• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maker's Mark changing/REVERSES DECISION!

Oh yes, i agree, I love bourbon but I have champagne taste on a beer budget. Cheap bourbon is just awful, as is cheap scotch (Dewars).

Plus to lose weight I've had to go to vodka drinks, ugh.

You should realize that's not a winning weight loss strategy.

You should realize that's not a winning weight loss strategy.

As long as it's not flavored, etc, wouldn't the calories come from the alcohol anyway? So an 80 proof Vodka has the same calories as an 80 proof Whiskey?

As long as it's not flavored, etc, wouldn't the calories come from the alcohol anyway? So an 80 proof Vodka has the same calories as an 80 proof Whiskey?

This is true for Whiskey and Vodka (Gin, Rum etc. not so much).

I like Bourbon much better, Scotch tastes like an ashtray smells.

587.jpg

To get the same amount of alcohol, wouldn't you have to drink 6-7% more? Actually 6.66% more. Coincidence?

Sweet. Thanks for the correction and giving me a built in excuse to drink twice as much extra as I originally thought.

I like Bourbon much better, Scotch tastes like an ashtray smells.

then you've had a pretty narrow experience w/ scotch

*sounds like a lot of guys have the same problem. not all scotch is peaty, some have no peat flavor at all.

MM is the Toyota Corolla of bourbons. Very popular, but not all that great.

You don't understand the process then. Bourbon isn't something where you can instantly bump production to respond to demand. Bourbon takes time to make and then years to age (5.5-6.5 years for Maker's, much longer for better Bourbon). It's like growing Christmas trees...you've got to spend money and guess at demand years ahead of time.

I never advocated that they walk into their distillery and turn the magical production knob from 10 to 11 and voila...problem solved. If demand outstrips supply, it seems like the thing to do would be to just raise prices and then get better at predicting demand. Dick with your product's recipe, and you stand to lose much more. I don't know, maybe they've run models that people don't care, but if that we're the case, then why the preemptive need to reassure their customers? It looks like a risky move that jeopardizes what has obviously been a successful product.

Ha. I didn't even see his second post. Mr. Scotch snob lectures while sipping a Cosmo (low sugar cranberry juice, of course).

Vodka and diet tonic if I drink at all, kinda gave up most of my drinking cause its pretty much empty cals to drink in general.

Vodka and diet tonic if I drink at all, kinda gave up most of my drinking cause its pretty much empty cals to drink in general.

drinking has nothing to do with calories....you are sounding like a tree hugging liberal.

then you've had a pretty narrow experience w/ scotch

*sounds like a lot of guys have the same problem. not all scotch is peaty, some have no peat flavor at all.

I've been to multiple Scotch tastings, Scotch pairing dinners, etc and I don't really recall being served anything that didn't have a peaty flavor. I'm sure they exist within the definition of Scotch, but I assumed most folks who drank Scotch drank it for that flavor profile. Any recs for Scotches that don't have the smoky profile?

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe they've run models that people don't care, but if that we're the case, then why the preemptive need to reassure their customers? It looks like a risky move that jeopardizes what has obviously been a successful product.

I read an article that said they ran it by tasters, big fans, etc and no one could tell the difference.

Back