• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

I get a higher return on my savings account

seems like divesting in Israel could be a win-win here, Harvard

also in the tweet... per the contract with their investor, they can't see what they are invested in. You have a 50 billion endowment, no idea how they are investing, and get a return of 2.9%? I think the universities are less concerned about who they are investing in rather than having their endowment publicly scrutinized. My guess is that there is a lot of fees/kickbacks that they don't want made public.

also in the tweet... per the contract with their investor, they can't see what they are invested in. You have a 50 billion endowment, no idea how they are investing, and get a return of 2.9%? I think the universities are less concerned about who they are investing in rather than having their endowment publicly scrutinized. My guess is that there is a lot of fees/kickbacks that they don't want made public.

there's always money in the banana stand

nah, can’t imagine there are any side deals associated with Ivy League 25 billion dollar endowment management.

Tired and honestly pathetic to see someone type it trope. That's just a sad to watch attempt at trying to put down people who join a fraternity or sorority. I've never once put down someone who didn't.

My annual dues I think were $300 to help cover expenses incurred by my fraternity. Ever been in a club or any organization because you have similar interests? Probs had dues. That must be a definite no.

This past weekend I went on a trip with several of my Sigma Chi fraternity brothers from 1986 grad year and older - as we do several times a year still. I have many close friends that are far closer geographically and that I see far more often, but I feel closest still to those fraternity brothers and to this day feel that we know each other better and we are more comfortable with each other than any other friends we have. I need to amortize that $300 I think and see what cost I come up with....

Tired and honestly pathetic to see someone type it trope. That's just a sad to watch attempt at trying to put down people who join a fraternity or sorority. I've never once put down someone who didn't.

My annual dues I think were $300 to help cover expenses incurred by my fraternity. Ever been in a club or any organization because you have similar interests? Probs had dues. That must be a definite no.

This past weekend I went on a trip with several of my Sigma Chi fraternity brothers from 1986 grad year and older - as we do several times a year still. I have many close friends that are far closer geographically and that I see far more often, but I feel closest still to those fraternity brothers and to this day feel that we know each other better and we are more comfortable with each other than any other friends we have. I need to amortize that $300 I think and see what cost I come up with....
my advice is to just let the insult go

you're only giving oxygen to the fire here

shocking that the go-to joke about frats is still that affecting after almost 40 years

90337a4429583a390d36bd98ba016855.gif

I mean there is nothing wrong with buying into a social club.

I would encourage my kids to do it.

Doesn't change what it is though.

i can only think of one jewish person that I know that is also a zionist

i know the birthright trip has been an important feature in promoting zionism -- i wonder what that kind of thing will look like going forward

i don't really know what zionism is

i thought it was just "israel should exist as a state for jews" but is it some sort of ultranationalist/expanionist idea?

i don't really know what zionism is

i thought it was just "israel should exist as a state for jews" but is it some sort of ultranationalist/expanionist idea?
it is

check out Theodor Herzl

ETA: You could charitably describe it as an ethnonationalist version of Manifest Destiny. What's also notable is that Zionism predates the Holocaust and a lot of the anti-Semitic brutality in eastern Europe and western Russia. When Zionism was coalescing as an ethnonationalist ideology, there were alternative models of co-existence between Jews and Palestinians in British-occupied Palestine.

Back