• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

almost like they are waiting for the basketball season to end or something

Hey man, we don't make the calendar. Get mad at the Romans.

I give Cunningham credit. He figured out a way to finally put an end to this NCAA thing. Firing people? Self-imposed sanctions? $28M in outside investigations? P-shaw.

Get top 10 in basketball and football, and watch the NCAA fold like they did for Auburn (and Ohio State, and Alabama, and Auburn, and Alabama, and Auburn, and Kentucky, and Ohio State, and Alabama...).

the carolina way. just like auburn and ohio state and alabama and kentucky.

Without further penalties it does not matter what success UNC has. For at least the next ten years if UNC celebrates championships the rest of the sports world well say "they cheated." In addition the term, "the Carolina Way", will to infinity be used as the gold standard for mockery. Any additional penalties are just bonus to those of us who understand just how damaged this institution already is.

Without further penalties it does not matter what success UNC has. For at least the next ten years if UNC celebrates championships the rest of the sports world well say "they cheated." Unfortunately, other than among the ABC crowd and mostly those of us in North Carolina, don't think that will be the case. People tend to move on to the next "scandal" pretty quickly these days. In addition the term, "the Carolina Way", will to infinity be used as the gold standard for mockery. Agree 100% on this. In fact ,I doubt the UNC crowd will EVER use that term again, as any time it does come up it will be as you say a form of mockery. Any additional penalties are just bonus to those of us who understand just how damaged this institution already is.

xx

Without further penalties it does not matter what success UNC has. For at least the next ten years if UNC celebrates championships the rest of the sports world well say "they cheated." In addition the term, "the Carolina Way", will to infinity be used as the gold standard for mockery. Any additional penalties are just bonus to those of us who understand just how damaged this institution already is.

Some of Carolina's student-athletes aren't great students? Agreed.

Good thing we've confined that phenomenon to a single campus.

the carolina way. just like auburn and ohio state and alabama and kentucky.

Well, not "just like". Carolina is better than Auburn, ohio state and Kentucky this year. Not sure about Alabama, but if we can beat Clemson I like our chances of hanging around.

Well, not "just like". Carolina is better than Auburn, ohio state and Kentucky this year. Not sure about Alabama, but if we can beat Clemson I like our chances of hanging around.

lololol

Strong reply. Each team played a weak schedule and got lucky with conference scheduling. Carolina has 5 wins over bowl teams; Ohio State has 6.

As much as I hate them, OSU is the better team. They just won at #10 Michigan by 4 TDs. Carolina's best opponent all year was ranked #23. Ohio State's loss is far less embarrassing, too.

Did WFMY discover this email through their own investigation or was it released to them by the university?

Did WFMY discover this email through their own investigation or was it released to them by the university?

This document is one page of millions of records the school plans on releasing from the investigation. An attorney has to comb through each page first to make sure student’s private information isn’t released. So the school is making pages public in groups. UNC released the latest group of 200,000 pages right before Christmas break. 2 Wants To Know has been reviewing them since.

BTW WRAL hosts a searchable repository of all of the docs (over 400k) that have been released thus far - newest emails added on 12/22: http://www.wral.com/search-thousands-of-unc-scandal-records/15030171/

I can't go through all of this thread, and it's been a while since there has been action on it. But I am perplexed that I hear no national talk of UNC's bb team without any talk of sanctions or potential probation. I heard a lot more about this stuff when Demaryius Thomas accepted a suit and GT was place on four years probation for that than I hear about Carolina. Does anyone have a succinct update? Is anything going to happen to the Holes? Why does no one care beyond us? Or do they, and it's behind the scenes?

I can't go through all of this thread, and it's been a while since there has been action on it. But I am perplexed that I hear no national talk of UNC's bb team without any talk of sanctions or potential probation. I heard a lot more about this stuff when Demaryius Thomas accepted a suit and GT was place on four years probation for that than I hear about Carolina. Does anyone have a succinct update? Is anything going to happen to the Holes? Why does no one care beyond us? Or do they, and it's behind the scenes?

Nothing is going to happen.

Ole Miss is immediately sent to the gallows and the Holes walk. If I am ole miss and the sec, I'd just sue the ncaa and tell them to go to hell.

Here is a recap/update. Not succinct though.

What we know:
UNC was notified of 5 Level 1 infractions (the most serious violations), including loss of institutional control. Their response was due in mid-August, however on the eve of the deadline UNC announced that they needed more time because they had uncovered MORE violations. At the time, they said that they hoped to complete an investigation of the additional violations by mid-October 2015.

Since then everything has basically gone dark. The ball appears to be in UNC’s court to submit their response, which they have committed to make public. There are 3 theories about what is going on. None of the theories would involve reduced penalties for UNC.

Theory #1 – UNC is simply using delaying tactics. UNC could argue that they need an extended period to investigate the additional violations and amend their response to the NOA. This theory seems unlikely given the amount of time that has now passed. At this point they would be risking antagonizing the NCAA for failure to respond in a timely manner.

Theory #2 – UNC is waiting on an amended Notice of Allegations. This has actually been mentioned by UNC’s AD, but also seems unlikely. Note that the NCAA would only be amending to the NOA if there were ADDITIONAL Level 1 or Level 2 violations to ADD to the NOA. UNCs initial response in August was that the additional violations were minor. If that is the case, then there would be no need to amend the NOA. The NCAA would not be removing any allegations, because they are still waiting for UNCs response.

Theory #3 – The most likely explanation would be that the NCAA and UNC are pursing Summary Disposition, which appears to be the NCAA-equivalent of pleading “no contest”. This makes sense from the standpoint that it would spare UNC from anymore public embarrassments or disclosure of information, including having to issue a public response to the NOA. However it would also require UNC to agree to all of the violations in the NOA, and agree that they all rose to Level 1. It would also require agreement on penalties, and the NCAA would seem to have all the leverage in those negotiations. If UNC basically accepts guilt for five Level 1 offenses, it seems highly unlikely that they would get away with just monetary fines.

If UNC doesn’t pursue Summary Disposition, expect a six-month process from the time they file their response to the NOA to when penalties are announced.

Back