• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mad Men Season 7 Part 2 premieres April 5

Completely didn't get the Pete one. That's good stuff.

I wasn't pining for Stan-Peggy, but I do think there's been appropriate set up for it. I applaud Weiner and his folks for pulling that off. We didn't have to go through 3 1/2 seasons of "will they, won't they."

As a finale episode, I think it was good - possibly great. It also reinforces the fact that the second half of season 7 was, disappointingly, a complete waste of time. Don as the possible creator of the Coke Ad will be the focus of most of the discussion, rightly so, but some other thoughts:

- The room always gets a little dusty when post-divorce Don refers to Betty as Birdie (Bertie?) and this is was the most powerful example
- Loved that we saw one last conversation between Don and Peggy. Even if she doesn't know all the Dick Whitman details, she's the only person that really knows him, as she alluded to when Anna died
- Loved that we saw one last interaction between Joan and Roger
- Loved that we saw one last interaction between Joan and Peggy
- A nice little twist that Joan turns out to be the one who starts a business and leads the feminist charge
- I know it makes sense for Peggy's character to stay at McCann, but holy hell, how great is it to think of Joan and Peggy running a business together in the 70s?
- Not a huge fan of the Peggy/Stan coupling, especially so quickly after Peggy's phone call with Don, but it's really nitpicking. There's much evidence to the contrary ("The Suitcase"), but Peggy may be the one character who can pull off a work-life balance. Plus Stan evolved into a great character over the last few seasons.
- I wasn't expecting as many moments of levity, particularly Meredith's Pig Latin and Joan's brief taste of cocaine
- The Peggy/Pete scene might've been the best part of the finale. So much was said without words - the two actors just nailed that scene

Since we already know that Joan's son goes on to become legendary Wake Forest fullback Kevin Harris, I'm wondering if we can assume that Don casts him as the little asshole kid in the Mean Joe Greene Coke commercial and that's how he learns about football. Something to chew on.

And I love that Peggy and Pete got to shit on Harry.

Solid ending. Not great, but I felt like everybody had turned a corner and moved on.

i feel like sepinwall was butt hurt over the finale because the other guy called it. He didnt even mention that one guy predicted the end and basically said IF Don came up with the Coke ad while at the retreat than its a bad ending, which is obviously what happened

Classic Pete (and surprised no one has mentioned this one} - not realizing why someone would give him a cactus as a going away gift... (it was because he had always been a prick (thanks to the financee for that insight as this happened to someone at a place she use to work))
good call

i feel like sepinwall was butt hurt over the finale because the other guy called it. He didnt even mention that one guy predicted the end and basically said IF Don came up with the Coke ad while at the retreat than its a bad ending, which is obviously what happened

I don't think that's it at all. Sepinwall isn't really into predictions. He didn't like it because it was cynical and didn't represent what he felt was growth for the character.

but why would he expect any less? i like sepinwall but he has shown a tendency over the years to favor certain individuals. i just thought it was odd he didnt even mention how on point someones guess was

The same theme was in The Sopranos. Dr. Melfi always thought she was making progress with Tony, and in the last or second to last episode she finally realizes, with the help of her psychiatrist friends, that Tony is a sociopath and incapable of change.

We saw lots of characters running in circles throughout the series. They're all ultimately the same at the end. Peggy "grew" the most but that was more a reflection of her environment changing.

i agree with FYC except i think Joanie had more growth than Peggy. Peggy's always been a dorky workaholic

i agree with FYC except i think Joanie had more growth than Peggy. Peggy's always been a dorky workaholic

For real tho, Joan's dude wanted her to change of they were going to be together and she was like nah I gotta Joan. She was always a strong ass woman that was super capable in the business world. Main thing was her opportunities grew from 60-70 just like Peggy's.

i think she was more about willing to compromise to what the man wanted to do and now she's evolved into someone that the man better be ok with what she wants to do

i think she was more about willing to compromise to what the man wanted to do and now she's evolved into someone that the man better be ok with what she wants to do

Yes. That's a clear departure from Season 1 Joan.

I don't think it's incompatible that Don grew some from the retreat and still delivered the Coke ad. His work has always had elements of raw, personal emotion and an uncanny understanding of how people think.

I dug the finale a lot.

I always thought that Joan and Peggy represented the diverging image of women during the 60's... Joan thrived in the world where she used her sexual prowess to her full advantage. Peggy, being less gifted in the physical attributes department, was more into proving herself and letting her talent get her where she wanted to be. Remember, women's lib and bra-burning happened in the late 60's. Peggy was the epitome of the woman who didn't need a man to get ahead (and at the time many men did not appreciate such women).

Contrast this to Joan - I remember the episode where Joan was sooo good at reading copy for upcoming soap opera episodes and figuring out product placement and then having Harry hire a male into the permanent role. It was clear no one took Joan seriously. As Jim Hobart did not - "did you inherit your partnership?" No, it was worse, it was her using her sexual prowess to land the client and the shares...

I always thought the last cat fight between Joan and Peggy would be over this - Joan slept her way to the top to great financial rewards while Peggy worked her tail off for a mid-level job (remember when Joan, a partner, informed Peggy she would become something like Assistant Copy Director or some other meaningless title).

While they had achieved their status in the confines of SC&P, the real world hit them like a brick. Sure, Roger could be coy with Joan. They had been friends / lovers going way back. Peggy had made her mark with gaining respect from her co-workers. And then they go to the meeting at McCann... they are treated the same way as they were at the beginning of the show in the early days of Sterling Cooper... only now it is not okay. It showed how much both of them had grown.

And, at the end, we get confirmation of that... We were always teased with the idea of Joan needing to be taken care of by a successful man - Roger, Greg a potential doctor, and Richard, a rich retired developer. However, it was easy to overlook that Joan had always longed to be accepted for her talent as well as her looks. The script reading, the relationship with Avon and a few other clients. So, she seized upon the opportunity immediately when it presented itself at lunch with Ken at the expense of a cushy personal life that seemed to await. Of course, she twice asked if Richard was willing to marry her and as he never did ask, the answer apparently was no; hence, he was no better than Roger who saw her only in sexual terms and never took her too seriously.

Peggy always wanted acceptance both at work and in her personal life, although the latter wasn't always on display. She didn't back down when the account was taken away from her and called the other lady's bluff to get the account back (I think in an early season she let Pete or someone take an account and she didn't raise much resistance). And, she didn't sacrifice to win over a man. She is playing on her own terms both professionally and personally.

Well, done...

Great post, oldman, especially with respect to the full circle treatment of Joan and Peggy. I think you could argue the same was true for the men in the cast. They weren't happy being what they were 10 years ago.

It was extremely kind of Roger to provide some make-work tasks for Meredith to keep her on the payroll in anticipation of Don's return. As an ordinary viewer, I'm just glad Matthew Weiner let me get one more look at Meredith.
As for the rest of this episode, I'm still chewing on it.

Back