• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Posted on the other thread (can we merge?)

"This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these
courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically
at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and
women's basketball. Although the general student body also had access to the
anomalous AFRI/AFAM courses, student-athletes received preferential access to
these anomalous courses, enrolled in these anomalous courses at a
disproportionate rate to that of the general student body and received other
impermissible benefits not available to the general student body in connection
with these courses."

Calling out the Basketball and Football team by names is good...right?

C. Potential Aggravating and Mitigating Factors.

Pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.7.1, the NCAA enforcement staff has identified thefollowing potential aggravating and mitigating factors a hearing panel of the NCAADivision I Committee on Infractions may consider.

1. Institution:

a. Aggravating factors. [NCAA Bylaw 19.9.3]

(1) Multiple Level I violations. [Bylaw 19.9.3-(a)]x The notice of allegations includes multiple Level Iviolations involving unethical conduct, extra benefits and alack of institutional control.

(2) A history of Level I, Level II or major violations by the institution,sport program(s) or involved individual. [Bylaw 19.9.3-(b)] Theyinclude:x March 12, 2012 – Violations of NCAA legislationregarding academic fraud, impermissible benefits,impermissible participation, unethical conduct, failure tomonitor, preferential treatment, failure to cooperate andfailure to report outside income.x January 10, 1961 – Violations of NCAA legislationinvolving improper entertainment and lodging andimproper recruiting entertainment.

(3) Lack of institutional control. [Bylaw 19.9.3-(c)] As described in Allegation No. 5, the institutiondemonstrated a lack of institutional control by providingimpermissible academic extra benefits to student-athletes,exploiting the anomalous courses provided by the Africanand Afro-American Studies (AFRI/AFAM) department andfailing to adequately monitor the activities of Jan Boxill(Boxill), then philosophy instructor, director of the ParrCenter for Ethics, women's basketball athletics academiccounselor in the Academic Support Program for StudentAthletesand chair of the faculty.

(4) Persons of authority condoned, participated in or negligentlydisregarded the violation or related wrongful conduct. [NCAABylaw 19.9.3-(h)]x Boxill abused her position as a faculty member byproviding impermissible academic assistance.

b. Mitigating factor. [Bylaw 19.9.4]

(1) An established history of self-reporting Level III or secondaryviolations. [Bylaw 19.9.4-(d)] They include:x The institution reported approximately 95 LevelIII/secondary self-reports over the last four years.

Should probably temper our excitement. Nothing going on here that we didn't already know, really. UNC will fight this...this will go on for another year I'd expect.

doesn't matter if they 'knew'...according to new ncaa penalties:

"The new structure enhances head coach responsibility/accountability and potential consequences for head coaches who fail to promote compliance within their programs.

“We heard loud and clear from members across Division I that we need clear, consistent and credible accountability,” said Lou Anna Simon, Michigan State president and Executive Committee chair. “These membership-driven changes provide tough, fair consequences that communicate to universities, coaches, student-athletes and others that rule-breaking will not be tolerated.”

Penalties in the previous structure relied on whether the head coach knew of the violations or whether there was a “presumption of knowledge.” But under the new structure, rather than focus on knowledge or the presumption of it, the bylaw was amended to presume responsibility. Accordingly, if a violation occurs, the head coach is presumed responsible, and if he or she can’t overcome that presumption, charges will be forthcoming.

Should probably temper our excitement. Nothing going on here that we didn't already know, really. UNC will fight this...this will go on for another year I'd expect.

True but this is about as good as you could expect from the LOA, right? Does not look like the NCAA went light on them.

doesn't matter if they 'knew'...according to new ncaa penalties:

"The new structure enhances head coach responsibility/accountability and potential consequences for head coaches who fail to promote compliance within their programs.

“We heard loud and clear from members across Division I that we need clear, consistent and credible accountability,” said Lou Anna Simon, Michigan State president and Executive Committee chair. “These membership-driven changes provide tough, fair consequences that communicate to universities, coaches, student-athletes and others that rule-breaking will not be tolerated.”

Penalties in the previous structure relied on whether the head coach knew of the violations or whether there was a “presumption of knowledge.” But under the new structure, rather than focus on knowledge or the presumption of it, the bylaw was amended to presume responsibility. Accordingly, if a violation occurs, the head coach is presumed responsible, and if he or she can’t overcome that presumption, charges will be forthcoming.

according to dennis dodd's twitter: they will be punished under the old structure? no clue why.

based off of UNC's 2015 recruiting class, that might not the best thing for UNC Basketball

according to dennis dodd's twitter: they will be punished under the old structure? no clue why.

Doesn't matter...Roy is done. He will retire rather than coach through restrictions. Although, Roy sticking around and trying to coach through recruiting and post-season restrictions might be the best case scenario for the rest of the ACC. He's always survived on recruiting.

Doesn't matter...Roy is done. He will retire rather than coach through restrictions. Although, Roy sticking around and trying to coach through recruiting and post-season restrictions might be the best case scenario for the rest of the ACC. He's always survived on recruiting.

He has always survived on having better players. Doesn't take much to "recruit" to KU and UNC (without restrictions).

I've seen that tweeted several times. NOA was issued using new structure, but penalties will follow old structure. That's the out. I still, despite this information, think Men's BBall and Football will mostly skate and Women's Bball will get slammed.

Someone cliff note it for me. Is the hammer coming?

85benuV.gif

I've seen that tweeted several times. NOA was issued using new structure, but penalties will follow old structure. That's the out. I still, despite this information, think Men's BBall and Football will mostly skate and Women's Bball will get slammed.

And some of us saw it coming.

you're generally very intelligent, but when it comes to carolina defense you're an idiot.

And some of us saw it coming.

That's not to say those two programs aren't guilty as sin. I have zero doubt that those banners are fraudulent...there just isn't enough evidence to prove it.

But, hey, if that's how all this work? Hell, I'd cheat too. Just don't send e-mails about it.

Back