• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

it is all falling into place

sepehuhu.jpg

Damn. Make it happen, Craig.

He doesn't get fellated on here nearly as often as Rusty or Chill, but Craig is easily one of the best basketball alumni out there. A great representative of the university and really developing into a hell of a coach.

I hate to say it, but what I think is going to happen is we're going to hire somebody who is mid-tier and all the BuzzIn folks will blame the BuzzOut folks and the quad rolling as the reason why we couldn't pull Shaka. And that will be fucking hilarious in a sad, sad way.

I think you're right, ELC.

I hate to say it, but what I think is going to happen is we're going to hire somebody who is mid-tier and all the BuzzIn folks will blame the BuzzOut folks and the quad rolling as the reason why we couldn't pull Shaka. And that will be fucking hilarious in a sad, sad way.

I think you're right, ELC.

What sucks is that if and when we do make a good hire (and I think it's going to be a good one), it'll be spun as Ron turning shit into gold, and not simply somebody actually being enamored with this job as an unequivocally good job and our AD doing their job insofar as selling our program and hiring the best possible candidate.

Our biggest barrier to sustained success may actually lie in our fanbase rather than any sort of external factors. Our worst enemy in this case is really ourselves.

Just think of it, the Wake administration has millions of dollars at its disposal to make a good basketball hire at a moment when coaching basketball in the ACC is unusually enticing for any coach with ambitions; we have the best hoops head coaching job in all of Division I available this year; and we have our own large arena, which we are now going to customize during the next couple of years. If the people responsible for this hire bungle it, they should be dismissed immediately by the Board of Trustees and sued for gross incompetence and mismanagement of the university's resources.

Looks like Dawson is hearing the same number I heard....2.5. Doable in my opinion.

If the number really is 2.5 we have no excuse not to go after him. I don't think anyone with half a brain can argue that we wouldn't be able to make up the difference between bzd at 1.4mm and shaka at 2.5mm via extra donations, ticket sales etc

Frankly why bother spending 400k let alone 40mm on the Joel if you aren't going to spend the incremental 1mm on a coach. It's like paying for an F1 car and hiring a stuntman from Fast and Furious to drive it rather than Michael Schumacher.

Shaka would energize the bball alumni like no one else could. Keep up the head CD. Get everyone else fired up and on the job.

I really can't see Smart coming to Wake. He had no interest in Illinois or State. What am I missing?

Besides, anything I want really bad never happens.

Completely different school.

I've been told his wife has a friend in faculty here too.

It sounds melodramatic and/or hyperbolic, but I don't care. The future of Wake Forest athletics for the next decade, or possibly two, is going to be determined in the next two weeks. We all know that if we continue further down this errant trajectory, while everyone else in conference, including 2-win VT, gets better...we may never recover.

I know in hoops it only takes one hire to turn a program around, but at what point do our glory years just get smaller and smaller in our rear-view mirror and our program is just not attractive to the big names? The bball landscape is littered with once-proud programs that fell off and have never recovered.

Membership in the ACC is our only saving grace for now. But Shaka Smart would secure our position and change our fortunes in unfathomable ways. That is worth nearly any sum of money.

What sucks is that if and when we do make a good hire (and I think it's going to be a good one), it'll be spun as Ron turning shit into gold, and not simply somebody actually being enamored with this job as an unequivocally good job and our AD doing their job insofar as selling our program and hiring the best possible candidate.

Our biggest barrier to sustained success may actually lie in our fanbase rather than any sort of external factors. Our worst enemy in this case is really ourselves.
How is the fanbase keeping us from being successful?

Damn. Make it happen, Craig.

He doesn't get fellated on here nearly as often as Rusty or Chill, but Craig is easily one of the best basketball alumni out there. A great representative of the university and really developing into a hell of a coach.

one of my favorites outside of the retired jersey crowd. The fact that he coached my team to a championship in the fierce battles of the 1999 Dave Odom Basketball Camp clouds my judgement no doubt.....

one of my favorites outside of the retired jersey crowd. The fact that he coached my team to a championship in the fierce battles of the 1999 Dave Odom Basketball Camp clouds my judgement no doubt.....

I think I was at camp that year. May have been 1998. The power went out in a good chunk of campus. That is most of what I remember.

This fanbase as a DETRIMENT to big name hire narrative is UTTER garbage. There is no reasonable way to explain Wellman's and Bzz standing middle finger to a passionate fan base the last 4 years.

Maybe the most ardent Bzz sympathizers in the media could argue he didn't get a fair shake from the start but its still journalistic negligence not to provide the context of censoring and then stopping the call in radio show radio show as just one example of the bunker like mentality these two had with a fanbase that NEEDED and DESERVED more from his first year on.

Didn't Illinois offer Shaka $3 mil 2 years ago? Why would the number be $2.5 now? Even if he otherwise wants the job, he isn't going to take significantly less than his market value.

Back