• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

Netanyahu and his government have shut down the Al Jazeera TV network in Israel and raided their offices. They claim that Al Jazeera is a mouthpiece for Hamas, which the network disputes, as have international groups like the Foreign Press Association and the United Nations Human Rights Office. Many people seem to have forgotten that before all this started in Gaza Netanyahu was well on his way towards becoming a virtual dictator in Israel. He had effectively taken control of Israel's Supreme Court and judicial branch, which in their system of government was pretty much the only check on Netanyahu's power. The longer this war (really just a one-sided massacre of Gaza civilians) goes, the more unlimited power Netanyahu acquires.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/al-jazeera-office-raided-israel-154436359.html

From the UN today. Not sure how anyone can expect to "defeat" Hamas under these circumstances. https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-rele...men-and-children-gaza-unacceptable-un-experts

"We are horrified at details emerging from mass graves recently unearthed in the Gaza Strip. Over 390 bodies have been discovered at Nasser and Al Shifa hospitals, including of women and children, with many reportedly showing signs of torture and summary executions, and potential instances of people buried alive," the experts said.

They noted that women, girls and children overall are among those most exposed to danger in this conflict, and that as of 29 April 2024, of 34,488 Palestinians killed in Gaza, 14,500 have been children and 9,500 women. Another 77,643 have reportedly been injured, of which 75% are estimated to be female. Over 8,000 others are reported missing or under the rubble – and the experts noted that at least half of them can be assumed to be women and children. They also noted that an estimated 63 women, including 37 mothers are being killed daily and 17,000 Palestinian children are believed to have been orphaned since the war on Gaza began.

They noted that women, girls and children overall are among those most exposed to danger in this conflict, and that as of 29 April 2024, of 34,488 Palestinians killed in Gaza, 14,500 have been children and 9,500 women. Another 77,643 have reportedly been injured, of which 75% are estimated to be female. Over 8,000 others are reported missing or under the rubble – and the experts noted that at least half of them can be assumed to be women and children. They also noted that an estimated 63 women, including 37 mothers are being killed daily and 17,000 Palestinian children are believed to have been orphaned since the war on Gaza began.
Look man, there's just no other way for Israel to defeat Hamas than to blindly murder as many women and children as they can! If you don't support Israel doing that, then you are part of the problem!

*Obvious and depressing sarcasm

The only way this can end is if Hamas is "defeated" and then, at some indefinite point in the future, some Israelis are prosecuted for war crimes.

genuine question: what votes does Biden lose if he stops funding Israel for the time being?

is the purely political calculation that those votes are a bigger number than the votes that won't vote for him because he continuing?

genuine question: what votes does Biden lose if he stops funding Israel for the time being?

is the purely political calculation that those votes are a bigger number than the votes that won't vote for him because he continuing?
I have assumed he cares more about money/donations than direct votes

It would be monumentally stupid for the largest superpower in the world to all the sudden have questioned whether they're a trustworthy ally. It sucks, but ya gotta back Isreal's efforts in removing Hamas.

I have assumed he cares more about money/donations than direct votes
i think that's correct

but i'm curious what the vote tradeoff numbers might be, probably a pretty difficult thing to answer

i'm also curious what the estimated donation dollar impact would be

It would be monumentally stupid for the largest superpower in the world to all the sudden have questioned whether they're a trustworthy ally. It sucks, but ya gotta back Isreal's efforts in removing Hamas.
every piece of evidence that comes out about Israel's atrocities makes this less and less the case, even from the most cold-hearted real politik standpoint, imo

I think the dollar impact would be offset by getting more young voters out there working for the campaign.

I think the dollar impact would be offset by getting more young voters out there working for the campaign.
i don't think this is true, personally -- but that's only based on instinct

i think the young voters can be moved from "i will not vote for biden" to "i will hold my nose and vote for biden" but I don't think the cohort of young people that are waiting for Biden to stop funding Israeli efforts to begin their campaign involvement is a very large one

every piece of evidence that comes out about Israel's atrocities makes this less and less the case, even from the most cold-hearted real politik standpoint, imo
Yeah, I don't disagree that we can't back away from Isreal in the near future, but doing it on 10/9, days after like MDMH or Strick were advocating would have been terrible.

i don't think this is true, personally -- but that's only based on instinct

i think the young voters can be moved from "i will not vote for biden" to "i will hold my nose and vote for biden" but I don't think the cohort of young people that are waiting for Biden to stop funding Israeli efforts to begin their campaign involvement is a very large one
agree with this. The damage is done and will not be undone (and tbh young voter support/approval of Biden was already pretty bad well before he went and fucked this situation up, so that probably plays into his calculations too)

Back