• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

I mean I hear alot of decrying the destruction of hospitals and ambulences, but do we know if Hamas is actually hiding in Hospitals and Ambulences? Cause if I were hamas that would seem kinda smart.
Given the nature of the Israeli attacks, it is very likely there are members of Hamas in the hospitals. Even if their entire leadership were in one, it still wouldn't justify the attacks.

I'm also pretty sure that it is a war crime to house military operations in a hospital, but no one seems to care any more.

I think the letter is real, but also think the people that signed it are no better than the alien cum covid doctor.

I think these discussions of navigating skepticism online are worthwhile, and aren’t contentious. I was asking why Kory was skeptical of the letter, but seemingly not the video response to the letter.
because it's more difficult to generate a fake video of a group of doctors speaking than a one page letter

Nobody knows what “uses civilians as human shields” means and I’ve really only seen these claims as general.

If we count national guard installations, for example, is that “the army hiding among a civilian population?”

How about recruiting offices? service academies? military bases? arms storage?

If you, a civilian, work in a building with an administrative office connected to a branch of the military or military contractor, then do you deserve to die for that proximity?

Nobody knows what “uses civilians as human shields” means and I’ve really only seen these claims as general.

If we count national guard installations, for example, is that “the army hiding among a civilian population?”

How about recruiting offices? service academies? military bases? arms storage?

If you, a civilian, work in a building with an administrative office connected to a branch of the military or military contractor, then do you deserve to die for that proximity?
"Human shields" is one of those concepts that only makes sense if you don't think about it.

Are the UN aid workers “human shields”? Because they’re getting killed by the dozens

Probably explaining what everyone already knows - Hamas operating (firing rockets) within civilian areas and reportedly “hiding” their tunnels beneath civilian infrastructure is what’s being referred to as them “using human shields” - the implication that this placement near civilians is intended to discourage Israel from firing upon these areas to avoid civilian casualties. With that understanding, UN Aid Workers and any other non Hamas member in the vicinity would be considered a human shield.

This goes back to my repeated point - Hamas is an illegal terrorist organization operating in one of the most heavily monitored, densely populated areas on the entire planet. The very existence of a militarized guerilla Hamas requires operating in civilian areas. It’s not like they can build a base out in the open. The “Human shields” rhetoric is simply restating an obvious fact about guerilla warfare in a way that makes it sound sinister. Guerilla forces don’t operate in the open.

If the US or Israeli military were in constant danger of being bombed or drone striked they wouldn’t operate in the open either.

I think the bombing the hospital and human shield disconnect is that if you are an IDF soldier your life in service to the military is different than the life of an innocent civilian which includes those in Gaza. So sure you can protect your life by bombing the hell out of Gaza (which objectively will not eliminate Hamas) or you put your life on the line and you ground assault the hospital and other places that are considered bombing targets. In this way there is a lot less collateral but the risk to yourself is exponentially higher.

I think the bombing the hospital and human shield disconnect is that if you are an IDF soldier your life in service to the military is different than the life of an innocent civilian which includes those in Gaza. So sure you can protect your life by bombing the hell out of Gaza (which objectively will not eliminate Hamas) or you put your life on the line and you ground assault the hospital and other places that are considered bombing targets. In this way there is a lot less collateral but the risk to yourself is exponentially higher.

yep

I think it’s deceitful of the west to discuss Palestine and Gaza as if they demilitarized. Militarization is one of the hinge points that helped elect Hamas. These 2 million people have not agreed to demilitarize, and why should they?

Would Americans agree to demilitarize? Never. If the world tried to force America to demilitarize, what would we do? Probably start WW3 and operate underground if necessary.

Last edited:
You’re also coming at it from the perspective like they didn’t lose a “war”, demilitarization after losing is a pretty common requirement.

You’re also coming at it from the perspective like they didn’t lose a “war”, demilitarization after losing is a pretty common requirement.
That’s an insane expectation that a nation of people is going to permanently demilitarize, and there is no past agreement that Palestine would do so - this would be contrary to Palestine having the right to defend itself as a sovereign state.

Last edited:
israeli settlements are human shields

anyway, the concept of war being fought by two professional armies in some farm fields outside of living centers has been western fantasy concept since...forever
okay general westmoreland

I don’t agree with everything, but I think it’s a very good summary of how Hamas came to power in Gaza.

“…As it turned out, Hamas never ended up steering the Palestinian democratic experiment. Western powers temporarily turned off the tap of aid to the Palestinian Authority; Israel clamped down on the Gaza Strip and detained dozens of Hamas officials, including elected legislators. The schism between Abbas and Fatah in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza exploded in a bloody set of battles that saw Hamas violently wrest full control of the Gaza Strip in 2007, allegedly after the Bush administration tried to foment an anti-Hamas putsch in the territory.
What followed is the tragic course of the past decade, with the Palestinian national movement drifting into crisis, Israel placing siege conditions on the whole Gaza Strip, and periodic eruptions of deadly violence from Hamas and other armed factions in the territory reminding the world of the perennial threat they pose and the disproportionate price paid by Gaza’s civilian population…”

Back