• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

Wasn’t Columbia the school that was featured for having their masters students coming out with an average of like $150,000 in debt.
That's master's students, probably in programs specifically designed to bilk students.

I’m just saying it’s not like Columbia has a good track record here to say it’s more likely that the student is being paid and has no debt.

I’m just saying it’s not like Columbia has a good track record here to say it’s more likely that the student is being paid and has no debt.
It's not about Columbia. That's the difference between an unfunded master's program and a PhD program. Those types of MA programs are money makers through tuition for the university whereas PhD students provide their labor. They may have some debt, but it's probably not from paying 5+ years of tuition out of pocket.

No Sabra because partly owned by an Israeli company? Or is there something else about the company?
From BDS boycott list:

Sabra​

Sabra hummus is a joint venture between PepsiCo and the Strauss Group, an Israeli food company that provides financial support to the Israeli army.

As a genuine question, has there ever been widespread college student protests that went on to be on the wrong side of history? All the ones that I can think of were thought of as the obviously correct side after enough time had passed.

I couldn't make up a stupider academic pursuit than what she's working on. Either her parents are rich and indulgent beyond belief or she's got student loans out the wazoo that she'll be campaigning to have forgiven next month.

Spending half a million dollars getting a PhD degree in romanticizing the world’s worst economic system seems worthy of criticism.

Why are you being so dumb lately?

That's not to say that her research is not also dumb, but I don't think you're qualified to say so

She's probably not paying. In fact, she's probably getting paid.

Yes, just to confirm what phdeac says, nobody at a legit phd program in English is paying anything to be there. They are paid a stipend, but one which at most schools is hardly sufficient to live

Wasn’t Columbia the school that was featured for having their masters students coming out with an average of like $150,000 in debt.

Yes, Columbia is infamous for their "cash cow" terminal master's programs. Columbia English is very unusual in that it has a "free standing" MA and an MA en route to the PhD, basically advertising that fact. UChicago is the other program known for this

But I suspect based on that detailed research description that she's in the PhD program. I just went through all the profiles and can't figure out who she is. Ok just googled and appears they have already deleted her profile, which is wild and unusual efficiency.

It's not about Columbia. That's the difference between an unfunded master's program and a PhD program. Those types of MA programs are money makers through tuition for the university whereas PhD students provide their labor. They may have some debt, but it's probably not from paying 5+ years of tuition out of pocket.

Yes

As a genuine question, has there ever been widespread college student protests that went on to be on the wrong side of history? All the ones that I can think of were thought of as the obviously correct side after enough time had passed.

Have we ever had widespread liberal support for the belief system held by Sunni Muslims ? Apparently there’s a first time for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the math: she's finishing her fifth year as a PhD student, so probably in the middle of writing a dissertation. No idea if that includes time to a master's or not

But she's also been really involved in campus labor movements and protests the last three years and does a lot of non-academic writing, so unless she's remarkably good at multitasking, she's probably got a lot of writing left to do. Columbia will let you stick around longer than a lot of other places

Have we ever had widespread liberal support for the belief system held by Sunni Muslims ? Apparently there’s a first time for everything.

I think I see what the problem is here. You guys think the protesters are supporting extremist Sunni Islam, or Hamas, or the terrorists, or something like that, but they are not. The protesters are protesting against genocide and the Israeli army’s gross indiscriminate killing of 10000s of Palestinians and destruction of the the entirety of Gaza. So now that that’s cleared up and you understand their purpose, you’ll change your stance on the protesters?

have you considered that maybe the protesters are concerned with the problem of people dying, regardless of their religion?

Sure, and they’re using the term genocide to get all riled up. And I’ll wager with any of them that there will be more Palestinians living in Gaza in 10 years than there are now.

Outside of the story with Jose Andres food workers there hasn’t been many news stories of actual deaths in Gaza for a few months now, the pace of actual deaths has gone way down. It was over 30,000 more than 2 months ago, now it’s 34,000? Contrast that with around a million deaths in the Ukraine/Russia fight, I’m sorry that that fight matters a whole lot more to me but it does. And we know what happens to that fight if leftists usher in Donald Trump.

Last edited:
Sure, and they’re using the term genocide to get all riled up. And I’ll wager with any of them that there will be more Palestinians living in Gaza in 10 years than there are now.

It's only "genocide" if it's harvested from the geno region. Otherwise, it's sparkling ethnic cleansing.

From BDS boycott list:

Sabra​

Sabra hummus is a joint venture between PepsiCo and the Strauss Group, an Israeli food company that provides financial support to the Israeli army.

So…support for the Israeli army in a way different from a US company supporting the US army by paying taxes? Or in a way above and beyond ordinary Israeli companies? Do they overtly support hard-line right wing Israel politics or politicians?

Just curious. Thanks for engaging.

Back