additional donations) for the school.

Look at the donations Claw has raised. And he isn't a hire on the level of Marshall and basketball is our #1 sport. I think it's a defensible position if you think Marshall is elite that it makes complete sense from a money perspective as an investment.

Ha, reminds me of the Roy Williams comment about not giving a shit about North Carolina before accepting the job at North Carolina.

It's no secret we'd have to pay him, and we likely wouldn't pay him. He's still coaching the best team in a garbage conference. He's still in year 7, and it took until year 6 to win his first NCAA Tourney game. Drawing the magical Pitt/Gonzaga/La Salle draw to make the Elite 8 was extremely fortunate. Watching OSU's starting 5 shoot 17% from deep must have been nice also.

What we need is the opposite of their miracle run as a #9 seed last year - maybe a first weekend loss to a top 40 kenpom team. Early's graduating. The 2nd best team in their conference is ranked higher than only 4 ACC teams and nobody will play them.

He may sell out games and of course they like him there - but there's no way Wichita State is his long term home. Playing a season full of cupcakes just to get a shot at one game that means something in the NCAA tourney at a school nobody will remember for anything 10 years from now doesn't fit his ego.

This is what needs to be discussed. After what Wake Forest has been through -- why won't he? It is absolutely necessary.

I imagine he wouldn't because we might not be able to pay a coach $3m/year. A lot of folks around here seem to think we can, but I've yet to see anyone explain why Wellman wouldn't spend that money if we had it. I do think sometimes we forget that we're a school with one of the smallest alumni bases in a BCS conference. I gave very little money to the Deacon Club over the course of 10 years, and I was still like a top-3000 donor. I would have probably been like a top-17000 donor at Clemson. While it's great we're in the ACC and get those payments, a quick google search pulled up this from a couple years ago, which seems to show that most of the successful schools take in more in contributions than in NCAA and conference distributions:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...butions-or-ncaa-and-conference-distributions/

Also, we have a football stadium that seats 31,500 people.

Anyway, just saying that I can see why we are not in a position to pay a top-10 in the country salary. I hope we can, I'd love to get Marshall, but suspect the answer is we can't.

Me thinks Marshall thinks mighty highly of himself.

I will take Buzz over that asshole.

You do realize that he gave that quote to the flagship paper for the state that the head of the selection committee lives in? His he trying to stoke a fire in Wellman for seeding purposes?

A) Y'all are ridiculous.

B) I think you're missing the point of just how little Marshall cares about stupid status quo conventions as long as he is winning. This is the guy we need.

Bring on the Brinks truck, Ron. Make it happen, BOT.

How much do you think it would take? $3.5-4 million/year?

Marshall is NOT coming (and neither is Shaka for that matter). Take off your black and gold glasses and look at it objectively. VCU and Wichita State are both BETTER jobs than Wake right now. Either guy would be taking a step down. Hell, in the last few years, Shaka has been to two Sweet 16s and a Final Four. Wake has been to ONE sweet 16 since Duncan left and one Final Four EVER.

And you would grovel to the devil. No self respecting wake grad would accept such a pompous idiot. Of course if not a grad, I understand your thinking.

Damn, you don't get it. He is positioning for a future job.

Marshall is NOT coming (and neither is Shaka for that matter). Take off your black and gold glasses and look at it objectively. VCU and Wichita State are both BETTER jobs than Wake right now. Either guy would be taking a step down. Hell, in the last few years, Shaka has been to two Sweet 16s and a Final Four. Wake has been to ONE sweet 16 since Duncan left and one Final Four EVER.

Don't buy that at all. More people saw us beat Duke Wednesday than have watched a Wichita State game all year.

Back