• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Duncan top 5 player of all time?

But does Flip Saunders look like the airline pilot you swear you saw having a drink in the bar before the flight?

Another nice Duncan article. He has until Tuesday to exercise his player option.
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-best-player-since-jordan-3da47f9ca3e1

In the modern NBA, only three players have won a championship as the lone star on their team: Dream, Duncan, and Dirk. That’s the list. (Yay, Texas!) When the Spurs won their first title with Duncan, Robinson was still a very good player, but the three top contributors after them were 33-year-old Avery Johnson, 35-year-old Mario Elie, and 30-year-old Sean Elliot. Steve Kerr, for Pete’s sake, was playing significant minutes. When the Spurs won in 2003, Manu was a reserve wing (playing behind Stephen Jackson), and Parker was getting benched in late game situations for Speedy Claxton. Robinson was 37, two years removed from his last All-Star season. In retrospect, it was Duncan’s steady presence that extended Robinson’s career, and allowed Parker and Ginobili to grow into their roles, while sthe team stillcompeted for championships.

And that’s the other thing about the A.D. (after Duncan) Spurs. They always competed for championships because they always made the playoffs. This is not an exaggeration. The Spurs drafted “Death & Taxes” in 1997 and have not missed the playoffs, since. Can you say that about Kobe? No. Can you say that about LeBron? No. Shaq? No. Hakeem? Jordan? No. No.

Another nice Duncan article. He has until Tuesday to exercise his player option.
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-best-player-since-jordan-3da47f9ca3e1

In the modern NBA, only three players have won a championship as the lone star on their team: Dream, Duncan, and Dirk. That’s the list. (Yay, Texas!) When the Spurs won their first title with Duncan, Robinson was still a very good player, but the three top contributors after them were 33-year-old Avery Johnson, 35-year-old Mario Elie, and 30-year-old Sean Elliot. Steve Kerr, for Pete’s sake, was playing significant minutes. When the Spurs won in 2003, Manu was a reserve wing (playing behind Stephen Jackson), and Parker was getting benched in late game situations for Speedy Claxton. Robinson was 37, two years removed from his last All-Star season. In retrospect, it was Duncan’s steady presence that extended Robinson’s career, and allowed Parker and Ginobili to grow into their roles, while sthe team stillcompeted for championships.

And that’s the other thing about the A.D. (after Duncan) Spurs. They always competed for championships because they always made the playoffs. This is not an exaggeration. The Spurs drafted “Death & Taxes” in 1997 and have not missed the playoffs, since. Can you say that about Kobe? No. Can you say that about LeBron? No. Shaq? No. Hakeem? Jordan? No. No.

You could argue that Chandler was a star on that 2011 Mavs team given the defense he played. His PER that year was below 20, but he actually had a higher WS/48 than Dirk did for the season. (.218 vs. .213)

I think the article defines "star" as in a player who will go down as one of the all-time greats in his prime or near prime. Players like Isiah and Joe D, Jordan and Pippen, Kobe and Shaq, Wade and Shaq, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

You could argue that Chandler was a star on that 2011 Mavs team given the defense he played. His PER that year was below 20, but he actually had a higher WS/48 than Dirk did for the season. (.218 vs. .213)

Plus I'm not sure when the Modern NBA cutoff is for that article but you could make an argument for Walton's Blazers as a 1 star championship team.

I think the article defines "star" as in a player who will go down as one of the all-time greats in his prime or near prime. Players like Isiah and Joe D, Jordan and Pippen, Kobe and Shaq, Wade and Shaq, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

That's what I figured. Pau seems iffy if that's the standard though.

If you have a PER in the 20's you are generally considered a star for that season. More or less. Hakeem, Dirk, Duncan, (and Walton) would be the only qualifiers under that scenario. But given PER's offensive bias you could make the argument Chandler was a star in 2011.

Cool stat nonetheless though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's talking about post-Magic/Bird era or what I guess we could now call the Jordan era and Duncan era.

That's what I figured. Pau seems iffy if that's the standard though.

If you have a PER in the 20's you are generally considered a star for that season. More or less. Hakeem, Dirk, Duncan, (and Walton) would be the only qualifiers under that scenario. But given PER's offensive bias you could make the argument Chandler was a star in 2011.

Cool stat nonetheless though.

I hear you about Pau. He's probably right above that borderline.

Pau Gasol is a Hall-of-Famer who was playing arguably the best basketball of his career in '09 and '10, made the All-Star Game both years, was All-NBA both years, and averaged 18.3/10.8/2.5/2.0 and 19.6/11.1/3.5/2.1 in their championship runs. Tyson Chandler was did not make the '11 All-Star Game, was not All-NBA, and averaged 8.0/9.2/0.4/0.9 in their playoff run. Without bothering to look up earlier years, I'm guessing they went with a brightline All-Star/All-NBA test for stardom.

Back