• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

I would offer $2 to $2.5 million base and a generous performance bonus structure. An NCAAT championship would be worth $4 million.

Lloyd's of London would sell you a policy to protect against that kind of mayhem for about $50 a year.

We have all spent so much time and energy discussing the sorry state of our basketball program, and specifically [Redacted], during the last four years that it got me wondering. What we will discuss if [Redacted] is fired, and Mr. Wellman hires someone who we can all feel good about? I'm so tired of the drama surrounding our program and athletic department that it's probably going to feel pretty good just to talk about the players, our team, our opponents, the NCAA Tournament, etc. I'm not sure how much more of this I can handle. If [Redacted] is back for another year - I will be profoundly sad and angry. Please Mr. Wellman - it's time to change the topic.

Do you buttheads realize that Marshall possibly isn't going to be available till April?

That's actually a pretty funny and true point from Biff Tannen. If we can [Redacted] next week, but haven't hired a coach by the end of the NCAAT, people around here are going to be absolutely losing their minds.

That's actually a pretty funny and true point from Biff Tannen. If we can [Redacted] next week, but haven't hired a coach by the end of the NCAAT, people around here are going to be absolutely losing their minds.

I think in this scenario, we're hoping for VCU and WSU to lose by the Sweet 16. And if we haven't hired a coach by that point, I think the hysteria will mostly be because we've convinced ourselves that we're getting one of the coaches involved.

Ph, I'm looking to you to add your two cents! (my all-time favorite tag, not my creation.)

Seriously, though. Every little bit helps.

I'm out $50.

Thanks, Bz.

I'm with you guys on 2 basic points:

1) Marshall is pretty clearly implying that he would listen if a school like Wake Forest came calling with the 'right' offer;
2) Wake Forest is never going to approach him with the 'right' offer, thanks to a combination of lack of money and Wellman's preferences. We're not paying our next basketball coach $3+ million a year, and there simply is no way Wellman is going to hire a guy who is calling us out in public like this.

This is exactly what I think, as well. Except I would even say I expect Marshall to leave WSU after this season. No idea where he goes, but it is probably not Wake Forest.

There were a lot of empty, green seats in the Joel the other night disguised as revenue opportunities. If Marshall/Shaka were coaching at WF I would drive down to W-S at least a couple of times per year to see games. With Bz, I let my Xbox live expire because I could care less about paying a dime to anyone to watch this bzaster for 4 years.

You hate Bz so much that it made you stop playing video games online against other people? Wow.

Not being sarcastic... That's just more hate than I have for pretty much anyone.

I am quite sure that the Shaka ship never loosed its moorings. The Marshall ship sailed when dumbass hired Buzz.

In a perfect world, dumbass would go away. In an imperfect world, god only knows what dumbass might do next.

Every time we have a coaching search the board gets whipped into a frenzy over 1 person. John Pelphrey, Anthony Grant, Pete Lembo, now Marshall. Everyone just chill the hell out and relax. Nothing being discussed right now has any bearing on our search, and any names are pure conjecture. There is no reason to have 2 different threads on this board bashing Russell Turner, who happened to play a part in some of our biggest successes.

If you can't see how Marshall is in a completely, utterly superior league to guys like Pelphrey, Grant, and Lembo, then I don't know what to tell you. I would recommend checking out his career numbers for starters, though. Dude has worked his way up from the bottom and has impressed at every stop.

Dude logged 194-43 and got to the NCAA Tournament at Winthrop 7 out of 9 years, including finishing first and third in the years that he didn't get to the postseason. Overall, he finished first in the Big South 6 of 9 years, finishing second twice and third once. He also coached Chris Gaynor who was both a local star and happens to be related to a guy we've all heard of...

171-70 at WSU and will have led the Shockers to an NIT Championship, three straight NCAA appearances with a first round win, a trip to the final four last year, and a likely #1 seed this year. At Wichita State in 2014. He hasn't needed one and dones or NBA majors to get there, either.

Dude has built two programs from the ground up. He ain't Grant and he ain't Pelphrey. He most certainly is not Pete Lembo.

Also, if we are hiring an assistant coach to work with big men, then I'd love to have Russell Turner, but times have changed, he has coached elsewhere, and people are entitled to their opinion because this is a fucking message board. kthxbai

Marshall is absolutely saying in that quote he wouldn't come to Wake. You don't build 2 programs with great success, go to the final four, then go undefeated the next year and jump to a mediocre program with limited resources. You jump to one of the top 5-10 programs with that resume. And him answering the question the way he did was just using us as leverage to get paid more when one of those programs come knocking.

Marshall is absolutely saying in that quote he wouldn't come to Wake. You don't build 2 programs with great success, go to the final four, then go undefeated the next year and jump to a mediocre program with limited resources. You jump to one of the top 5-10 programs with that resume. And him answering the question the way he did was just using us as leverage to get paid more when one of those programs come knocking.

Which one of those jobs is coming available anytime soon? UNC, Dook, Kansas, UK, UCLA. Arizona, Florida, IU. Louisville, UConn- those jobs aren't coming open for several years.

You hate Bz so much that it made you stop playing video games online against other people? Wow.

Not being sarcastic... That's just more hate than I have for pretty much anyone.

Lol dude. I have a 9-year old son that would prefer to be in a gym, baseball field, or Taekwondo floor rather than play video games. So that's why I don't spend a lot of time in front of the tv. I'm trying to keep up with him! I don't hate Bz. He is a terrible basketball coach. Nothing he has ever done would prove otherwise. I wish him a nice going-green life after he leaves WF. I hope he is replaced by Marshall or Shaka. If neither of those 2 then I could be happy with Masiello/White/Miller. These guys would get me down for a couple of games at least AND I'll fire my Xbox live back up. After that, the list of available coaches is pretty underwhelming to me.

Getting 3 mill for Marshall is easy:

1. We pay Bz 1 mill now
2. We just saved 1 mill with Clawson (now, we're up to 2 mill)
3. Ronald cuts his inflated salary in half for sucking. That's an additional million.

Boom! You're at 3 million. Done.

I get that some here think Marshall goes bigger than Wake..but as mentioned, where is that? None of the top jobs are open..we appear to be the best job open this upcoming off season. If he wants out from WSU now, we are it..

Getting 3 mill for Marshall is easy:

1. We pay Bz 1 mill now
2. We just saved 1 mill with Clawson (now, we're up to 2 mill)
3. Ronald cuts his inflated salary in half for sucking. That's an additional million.

Boom! You're at 3 million. Done.

I know this is somewhat tongue in cheek, in the sense that it would be nice but will never happen, but it makes a point. Getting to 3 mill per year average isn't unattainable. Especially if the first 1-2 years are a bit under 3 and you build in a planned yearly increase that ends up well above 3 per at the middle-end of the deal. This also allows the natural revenue increases that will come with renewed interest in the program to take place and help fund the latter stages of the deal.

Back