• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

Wasn't guitardeac the same guy who wrongly (yet confidently, based on his sources) guaranteed Bz would get fired last two years?

I'm glad you asked.

1/13/13
What difference does it make if we win or lose a game or two? Why would anyone connect that, at this point, with some idea as to Buzz being here beyond this season? There is zero - and I mean dead zero - chance Buzz will be coaching Wake next season. How could anyone possibly even consider otherwise and actually waste time discussing the possibility? Holy shit people.

2/18/13
Guys, guys, guys. Wellman is firing Buzz after he loses in the ACC tournament. Absolutely 100% sure. You guys have lost all confidence in Wellman because he made a mistake hiring Buzz and he has done his best in public to back Buzz - like almost every other leader does for their coach at least in college. Here's the deal: Wellman became completely infatuated with Buzz when his Air Force team beat Wake several years ago. Absolutely infatuated, which came partly from the fact that Wellman already was friendly with Buzz. So he found his chance in his mind to fire Gaudio and hire Buzz. Wellman also way overestimated his own clout with the fans as he really did think that he had built up enough equity with Wake fans that they would believe in any choice Wellman made. He also just didn't realize the degree to which the Wake fans would be down on the Buzz choice. And a step further, Wellman really was convinced thaT Buzz would come across better to fans initially than he did. So it started out FAR worse than Wellman ever even considered. And certainly on top of that, Wellman felt liek Buzz would have success at Wake and not be a complete disaster. So Wellman just completely effed up on this hire. Everythign about it. But Wellman is smart. He really is. I have known him a long time and that is a very smart man for sure. He just screwed up - like most of us do from time to time. And he really has had no choice but to try and back him in public the best he can. But rest assured, without any question at all Buzz will be fired at the end of the season. Wellman is smart enough for sure and has a grasp on the business side of the decision to know that he doesn't have any choice at all but to fire him. None. Any discussion as to whether or not he will be fired is an absolute waste of time.

2/22/13
The vast and I mean VAST majority of "big money" donors are absolutely NOT behind Buzz. Several are vocal about it and have written letters. I dont know Sutton at all, but it would be my guess that he would be far from upset if Buzz was replaced after this season. Try to imagine in your heads ANYONE rasing cane if Buzz was fired. Buzz is gone after the season. That can't be anything other than common sense to you guys. Wellman wanted badly for Buzz to turn things around mightily this season for a littany of reasons, but he fell miserably short again. Wellman knows he has no choice. He really does know that the best thing for the program, the school, and also Wellman himself is to change coaches. Believe me, Wellman does NOT think that he himself will look and come out better if he keeps Buzz nor does Wellman consider that to be the priority over the good of the program and school. I realize some opinions of Wellman have faltered, but much of that is from hyperbole. Wellman, like most AD's and the like, simply is in a position where he publicly should and does stand behind his coaches while they are still in their jobs.

3/10/12
Look back and you will see that I also have said this. This is absolutely correct and I don't want to reveal how I know it to be the truth. Many of you will remember my post saying so. Wellman has been completely infatuated with Buzz since the loss to Air Force years ago. Just absolutely infatuated. Like some high school crush that he had to satisfy.

The result was that very soon after he made the hire Wellman knew he had made a mistake. Ron Wellman is highly intelligent. Like anyone, he can and did make a mistake and he knew it and believe me he knows it now. Believe that.

3/23/12
Guys, PLEASE stop discussing whether or not Buzz will continue as coach. It's a complete waste of time. It is absurd to even consider that he will be our coach next season. Maybe move into debating who will be our next coach. But it's pointless to discuss Buzz anymore. Just pointless. He is gone.

11/29/12
I'm a former Deacon Club board member but have never been on the BOT. A couple of the very biggest athletic donors are still very good friends of mine, one of whom I speak to almost daily. Most of you Deacon sports followers would know these guys or at least know their faces or names. One of them I know has recently written a letter stating his reasons and desire for a head coach to be fired and the other felt like he was going to follow suit. They both have huge sway, or at least they have as much as an alumnus can have. Both of them are very unhappy with the athletic department and the situation with both our football and basketball programs. So if these guys are doing it, I'm sure others are. And these guys are always so positive about Wake sports, I would think they would be the last 2 guys to turn on coaches. Both of them know Grobe and Buzz very well personally.

That's what I thought.

Regardless, I remain convinced that if Wellman does not throw a Brinks truck at Marshall, he should get fired on the spot.

