• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

Cool, let's all count on RW and WF as an institution on the whole (that includes big donors, btw) to do the exact opposite of what they've always done. Seems reasonable.

Cool, let's all count on RW and WF as an institution on the whole (that includes big donors, btw) to do the exact opposite of what they've always done. Seems reasonable.

One could argue that the sample size we have of coaches hired by RW and WF in the modern college sports era is miniscule, so we can't really use it to predict what they will do

Man, I would just appreciate a coach that doesn't piss on is and tell us it's raining.

Winthrop isn't a better job than Vermont. Vermont won an NCAA tourny game the year before Lonergan (57 KP) and they are #62 this year. I would say an avg Vermont team is around 130 and Winthrop 200

Fair enough, didn't know that. Three points though: 1) If a coach has been at both a low-major and a mid-major then people are, correctly, going to lean on the mid-major results as stronger evidence of what said coach can do at a high-major. 2) Lonergan's success at a mid-major, through 3 years, has been more impressive than Marshall's first 3 years at Wichita State. Mind you, George Washington, while not necessarily a better job than WSU (support, academics, money), does have better access to talent to enable a quick turn around. 3) The vast majority of people, myself included, would be at least somewhat disappointed with Lonergan due to his comparative lack of mid-major success.

Put it altogether, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that people would have been a bit disappointed with Marshall in 2010. His local success helps off set that a bit, but I feel certain there would have been lots of talk of him not quite turning the corner at WSU and not knowing if his Winthrop success would translate to a higher level. That said, he would have always been more well liked than [Redacted] (not hard), and I feel certain that he would have been successful here. It's just an interesting hypothetical to think about.

People who have been paying attention know RW isn't going to splash out on a Brinks truck move, so I'm not sure why this thread persists.

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it."

― Albert Einstein

One could argue that the sample size we have of coaches hired by RW and WF in the modern college sports era is miniscule, so we can't really use it to predict what they will do

Skip was a pretty big hire. [Redacted] was a ballsy hire and, ultimately, was likely pretty high-up on Wellman's list (top 3-4 imo).

Wake Forest basketball is not Wake Forest football.

It's a weird deal because, while the competitive gap between mid and high majors has narrowed, the financial gap has actually widened.

Marshall didn't build Wichita State from the ground up. Mark Turgeon had reached the Sweet Sixteen with Wichita State in 2006 and was replaced by Marshall when he left for Texas A&M in 2007.

Where was WSU at when Turgeon left? Had you heard of Winthrop basketball before Gregg got there?

I wonder how people would have reacted to Marshall in 2010. If Wellman hadn't completely botched everything and had let Dino fail in 2010-2011 (when WSU beat Carolina for the NIT title) then I think the story would be different, but I have the feeling people wouldn't have been too excited about him in 2010.

I would have. I wanted him back in 2010 on the old board. But then again when they hired Bzz, I was also willing to give him a chance.

Why so salty, BDZ? There's hope in the air!

Not for Shaka and Marshall

RW was a baseball player, right? I don't know, maybe he was a singles hitter, but surely at some point he found himself in a game situation where it made sense to take a home run cut. This is that situation.

It's a weird deal because, while the competitive gap between mid and high majors has narrowed, the financial gap has actually widened.

This is absolutely true. The new money needs a few more coaching cycles to start seeing the effects. But I think you start seeing more coaches jumping at power league jobs like the old days.

Not for Shaka and Marshall

how-to-deal-with-a-buzzkill_h-zod_0.jpg

This gives me hope on Marshall's end. Now Wellman needs to give us hope on Wake's end. Agree with those who think Marshall is the ideal hire. Guy likes beating up on supposed "big boys" and wins everywhere. If we want to compete at the top we should hire with that attitude.

Hmmmmmm....I'm not sharing in the optimism on this thread. I hope I am wrong, but RW doesn't seem the type to hire someone who will have the audacity/ego that will rival his own. He needs complete control. There's a difference between confidence and arrogance, Clawson demonstrating confidence, and Marshall coming off as slightly arrogant. That said, I would LOVE him to come here and be arrogant and win.

Maybe Ron's gonna retire in the next few years. Claw and the new basketball coach will be his legacy. Make a big hire, Ron. We'll name the court after you...the one on which Marshall or Shaka lead the Deacs to many, many victories as they build a historically competitive program. Come on...do it!

Where was WSU at when Turgeon left? Had you heard of Winthrop basketball before Gregg got there?

Wichita State had reached the Sweet Sixteen in 2006 and then was ranked in the Top 10 in 2007 before dropping at the end of the season. Of course, I went to another Missouri Valley school, so I am more familiar with Wichita State than most people here.

He did build Winthrop up, but WSU wasn't from the ground up, just new heights (at least new heights in the modern era, they had made the Final Four in the 1960s as well).

Back