• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

Serious question: is Shaka even good enough to be hired by UNC? You're talking about at worst a top 3 job in the country and arguably the best. The last coach they hired held a top 5ish job for 15 years and went to 4 Final Fours and 2 title games. I understand that Roy's ties to UNC played a big part in that but I really think they will (and will have to) aim higher. They could hire basically anyone with the obvious exceptions of K, Pitino, Cal and probably Self.

Kind of a different version of the same question: By the time the UNC job opens, will anyone remember VCU's Final Four run? I think Shaka's great but you're still not likely looking at another FF run. Will a FF 5-6-7 years ago be memorable enough for the UNC $$ to pony up for Shaka ?
Shaka needs to cash in now because he's probably hit his ceiling at VCU.

Which one of those jobs is coming available anytime soon? UNC, Dook, Kansas, UK, UCLA. Arizona, Florida, IU. Louisville, UConn- those jobs aren't coming open for several years.

And Gregg is 51 years old so when they do open his age will probably be an issue.

It wasn't when Guthredge & Roy took the job.

Guthridge was only hired because Dean didn't announce his retirement until October, so they couldn't do a real coaching search. And Roy was 53 when he took the UNC job. Marshall will be at least 58 or 59 by the time the UNC job comes open

It wasn't when Guthredge & Roy took the job.

Different situations. Guthridge was Dean's handpicked successor. Roy was a UNC grad and had 4 final fours and a 0.805 record at Kansas.

Even so, Carolina is the only that, imo, Marshall has a legitimate shot at given his age. K and Boeheim are older, but both are candidates to die on the court; Boeheim has a handpicked successor, and K has enough guys out there that one of them is sure to do enough that K can get one of them hired. And, throughout this, Marshall has to have in the back of his mind that Shaka is out there and 15 years younger than him. I think he tries to move quickly.

Crean could get fired I suppose.

I wonder how people would have reacted to Marshall in 2010. If Wellman hadn't completely botched everything and had let Dino fail in 2010-2011 (when WSU beat Carolina for the NIT title) then I think the story would be different, but I have the feeling people wouldn't have been too excited about him in 2010.

Dude has built two programs from the ground up. He ain't Grant and he ain't Pelphrey. He most certainly is not Pete Lembo.

Marshall didn't build Wichita State from the ground up. Mark Turgeon had reached the Sweet Sixteen with Wichita State in 2006 and was replaced by Marshall when he left for Texas A&M in 2007.

I either think we should throw the money at Marshall or hire somebody else good enough to get us back to being good and go whip Marshall's ass if he's still at Wichita!!!

Marshall didn't build Wichita State from the ground up. Mark Turgeon had reached the Sweet Sixteen with Wichita State in 2006 and was replaced by Marshall when he left for Texas A&M in 2007.

Well, Wichita State went 11-20 Marshall's first year so that suggests that he sure wasn't building from much, even though Turgeon had been successful there. Although nowhere near as successful as Marshall.

I wonder how people would have reacted to Marshall in 2010. If Wellman hadn't completely botched everything and had let Dino fail in 2010-2011 (when WSU beat Carolina for the NIT title) then I think the story would be different, but I have the feeling people wouldn't have been too excited about him in 2010.

His resume in 2010 is pretty solid: 217, 226, 101, 83, 48 at Winthrop and 153, 132, 69 at Wichita State (pretty young team that last year there too). Going to be much better resume than we are going to hire this search most likely.

His resume in 2010 is pretty solid: 217, 226, 101, 83, 48 at Winthrop and 153, 132, 69 at Wichita State (pretty young team that last year there too). Going to be much better resume than we are going to hire this search most likely.

Solid but not inspiring. Obviously the job he did at Winthrop was ridiculous (top 50 at a low major..wow), but Lonergan's numbers at George Washington are more impressive than Marshall's at Wichita State were. Marshall's Winthrop results were better than Lonergan's Vermont numbers, but Winthrop strikes me as a significantly better job (access to talent).

people who have been paying attention have been talking about marshall since he was at winthrop

Solid but not inspiring. Obviously the job he did at Winthrop was ridiculous (top 50 at a low major..wow), but Lonergan's numbers at George Washington are more impressive than Marshall's at Wichita State were. Marshall's Winthrop results were better than Lonergan's Vermont numbers, but Winthrop strikes me as a significantly better job (access to talent).

Winthrop isn't a better job than Vermont. Vermont won an NCAA tourny game the year before Lonergan (57 KP) and they are #62 this year. I would say an avg Vermont team is around 130 and Winthrop 200

people who have been paying attention have been talking about marshall since he was at winthrop

Yes. Lost on a buzzer beater in the 15/2 game to Bruce Pearl in Greensboro and then the following year they were even better and won an NCAA game. He was hot.

First, as state many times in this thread, he basically said all the coach speak about the great situation he's in. Then he opens the door with the "pay me" statement. And finally, he says we're not good. But what he didn't say is he knows we have been good and that Wake can recruit NBA talent if we want to. I think he's signalling Wellman that a) he'll have to be near the top of the ACC in coaches pay and b) forget the culture bullshit. He either recruits who he needs to get to the FF and a NC or don't waste my time. He's bkf's kind of guy...

People who have been paying attention know RW isn't going to splash out on a Brinks truck move, so I'm not sure why this thread persists.

People who have been paying attention know RW isn't going to splash out on a Brinks truck move, so I'm not sure why this thread persists.

I suspect there are some big donors that are telling Ronnie he better not screw this up a second time or they'll see to it he's gone. Just a hunch.

Back