• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Julius Peppers' UNC Transcript Posted

I like the part about Peppers having $1430 in parking tickets. You can't graduate until you pay that stuff off right?

Fuck all y'all haters. I'm rich bitch and I don't give a fuck about school or that bullshit.

00000269.jpg

Widespread academic fraud over a 15 year period across multiple sports? No I don't think this happens almost everywhere. I'm almost certain it didn't happen at Wake during my time there

You're right. It has to be much smaller scale at Wake.

And now begins the airing of our dirty laundry. I think the point- the rather hard to argue with point- is that it's institutionally incomparable to equate anything that's ever happened at Wake with what happens at UNC or other large, public schools. We're talking scale. And that's not an excuse but tossing shit on Wake in this discussion, while I'm sure impressing neophytes with your great inside knowledge, is comparing watermelons with cherries.

Every single school cheats. As long as these rules have been made (and strengthened) they have been broken. I think what is being examined here is the level at which UNC has broken these rules, over multiple sports and multiple years, all the while professing to be a school of great academic integrity and doing things the Carolina Way (see the right way).

And now begins the airing of our dirty laundry. I think the point- the rather hard to argue with point- is that it's institutionally incomparable to equate anything that's ever happened at Wake with what happens at UNC or other large, public schools. We're talking scale. And that's not an excuse but tossing shit on Wake in this discussion, while I'm sure impressing neophytes with your great inside knowledge, is comparing watermelons with cherries.

Yeah... it is just harder to pull shit off like this at Wake.

Does Wake even have an entire department comparable to AFAM? Does Wake have easily manipulated non-PhDs teaching classes who give out freebie grades?

Yeah... it is just harder to pull shit off like this at Wake.

Does Wake even have an entire department comparable to AFAM? Does Wake have easily manipulated non-PhDs teaching classes who give out freebie grades?

I'm sure there are exceptions but Wake is very tough on athletes, especially the ones who aren't prepared for the workload. Alongside with the grade deflation and other shit that goes on here, a lot of our professors are especially strict in response to the common stigma about players getting special treatment. That's the main reason Jeff Teague told his brother not to come to Wake. It's always possible for any student to take a course load that avoids really intellectually challenging classes, but the workload itself is pretty consistent across the school.

Last edited:
And a lot of professors at a lot of schools don't give a damn about sports and certainly not to the detriment of their academic integrity or personal honor. Shit, at Georgia Tech, there are profs who couldn't tell you a baseball from a football.

And you're almost certain based on what, exactly?

Based on the multiple classes (including summer school) I took where athletes were in the majority. I'm not naive enough to think athletes at Wake don't receive any sort of special treatment, or that a professor hasn't ever bumped a D to a C to keep an athlete eligible. I do know, however, that for the most part our football and basketball players went to class and turned something in.

Also as FYC pointed out above it's much harder for something like this to happen at a school like Wake.

At the very least I think the majority of schools at least bother with the pretense of following the rules. That Carolina apparently didn't and thought they could get away with it speaks to the true "Carolina Way".

Yeah from personal experience I had plenty of professors that hated the athletics teams as some sort of unnecessary distraction from academia. One was happy we lost to WVU in 2005 so that basketball season would finally be over.

It's not that we have the most benevolent coaches or the hardest working players... the Wake infrastructure just makes this level of educational mockery impossible.

Based on the multiple classes (including summer school) I took where athletes were in the majority. I'm not naive enough to think athletes at Wake don't receive any sort of special treatment, or that a professor hasn't ever bumped a D to a C to keep an athlete eligible. I do know, however, that for the most part our football and basketball players went to class and turned something in.

Also as FYC pointed out above it's much harder for something like this to happen at a school like Wake.

At the very least I think the majority of schools at least bother with the pretense of following the rules. That Carolina apparently didn't and thought they could get away with it speaks to the true "Carolina Way".

Right, so you went to multiple classes with some athletes and saw them turn things in. That's a long way from having omnipotence to know that cheating wasn't going on for any athletes at Wake. That's my only contention with your post. Very limited perspective on what could have been happening.

The important thing here, as most are pointing out, is the scale to what's being shown in Chapel Hill.

Comparable in what way?

A place seemingly designed to hide athletes. Here are all the majors at Wake:

Major areas of study

Accountancy
Anthropology
Art History
Biology
Business and Enterprise Management
Chemistry
Chinese
Classical Studies
Communication
Computer Science
Economics
Education
English
Finance
French
German
German Studies
Greek
Health and Exercise Science
History
Japanese
Latin
Mathematical Business
Mathematical Economics
Mathematics
Music in Liberal Arts
Music Performance
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Religion
Russian
Sociology
Spanish
Studio Art
Theatre

I think you're overreacting and at least a little paranoid if you think a course of study like African American Studies at a very large public university is designed specifically to "hide athletes". The makeup of the student body and the purpose of the academic institution at a place like UNC is very very different than a place like Wake. And you'll see a wider array of courses to study. You can be sure hundreds of students who are NOT athletes take AFAM courses.

A place seemingly designed to hide athletes. Here are all the majors at Wake:

Major areas of study

Accountancy
Anthropology
Art History
Biology
Business and Enterprise Management
Chemistry
Chinese
Classical Studies
Communication
Computer Science