• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

March Madness Thread

Shiiiiiit! I'm still holding out hope that Moton comes to Wake at some point!!!!

Notre Dame letting things get dangerously close...they are missing a lot of shots that normally fall for them.

edit: Most surprising thing is that they aren't hitting their free throws like they normally do. Currently they are 9/14 from the line.

Last edited:
You really don't know enough about Bob Knight to make it worth my time to even try to have a conversation about him with you. Like most fans, your head has been filled with distorted stories by the media that were just designed to create sensational stories to sell newspapers, magazines & advertising. However, I would just mention a couple of areas where your mental picture of Bob Knight has been distorted by the media and is wildly inaccurate. The first one is this idea that Bob Knight is constantly bitching about officiating all the time....like you do, for example. That is a total myth. Yes, in 40 years of coaching he has had a few run-ins with officials....which have been beaten into the ground by a publicity-seeking media....just like anyone would have in 40 years of coaching. If you would check the facts, however, you would find that in his 29 years at Indiana, Bob Knight regularly ranking among the bottom of Big Ten coaches in technical fouls.

And yes, Knight demanded a lot from his players....which is why they developed the discipline to be able to function in tight game-time situations when less disciplined opposing players folded....and why most of his players have been very successful in life after playing for him. That is why Darryl Thomas had the mental presence of mind to not take a contested 15-foot shot in the 1987 NCAAT championship game with his team one point down and the entire season was on the line. Instead, he remembered what Knight had taught him in practice and found Keith Smart on the baseline, where he calmly made a 10-footer with three seconds left in the game for Knight's 3rd National Championship.

Getting back to the media and how it has been able to warp the perceived picture of Bob Knight with people like you...and many, many others....all you have to do is look at the chair throw. And I emphasize the word "throw" because it only happened one time....and that one time was now more than 32 years ago. And even though it happened only one time 32 years ago, The Media has successfully implanted that one time occurrence into gullible fans' heads over the last three decades so that if you stopped the average person on the street and asked him what he thought of when the name of Bob Knight was mentioned, probably 80% or more of them would respond with something like "Wasn't he the guy who threw chairs?"

I could go on & on, but there is no reason to do so. In the first place, there is nothing I could say that would change your opinion about Bob Knight...and, secondly, I don't really care what your opinion of him is, anyway. Bob Knight isn't perfect, but The Media has painted a very prejudiced picture of him over the years....to serve their own selfish purposes. The Media is very good at that. We see the same thing in the world of politics all the time.

I would just say that if you did happen to be the rare person who sincerely interested in getting a "fair & balanced" picture of Bob Knight that would help offset the very biased one you have been getting from the media all these years, read Joan Mellen's book "Bob Knight: His Own Man". And, by the way, there is an entire chapter in that book devoted to a detailed analysis of all of these sensational Knight stories over the years where The Media only told you one side of what happened.

I guy I worked with was a huge Hoosiers fan. Took his son (10 y/o or so) to see them in the first round of the NCAA's many years ago. Indiana won the first game, and on the next day our guy gets on the elevator with his son and who should get on with them but...Bob Knight!!! Star-struck kid is dressed in I.U. gear from head to toe, and when Dad tells his son to ask the coach for an autograph, Knight says something dismissive and gets off the elevator. The dad hurt like hell for his son who was understandably devastated.
So a 2nd-hand story, but one that didn't surprise me based on what I had heard/read about Knight from other sources. And any busy/important person can have an "off day", but I'd venture you'll never hear a similar story about Arnold Palmer.

Pulled the trigger on UF -10 and added Minnesota +1.5.

Feeling good after the Princeton-driven 1-0 start.

I guy I worked with was a huge Hoosiers fan. Took his son (10 y/o or so) to see them in the first round of the NCAA's many years ago. Indiana won the first game, and on the next day our guy gets on the elevator with his son and who should get on with them but...Bob Knight!!! Star-struck kid is dressed in I.U. gear from head to toe, and when Dad tells his son to ask the coach for an autograph, Knight says something dismissive and gets off the elevator. The dad hurt like hell for his son who was understandably devastated.
So a 2nd-hand story, but one that didn't surprise me based on what I had heard/read about Knight from other sources. And any busy/important person can have an "off day", but I'd venture you'll never hear a similar story about Arnold Palmer.

Arnold Palmer and Bob Knight should never be mentioned in the same conversation except for the purpose of drawing sharp contrast...like between good and evil.

I have a hard time believing that story....and I have one of my own. In January, 1995 I was scheduled to go to my company's home office in Rock Island, Il. for a week. I wrote Bob Knight a letter telling him how much I admired the way he ran the IU program and that I would like to meet him. He invited me to come to the Friday night practice on January 20th as the Hoosiers....currently on a 50-game home winning streak...prepared for the next Tuesday's game against arch-rival Michigan. Well, I had planned to fly to Rock Island, as it was a 950-mile drive each way. After getting Coach Knight's letter, though, I decided to drive and come back by Bloomington on that Friday after my week at the home office. As it turned out, we had a 17-inch snowstorm in Rock Island on Thursday and it took me about 8 hours to make the 350-mile drive from Rock Island to Bloomington. Practice was half over when I got to Assembly Hall around 8 PM. I still got the chance to talk to Coach Knight for about 15-20 minutes in the lobby of Assembly Hall after the practice was over. He was very appreciative of my support and the effort I made to get there....even going so far as to tell me that if I could change my plans he would "put me up" for the weekend and get me a ticket to the Michigan game on Tuesday. Unfortunately I already had obligations for the next week and told him that I had to get back to NC. (Looking back at it I don't know why the hell I didn't arrange to change my plans and stay. He may have even had me stay at his own house. I've heard of him doing things like that. And I would have almost certainly had a ticket right behind the IU bench for the Michigan game.) Anyway, he then told me that if I ever wanted to come back up to Indiana for a game to just let him know and he would send me a ticket. It was one of the nicest conversations that I ever had. Coach Knight was most generous with his time for me and went completely out of his way with the offers to help me if I could arrange to extend my trip.

No one gives a shit. This is the March Madness thread.

I wasn't the one who injected Bob Knight into this thread, dickhead. Direct your complaints to TUA, who started all of this in post #176.

Your presence injects misery into all you encounter. Complaints are directed accordingly.

You really don't know enough about Bob Knight to make it worth my time to even try to have a conversation about him with you.

After he wrote this sentence, he wrote 572 more words. His time must not be that valuable.

No one gives a shit. This is the March Madness thread.

Why do people continue to engage him on this shit? He's not even mildly entertaining like RJ or DonaldRoss. He's just a sad old man who gets off on trolling his own fucking fanbase and felating a coach that's been retired for a decade. Just let him yell to himself, and go on about your business.

Last edited:
And Daum from South Dakota state looks like Biff Tannen. Sorry if this point has already been made.

Back