• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I think this case is more involved that UNC wants anyone to believe. This is not just an easy class that student-athletes clustered in. The Academic Advisers were having very pointed conversations with Debbie Crowder, where it was clear that eligibility for the athlete was in jeopardy. I believe in at least one case, there was a request for a specific grade necessary to maintain eligibility. After Crowder retired, there are e-mails that show that the Academic Advisers begged Nyangoro to create another paper class. I can remember reading an e-mail where the Adviser expressed her gratitude to him and promised to take him to dinner or to send him some tickets to a sporting event to thank him.

I am dubious about Crowder's real reasons for why she did what she did. I think she was a jock sniffer. She was admittedly a huge UNC basketball fan. I seriously doubt that she was motivated to help all of the "dis-advantaged" students at the University and I found it curious that her motivation was the first thing referenced in Wainstein's report. I suspect that the school insisted on that little tid-bit.

There is testimony that some of the athletes were pushed into these classes and into that specific major. Michael McAdoo, and others, believe that they were deprived of their education because the Advisers were telling them which classes they had to take. I can remember one kid saying that he did not understand why he was being forced to take Swahili when he took two years of Spanish in High School.

I understand that some of what I just said is conjecture and that the NCAA will focus in on the "facts." But if anyone believes that the AFAM paper classes were just another easy class that jocks gravitated to, I have water front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. That is a false narrative. . .and it appears that the NCAA intends to fall for it hook line and sinker.

UNC has done some significant things to clean up their act, but I suspect that they are more fearful of what SACS might do than the NCAA. This will never happen. . .but I think the NCAA should shut down the entire Athletic Department for two years so that everyone in the Administration understands that Athletics should not be the tail wagging the dog.

News & Observer reporter tweeted that it is looking like tomorrow will be the day that the NOA is released.

WRAL-TV reporter quoted a UNC official saying it will definitely be this week.

That guy is a total shill. Not saying he is right...not saying he is wrong but I wouldn't consider him a reliable source.

Everything still pointing to today being the day. Consensus among UNC fans is that it will include Loss of Institutional Control. Question now is what the penalties will be.

giphy.gif

So if they get hit with Loss of Institutional Control and nothing else, doesn't that mean that there is effectively no resolution since the potential penalties will be decided later in the process and could be just about anything (or nothing for that matter)? But there would still likely be uncertainty hanging over the football and basketball programs. Is that correct?

Yeah. . .I am not sure why UNC fans are alleging that a claim of LOIC implies that no penalties will befall the football and basketball programs. Those two programs were taking advantage of the lack of control to the same extent or greater than some of the other sports. It seems to me that everything is on the table and that cloud will hang over virtually all of UNC's sports until the punishment is announced.

Amazing how UNC fans have been able to spin Loss of Institutional Control to be perceived as a victory. At least in their minds.

Just remember that Penn State's infraction didn't fall within well recognized "violations" either, yet the NCAA understood the problem and fashioned a fairly devastating set of penalties. Penn State fans, too, were saying the NCAA lacked jurisdiction to punish the school/football program. So technical analyses of NCAA provisions don't necessarily mean too much. Seems most outside observers realize the grand scheme of cheating going on at UNC was among the worst cases in NCAA history. We'll see.

First thing that caught my eye: "impermissable benefits". Beautiful.

Someone cliff note it for me. Is the hammer coming?

Level of Allegation No. 5:The NCAA enforcement staff believes a hearing panel of the NCAA Division ICommittee on Infractions could determine that Allegation No. 5 is a severebreach of conduct (Level I) because the violations seriously undermine or threatenthe integrity of the NCAA Collegiate Model and the presumption of lack ofinstitutional control violations as Level I. [NCAA Bylaws 19.9.1 and 19.1.1-(a)(2014-15)]

Read through it very quickly at lunch. Looks like impermissible benefits, then the women's basketball team gets called out, and allegation 5 is lack of institutional control based on other charges and violations over 18 years. The impermissible benefit is good news to me, since their bullshit argument this whole time was that it was an academic issue. It is not.

Back