• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

it is all falling into place

Damn. Make it happen, Craig.

He doesn't get fellated on here nearly as often as Rusty or Chill, but Craig is easily one of the best basketball alumni out there. A great representative of the university and really developing into a hell of a coach.

It would be nice to have Craig back.

Didn't Illinois offer Shaka $3 mil 2 years ago? Why would the number be $2.5 now? Even if he otherwise wants the job, he isn't going to take significantly less than his market value.

It was right at $2M. There's been inflation in the market. We will have to give Shaka $3M/year and probably a job for his wife.

Shaka did not want to go to Illinois. I would not either. Come to Tobacco Road and become Wake's Dean, Wake's K (and without the rat face)

Illinois ran a terrible search and the AD basically said he wanted to pursue shaka without ever actually talking to shaka or his reps. Illinois also fired Bruce weber after he did fairly well. Ucla fired Howland who was largely successful.

I think wake is unique in that, with the exception of Dino, we have given our coaches a lot of rope.

Also I think that part of the quick trigger on James Johnson was that v tech has buzz lined up before. It was too fast.

To clarify. Illinois ran a terrible search in that their AD ran his mouth early and didn't handle it with tact. But then he hired a good coach.

Frankly why bother spending 400k let alone 40mm on the Joel if you aren't going to spend the incremental 1mm on a coach. It's like paying for an F1 car and hiring a stuntman from Fast and Furious to drive it rather than Michael Schumacher.

lol Wellman would hire Schumacher.... "he has been very successful and I have a gut feeling he will be able to keep it up"

As stated above, Shaka would want what he is worth. When Rick Barnes got a call from NC State about their job, he asked them what the top 10 coaches were making. The NC State guy said that he did not know. Barnes told him that he should look that up and then get back to him.

Come on, Wellman. The stars are lined up. The nutpunch is behind us. (Culture.).

Make the Smart Choice today! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Making the next hire may be where Wellman's reputation helps. Sticking by guys he hires, giving them as much time to be successful - Caldwell, Grobe, Bz. Saying good things about them on the way out - Grobe, Bz. Generally having a reputation as a "good boss" among his peer group - other athletic directors.

His ego may also play a role. Some whippersnapper at a football school just up the road hired a good BB coach. He may just want to make sure he makes a better hire for his BB program. And he has the ego strokes he got from the Wake FB hire still fresh on his mind. That felt good! Now do it again!

Time to pay up Wellman! You have abused the fan base for too many years. Hire the best talent available. Just always remember: "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten"

That is absurd if he got a buyout. That fucker should be paying money back. I guaranty there is a Petrino clause in his contract where he doesn't get paid if he does something to embarrass the University or damage its image. [Redacted] did more to embarrass Wake and damage its image than any person in its history.

Ron sure did not seem to be embarrassed by him with the way he tickled his bisalls during that press conference. He sure took care of the step kids while walking bz to the door. It was a heck of a way to send him out considering it looked like the choice was made for him.

I hate to say it, but what I think is going to happen is we're going to hire somebody who is mid-tier and all the BuzzIn folks will blame the BuzzOut folks and the quad rolling as the reason why we couldn't pull Shaka. And that will be fucking hilarious in a sad, sad way.

But we roll the Quad if we get Shaka, right?

Back