• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

wallpaper-proud-new-thumb.jpg

We're better than all those uncultured schools winning conference and national titles!

People act like Wellman will be around another decade. He's probably retired in 2 years.

Unfortunately Wellman cares. Marshall wouldn't be a yesman to the Premiere, which is why Wellman will never seriously consider him.

i think we all just assume buzz is a pushover, a pussycat, if you will. he's probably a big prick

People act like Wellman will be around another decade. He's probably retired in 2 years.

Why? He can stick around and collect checks as long as he wants.

Maybe Ron's gonna retire in the next few years. Claw and the new basketball coach will be his legacy. Make a big hire, Ron. We'll name the court after you...the one on which Marshall or Shaka lead the Deacs to many, many victories as they build a historically competitive program. Come on...do it!

You can't be serious about this. Wellman has destroyed our program. This will always be Wellman's legacy regardless of who he hires to replace [Redacted], if he even makes a change.

Is Clawson a yes-man ?
Was Skip?

No, but they seem to have the aura about them that they are easy to get along with, just as Grobe before Clawson. Dino seemed to be a hard nosed Philly guy, which is nothing like what Wellman wants. That's why I doubt Marshall will receive consideration, just like he was neglected in 2010. Wellman has said he's more concerned about Culture® over almost everything else.

Unfortunately Wellman cares. Marshall wouldn't be a yesman to the Premiere, which is why Wellman will never seriously consider him.

Of course, but I'm not talking about Wellman. I'm talking about posters ON THIS BOARD who don't like him because he's supposedly dickish and I can't fathom why any of them should care.

Charles Koch probably pays Marshall's salary himself.

Well, Marshall does seem to like him.

Carchia: Which living person do you most admire?
Marshall: Charles Koch. He's a Wichitan who owns the second-largest privately owned company, Koch Industries. He and his brother [David] are tied for the fourth-richest man in America, and he's done it with great integrity and commitment to the community. He's incredibly brilliant.

Guys, as I have posted on other threads - I am pretty good friends with Marshall and have been for several years. I won't get into the back story again. But guys, Greg Marshall is NOT a prick - at all. It really bugs me when I see this written about him. He's a great guy. He's fun, funny, nice, smart, loyal to his friends - all those things. He would fit right in with any of us. One of my best friends is REALLY close friends with Marshall and that's how he and I got to know each other. We have played a pretty good bit of golf together. Our mutual friend talks to him very regularly - they are really tight friends for years - and I am telling you all this stuff about him being a prick is just not so. Greg, if anything, can be a touch blunt when discussing basketball but he's not even like over the top competitive like some people can be. At least that's my impression. He just simply feels like he's good at his profession (I imagine a lot of us on these boards feel like we are too) and it seems that he's right about that. I personally have never really talked to him much about his plans for his future, but I do know that he thinks he will get a top 5 program type job at some point. My guess is that he is REALLY thinking that now. And I also think - and this isn't based on anything direct I have heard him say - that he wants to end up in the NBA. That's just my gut feel. And as far as gut feels go - and pick me apart all you want and spin away but I might be the only one on this thread that knows GM personally - I don't think GM would want the Wake job. I think he has his sights set on a flashier big-time program for his next step and Wake is just sort of a mess right now. And I know that our mutual friend said that Marshall told him that he wants to get paid big-time for his next job too. He thinks at his age he is a little behind the curve in rising to the top of his profession, and sort of feels like he needs to catch up and get really set financially for his family.

I don't know anything for 100% sure, but I do know that GM is NOT a prick. At all. That's really the only thing I want to be sure I get out there.

Last edited:
I realize he could make more, but if the guy feels like he can not "set up" his family making 1.75 million a year, he needs to see some financial advisors. From the interview on the front page it sounds more to me that he is really happy where he is, so I would agree it would just take a ton of cash for him to look.

34-0 Obviously you can not do any better but:
* they have not played one top 25 team all season.
*Tenn & BYU are their best wins.
* There is not one other team in their conference in the top 100.
*So his 139-70 record is very impressive, and combined with 2012 & 2013 he is 46-8 in Conference play. During this span Creighton is the only other team to crack the top 25 within the Missouri Valley Conference

I am not so sure I would rest my fate on a guy that has coached against such inferior talent, but what Marshall pulled off last year in the tournament was VERY impressive. As they say, you can’t beat who you do not play, but he seriously needs to add some beef to that pitiful schedule.

Guys, as I have posted on other threads - I am pretty good friends with Marshall and have been for several years. I won't get into the back story again. But guys, Greg Marshall is NOT a prick - at all. It really bugs me when I see this written about him. He's a great guy. He's fun, funny, nice, smart, loyal to his friends - all those things. He would fit right in with any of us. One of my best friends is REALLY close friends with Marshall and that's how he and I got to know each other. We have played a pretty good bit of golf together. Our mutual friend talks to him very regularly - they are really tight friends for years - and I am telling you all this stuff about him being a prick is just not so. Greg, if anything, can be a touch blunt when discussing basketball but he's not even like over the top competitive like some people can be. At least that's my impression. He just simply feels like he's good at his profession (I imagine a lot of us on these boards feel like we are too) and it seems that he's right about that. I personally have never really talked to him much about his plans for his future, but I do know that he thinks he will get a top 5 program type job at some point. My guess is that he is REALLY thinking that now. And I also think - and this isn't based on anything direct I have heard him say - that he wants to end up in the NBA. That's just my gut feel. And as far as gut feels go - and pick me apart all you want and spin away but I might be the only one on this thread that knows GM personally - I don't think GM would want the Wake job. I think he has his sights set on a flashier big-time program for his next step and Wake is just sort of a mess right now. And I know that our mutual friend said that Marshall told him that he wants to get paid big-time for his next job too. He thinks at his age he is a little behind the curve in rising to the top of his profession, and sort of feels like he needs to catch up and get really set financially for his family.

I don't know anything for 100% sure, but I do know that GM is NOT a prick. At all. That's really the only thing I want to be sure I get out there.

That's good info. Thanks. I really feel we have a better chance with Shaka than we do with Marshall. And we may only have a 35% chance with Shaka.

But has GM seen our Dignity. Class. Integrity. logo? That would assuredly win him over!

Dignity. Integrity. Class

"DIC"- See what I did there just by rearranging a couple of words... that should help make Marshall feel more welcome to take our position.

But has GM seen our Dignity. Class. Integrity. logo? That would assuredly win him over!

The problem here is that our biggest asset is the Wake Forest way. How can we articulate that to a big-name coach without him experiencing and practicing it every day?

Guys, as I have posted on other threads - I am pretty good friends with Marshall and have been for several years. I won't get into the back story again. But guys, Greg Marshall is NOT a prick - at all. It really bugs me when I see this written about him. He's a great guy. He's fun, funny, nice, smart, loyal to his friends - all those things. He would fit right in with any of us. One of my best friends is REALLY close friends with Marshall and that's how he and I got to know each other. We have played a pretty good bit of golf together. Our mutual friend talks to him very regularly - they are really tight friends for years - and I am telling you all this stuff about him being a prick is just not so. Greg, if anything, can be a touch blunt when discussing basketball but he's not even like over the top competitive like some people can be.

You spelled the name of your "good friend" incorrectly twice in the quoted section alone. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to bother Gregg.

"I get letters now from people applying for a job where my name is misspelled, one 'G' or one 'L,'" Marshall says. "I just go, 'Yeah, whatever.' I throw them in the trash; I don't even respond. Would you?"

Please, Moon, come give us one of your patented psychiatric evaluations on guitardeac.

Back