• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it worth having kids?

Studies consistently show that it currently will cost $250k to raise a kid to age 18 (with conservative estimates on things like food budgets, education, etc). Obviously, that number will only go up.

Also, O/U on this thread would be 20 pages if it weren't Christmas dead-time on the boards.

Couples with children and couples without children feel sorry for each other.

Yikes...I am 35 and still no kids. Thinking about trying but after reading this thread I am thinking maybe its too late.

Will yall talk to my wife?

Our second child was born when I was 40. I don't recommend it unless you stay in pretty good shape.

No kids here and no plans for them either. If my parents get grandchildren it will have to be my brother or sister that provides them.

RDToy and I will just be the cool aunt and uncle.

ill probs have kids just on the backside of 30 if i can. i live in a tiny house now, and ill probably want to do some grad school beforehand.

Of all the people with kids that I know, not one says that they regret having a kid.

I am not married either and have actually debated whether or not to have a kid in the future even if I am not married. I know it may sound crazy to some people, but once I started thinking about it (probably a year ago) the more I realize how much I want to have a kid in the future even if I do it as a single parent. I don't mean next year or anything, but down the road (maybe 5-10 years), and I would like to be prepared when that time comes (financially especially - not rich, just in a good position).

Fuck that. My wife and I are entirely too selfish to want to deal with children. I mean, we fostered a puppy for a week and after night three of that little bitch wanting to go out at 2 am, I was ready to punt her into the pond behind my house. It's just not in the cards for us.

Now watch her birth control fail and us end up with one anyway.

Fuck that. My wife and I are entirely too selfish to want to deal with children. I mean, we fostered a puppy for a week and after night three of that little bitch wanting to go out at 2 am, I was ready to punt her into the pond behind my house. It's just not in the cards for us.

Knock on things! KARMA!

No kids here and no plans for them either. If my parents get grandchildren it will have to be my brother or sister that provides them.

RDToy and I will just be the cool aunt and uncle.

I don't understand this line of thinking - nothing against you guys, I think everyone should have a choice in the matter, and if you don't want them, you don't have to have them.

But what happens in 30 years? I am going to be a terrible old man, and when I am 60 at least I will be able to live vicariously through me kids and have something to work for. You can buy as many toys and take as many trips as you want to in life, but seriously, you look at this little thing that somewhat looks like you and somewhat looks like your wife and you will do anything in the world for it. Can't buy it.

I don't understand this line of thinking - nothing against you guys, I think everyone should have a choice in the matter, and if you don't want them, you don't have to have them.

But what happens in 30 years? I am going to be a terrible old man, and when I am 60 at least I will be able to live vicariously through me kids and have something to work for. You can buy as many toys and take as many trips as you want to in life, but seriously, you look at this little thing that somewhat looks like you and somewhat looks like your wife and you will do anything in the world for it. Can't buy it.

First, I will trade what "might" happen in 30 years for what I want to do now. Who's to say in 30 years they're even still talking to you anyway.

Second, I could care less if there is another "me" that continues on in the world, as I don't think it really effects anything.

Third, I don't really like kids, especially babies. They creep me out.

Finally, I have dogs and that suffices for us.

Well it's certainly not economically worth it. I didn't used to want to have kids but the older I've gotten the more I've taken the stance of "I don't want anyone else's kids but if I had my own that'd be cool" (which is fine because I'm not trying to go all JonBenet Ramsey).

so did the epiphany come with the maturation between the ages of 18 and 20?

If I had kids right now (well 9 months from now), my dad would be 70 when my kids were 6 as well DaDeac, so I mean...there's that haha

so did the epiphany come with the maturation between the ages of 18 and 20?

I don't know. When I got to Wake I didn't want kids, now one semester away from being done with Wake I think it'd be cool to have kids in the future.

Back