• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How low our image has gone... from a head coach no less

We'd have to be interested first. That is all for today.

Still better than Wake....and not the question you asked.

If you want to split hairs over whether a team that lost in the round of 32 is "in the conversation for the final 4"- ok. Have at it. Your point was that being Mark Few is something Coach Marshall might strive to create at WSU. And my point is I'm not sure that he would look at Mark Few and think that Few's track record is something that he would think is acceptable.

That guy wants to win championships. To maximize your opportunity at winning championships, you want to play in a power conference for a program that has a successful history. And at least prior to 2010, Wake was one of the 30 best programs in the country and was (and still is) in one of the 3 best conferences in the country.

If Marshall (or any Smart or Few or whoever else) wants to win in a major conference, you have to decide what jobs will come open while your star is burning brightest. A top-10 job is not opening up in the next 2-3 years, barring some tragedy. I don't know about top 20 jobs. So Wake isn't that far off of the conversation.

Fuck it, let's make Bob McCreery our new AD, he's earned it.

If you want to split hairs over whether a team that lost in the round of 32 is "in the conversation for the final 4"- ok. Have at it. Your point was that being Mark Few is something Coach Marshall might strive to create at WSU. And my point is I'm not sure that he would look at Mark Few and think that Few's track record is something that he would think is acceptable.

That guy wants to win championships. To maximize your opportunity at winning championships, you want to play in a power conference for a program that has a successful history. And at least prior to 2010, Wake was one of the 30 best programs in the country and was (and still is) in one of the 3 best conferences in the country.

If Marshall (or any Smart or Few or whoever else) wants to win in a major conference, you have to decide what jobs will come open while your star is burning brightest. A top-10 job is not opening up in the next 2-3 years, barring some tragedy. I don't know about top 20 jobs. So Wake isn't that far off of the conversation.

between 1979 and 2010, 42% of 1 seeds made the Final Four, I am not sure how you can get more "in the conversation."

LOL. Wichita State is one of the best teams in the country. Objectively speaking. 4-5 losses in the ACC is still Top-10 with vastly better strength of schedule numbers.

LOL what? I love when you don't disagree with a single point in a post yet you still manage to be condescending about it.

Obviously Wichita State is one of the best teams in the country. Never said otherwise. To get there and get a top seed in the tourney they basically have to go undefeated - and they spend all year getting "tested" by 3 figure kenpom teams.

Marshall's not always going to have a team that can win 30 games. What's really going to hurt is when he has a team capable of a Sweet 16 or better that gets tripped up early and draws a tough road in the tourney.

Getting your first real test every year in the first or second round of the NCAA Tourney isn't a viable long term strategy for success.

We'd have to be interested first. That is all for today.

It's settled then.

We must burn the Athletic Department to the ground and rebuild it from the wreckage. All of the Premier's MAC goons must go, all LOWF-enablers must be given the Carthage treatment. It's the only way. Stratts, you're the head mother fuckers in charge when it comes to destruction. Take the lead, we'll follow.

LOL, the LOWFers are out in full force on TOB.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192&f=1118&t=12714892

You're a complete fool if you don't want Marshall. Complete and utter fool.
Other than the NCSU fan talking about what a jerk Marshall is, and Chrispy saying that Marshall doesn't choose his words carefully which might be a reason why some people think he's a jerk....what exactly are you referring to? They seem to be saying the same things there that are being said here.

Another reason Marshall is probably looking to leave Wichita St. : they are playing in their conference tournament right now (up 10 at half). What kind of Podunk conference has their tournament 2 weeks before the NCAAT just to get some TV exposure? Enjoy that 11-14 day break Shockers.

Honestly, Marshall is a shrewd dude and he just dared Wellman to bring it. He easily could have shot that question down by saying "I have no interest in Wake. I am happy at WSU." Instead, he called Wake out for not being good enough and then opened the door to go there if $ was right. Honestly, it makes me wonder if he has been already contacted in some form. By making that kind of public statement, he knows he can't take less than a big pay increase to come to Wake or he looks like a fool. It also puts Wake on notice that they are going to have to play major, big boy ball instead of trying to act like a mid-major. Pretty smart negotiation tool because it also makes Wake look like a shrinking violet, or just stupid, if they aren't willing to make a big play for Marshall.

I read his response as a clear sign that he's been contacted in some way. Maybe not directly, but he knows we are interested and he's telling us quite clearly what the terms need to be to get his attention.

I read his response as a clear sign that he's been contacted in some way. Maybe not directly, but he knows we are interested and he's telling us quite clearly what the terms need to be to get his attention.

I don't know if he's specifically been contacted. It's an easy assumption that he would be. I think his break before the NCAAT will enable contact.

That would royally piss off the faculty at Wake, who are currently fighting the admin over proposed benefits cuts.

They shouldn't get pissed at the university offering top dollar to bring in top talent. They should be pissed if the university is paying top dollar to maintain administrative bloat while stiffing talented faculty.

I'm the sure group handling initial vetting and due diligence has contacted him

Wellman only goes after "Gentleman Jims" who won't stand up to him and will be "classy". No way in hell he approaches Marshall, especially after this. Sad, but reality

That would royally piss off the faculty at Wake, who are currently fighting the admin over proposed benefits cuts.

Faculty are always pissed, and often are surprisingly ignorant about the connection between WF success in revenue sports and their own benefit from that.

I do not have a good feeling about this Marshall feller as a recruiter; not a good feeling at all!

PJ-BN516_SP_WIC_G_20130403163825.jpg

Marshall is NOT coming (and neither is Shaka for that matter). Take off your black and gold glasses and look at it objectively. VCU and Wichita State are both BETTER jobs than Wake right now. Either guy would be taking a step down. Hell, in the last few years, Shaka has been to two Sweet 16s and a Final Four. Wake has been to ONE sweet 16 since Duncan left and one Final Four EVER.
Yes and no. The situations are better because of the coaches..yes. But as someone said, TV exposure for Wichita St is low. Now I'm not sure that matters if he keeps getting recruits and winning but....it might matter. And hypothetically, if Marshall had the same type of success at Wake as at Wichita St....Wake would be considered the better situation. The same thing might be true with Shaka, but the disparity between the two...Shaka at Wake vs at VCU...is not as large.

One thing is certain...those comments in the OP are absolutely telegraphing interest in the Wake job. While slamming Wake's current situation, he's also complaining about playing weak teams, which is all he plays against. He's saying he wants more of a challenge. Wake plays against great teams and the program is bad....so pay me the money and I'll step up to the challenge. Great news. I like the guy, just didn't think he'd leave Wichita.

Back