I realize he could make more, but if the guy feels like he can not "set up" his family making 1.75 million a year, he needs to see some financial advisors. From the interview on the front page it sounds more to me that he is really happy where he is, so I would agree it would just take a ton of cash for him to look.

34-0 Obviously you can not do any better but:
* they have not played one top 25 team all season.
*Tenn & BYU are their best wins.
* There is not one other team in their conference in the top 100.
*So his 139-70 record is very impressive, and combined with 2012 & 2013 he is 46-8 in Conference play. During this span Creighton is the only other team to crack the top 25 within the Missouri Valley Conference

I am not so sure I would rest my fate on a guy that has coached against such inferior talent, but what Marshall pulled off last year in the tournament was VERY impressive. As they say, you can’t beat who you do not play, but he seriously needs to add some beef to that pitiful schedule.

Saint Louis was not top-25 at the time, but they spent most of the season there (and were even in the top 10 for a few weeks), so I'd definitely put that road win far and away above the Tennessee and BYU games. Additionally, they scheduled games at Alabama, vs. Davidson, vs. NC Central (ask NC State how good they are), and played in the CBE Classic, which usually has a very good field (not sure who DePaul paid off to get into it this year). I'm sure they were counting on two games vs. Creighton as well this year, before the old Big East blew up last spring.

I had a good friend that used to work at Winthrop for about 7 years during the 2000's, so I followed them very closely during Marshall's time there....he repeatedly played higher seeds tough in the conference tournament (usually as 15 or 14 seeds), and finally broke through with that upset win in 2007. Then, two years after he leaves Winthrop goes 11-19. He's proven over the past decade that he can play, and beat, good teams, is it his fault that no one will put them on the schedule?

Exactly right about the Saint Louis Team being the best on their schedule. I did overlook the mighty Billikins, so they did beat a top 25 team. As I said earlier, can’t beat who you do not play, but I still feel it is tough to put the “future” of Wake’s program in the hands of a coach that wins in a conference that typically only has two or maybe three top 100 teams. Much like the football, teams that feel their teams can’t be held back for the BCS title because of the league they play in, you have to get those Big Boys to take you on. Look at Davidson (who they beat), the Wildcats are 15-1 in the conference, and 5-11 outside the conference. Playing five games against top 25 teams, and throw in UGA ,Clemson, and College of Charleston (all equal stature to Tenn & Bama). He has been there six years, plenty of time to line up stronger opponents.

I will be more impressed if he follows up last season with another strong run. Two weeks, and I think there will be a lot more proof.

Last edited:
I'm going to enjoy inviting OldGoldBeard to be the head of research for the BzIn inquisition that will be starting up soon.

Wasn't guitardeac the same guy who wrongly (yet confidently, based on his sources) guaranteed Bz would get fired last two years?

Yes, along with a bunch of others. And for sure that was correct, Buzz was going to be let go but Wellman changed his mind. True. It's always funny to me that besides at home with my wife, this is the only place where if you have ever been incorrect before it is assumed that you will always be incorrect. Wellman had Buzz done, and he reversed it. Unbelievable to this day.

All I am saying is that in my opinion GM is absolutely NOT a prick. I don't predict what Wellman the idiot is going to do anymore based on ANYTHING I am told from ANYONE - even HIM. Regardless of ANYTHING. Yep, as it turns out the information that Wellman was firing Buzz was correct at the time, and incredibly - just absolutely incredibly - Wellman changed his mind really late. How could ANYONE have thought that a sane person would have kept Buzz. And even more incredible, that having decided to fire him that he would change his mind? WTF? Even without any information other than watching the team and Buzz and his record etc. He absolutely changed his mind last minute about firing Buzz. I think there's a whole lot of people that are aware of that. I don't know because I don't follow these boards much, but isn't that pretty widely known now? Wellman is a baffoon. He made me think he was when he hired Buzz, but then he took any doubt away when he changed his mind and didn't let him go a couple years ago. What a ridiculous decision. It doesn't really matter who believes what. It's a sport on these boards to shoot holes in anything someone says, which is why I don't post much or even look here much. Cool. But 99% of us are Wake grads who have a lot in common. I doubt there are many idiots on here, if any. Things change, and it's hard to be right all the time. But my personal experience with Marshall is that he's a good dude and it's just a bummer that people say otherwise. Take it or leave it, assume it's wrong - whatever. I just felt like I should say that rumor is wrong at least in my experience. As usual here, probably not worth the effort. I hope Wake fires Buzz and finds a way to hire Marshall. He would win.

Last edited:
Back