• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Latest MTOW from Dan

I find it hard to believe that you don't have any critical commentary, but I'm glad you're positively adding to the discussion.

A Dan Collins parody? Hilarious.

Dan has corrected the article.

Ron Wellman is sequestered (I love that word) in Indianapolis attending to his duties as the Chairman of the NCAA Basketball Committee, so I found Mike Buddie, his right-hand man, in hopes that Buddie would shoot down all the speculation.

Buddie declined to do so. He said Wake was leaving all options opened.

I covered my first college game during the 1972-73 season, so I'm about as old-school an ACC writer as anybody still in the busines..

My opinion of the CBI is the same as it has been since it was spawned by the Gazelle Group six years ago,

It's beneath the ACC. It's certainly beneath a basketball program with as proud a basketball tradition as that of Wake.

I wouldn't know why Wake would even entertain the notion, but I hope beyond hope it's not to build the case for bringing [Redacted] back a fifth year.

If Wake does lower itself to such levels, I hope somebody would have the decency not to require Randolph Childress -- as revered a basketball player as there is in school history -- sit on the bench.

That would be harder to watch than the game.

Well done, Dan. This is spot-on.

:golfclap:

I have to say, I'm starting to develop some theories based on what's coming out. We all know that Bz has one year left on his contract, and we've heard the rumors of the AD being strapped for cash, in no small part due to Grobe's buyout. So, the CBI could simply be an effort to make a couple of extra bucks. As for Bz, maybe he won't be fired or asked to resign (which would also mean buying out his last year). Rather, maybe Wellman will simply tell him his contract isn't going to be renewed after next season and let Bz either resign (not under pressure, so no buyout needed) or finish the last year of his contract. It's pretty clear that Bz is miserable at this point, so he is most likely to resign. If he decides to stay, Wellman would have more money to work with and a whole year to find his replacement. If the money situation really is as bad as has been suggested, this might be the best way to go for the program long-term, even if it means we might have to suffer through one more year of Bztheticness.

So, the CBI could simply be an effort to make a couple of extra bucks.

Yeah, but would we actually make $$? The first game is relatively "cheap", but we still have all of the costs of opening the doors, etc to add to it. The cost goes up for each successive game, and I don't see many people being willing to pay $20+ a ticket for a CBI game. Our attendance this season was propped by season tickets and giveaways. How many of those season ticket holders are going to turn around and buy tickets for the CBI? If we're so broke that we need to take a chance and try to make a couple hundred grand on a CBI tourney, then Wake basketball is done for the next 10 years unless we somehow luck into taking a flyer on a cheap coach that works out.

Accordingly to Cumberland's best estimates, we are losing $80,000 a game. Why would we actually make money if we have to pay to play?

If Bz goes and Battle takes over as interim we might sell more tickets than you think. We also don't know how much TV money there might be. But otherwise I agree with you.

Accordingly to Cumberland's best estimates, we are losing $80,000 a game. Why would we actually make money if we have to pay to play?

He didn't say we were actually losing $80,000 per game. He said the difference in game revenue from Dino era attendance to Bz era attendance amounted to $80,000 in lost revenue per game.

Yeah, but that's a loss compared to past seasons when we had more attendance, not a net loss for the game. His figures were based on comparing expected revenue between attendance figures.

bz losing round 1 of cbi and coming back for year 5 will be the new low but probably still not the rock bottom wellman and bz can achieve together

He didn't say we were actually losing $80,000 per game. He said the difference in game revenue from Dino era attendance to Bz era attendance amounted to $80,000 in lost revenue per game.

My bad on the interpretation.

Still, no guarantee we make any money off this.

Back