• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maker's Mark changing/REVERSES DECISION!

i think he's saying that worrying about calories when drinking/choosing a drink is fairly ridiculous

The biggest problem is that it slows your metabolism and your body is processing alcohol rather than burning fat.

i think he's saying that worrying about calories when drinking/choosing a drink is fairly ridiculous

Ohhhh.

Well it makes a difference if you're cal-limited. I miss the hell out of Dale's and most non light beer in general. But when I get to my goal I look forward to putting it alllll back on.

I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

I don't know, but I have looked up the nutrition facts on them before, and they are slightly higher. I don't think they are higher enough to warrant caring though, I wanna say it is like 5 calories per drink more or something.

ETA: I just looked it up on the USDA website and they say that the others also have the same calorie content. Apparently the site I looked it up on a while back was wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe Bears and Deacs can address the finer points of this, but I distinctly remember Julian Van Winkle talk about the tasting process him and his son go through and how heavily they water down the barrels when they are sampling barrels as a way to "taste" the bourbon without subjecting themselves to the full proof.

Typically bourbon is tasted at around 20% (40 proof). There is still enough alcohol to carry the flavor, but not so much as to mask flaws.

I'm stunned that there are this many people who consider calories when selecting their bourbon or spirit.

how much are you guys drinking that you're counting calories in your alcohol? christ almighty

You guys know what doesn't have calories? Heroin. Boom, you're welcome.

how much are you guys drinking that you're counting calories in your alcohol? christ almighty

Do you realize that a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA has 209 calories in it versus Bud Light at 110 versus Scotch neat at 96? Want to know why I need to lose about ten pounds? Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (198 calories).

Makers has a great flavor profile and is featured in a lot of classic cocktails. If they fuck it up it would suck. It isn't about whether Woodford or Blanton's or a great Willet/Pappy/Wild Turkey is "superior" to Makers. It sure as hell isn't about some stupid "scotch versus bourbon" argument. Makers is a classic, and it's a big deal to mess with it.

Do you realize that a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA has 209 calories in it versus Bud Light at 110 versus Scotch neat at 96? Want to know why I need to lose about ten pounds? Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (198 calories).

DemonDKE is rolling over in his grave.

Makers has a great flavor profile and is featured in a lot of classic cocktails. If they fuck it up it would suck. It isn't about whether Woodford or Blanton's or a great Willet/Pappy/Wild Turkey is "superior" to Makers. It sure as hell isn't about some stupid "scotch versus bourbon" argument. Makers is a classic, and it's a big deal to mess with it.

DC with the spot on post.

Bingo.

And when you're a seasoned drinker (aka Wake Forest grad), a bud light ain't gonna do the trick.

Back