• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

I watched some of the women last night to get a sense of the course. Not sure it is a great fit for our team, as its pretty tight and our guys are more bombers. Might be wrong though.

Interesting - 2pm start for our team, last in the tourney. Considering it'll be a cold morning and might not hit 60 till we tee off it might actually be a good thing. Plus they'll have an idea of how tough the course is playing. Or it could be soft in the morning and they miss all the scoring hours. Who knows.

I see we are paired with USF and FSU. Curious how/why FSU didn't land Koepka, it isn't like he wasn't good in High School, and then was Big East POY as a Freshman. And Chris Dimarco's kid playing for USF as well.

Actually just looked it up and Chase said he didn't want to be in Brooks' shadow.

I see we are paired with USF and FSU. Curious how/why FSU didn't land Koepka, it isn't like he wasn't good in High School, and then was Big East POY as a Freshman. And Chris Dimarco's kid playing for USF as well.

Actually just looked it up and Chase said he didn't want to be in Brooks' shadow.

I met Chase while watching the players am last year. Followed him and chatted for 9 holes. Really nice guy and serious game. He hits it like his brother - the ball makes a different sound coming off the club, and he was the longest guy I saw out there that day.

Really thought there was going to be television coverage of this over the weekend and not just the last couple matches next week. Bummer.

Yeah I wonder if it has to do with the Golf Channel's contracts with the professional tours, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to expand coverage to the weekend especially when it's on the west coast and you could start airing in the mid to late afternoon. Although I suppose that could conflict with their normal airing of the Senior Tour.

Really thought there was going to be television coverage of this over the weekend and not just the last couple matches next week. Bummer.

There's final round coverage of the stroke play portion on Monday.

At least we get the match play in prime time.

Yeah I wonder if it has to do with the Golf Channel's contracts with the professional tours, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to expand coverage to the weekend especially when it's on the west coast and you could start airing in the mid to late afternoon. Although I suppose that could conflict with their normal airing of the Senior Tour.

Nobody really is going to tune in for rounds 1-3 of college stroke play golf. Wants the drama starts with the final round cut, and continuing through match play, the viewership numbers make it worthwhile for TGC to show it.

Nobody really is going to tune in for rounds 1-3 of college stroke play golf. Wants the drama starts with the final round cut, and continuing through match play, the viewership numbers make it worthwhile for TGC to show it.

Also a great point.

I'd think more people would tune in for it than a Web.com event, an LPGA event, or maybe even a senior tour event if they just marketed it a little. I think with Spieth and Dechambeau and other recent young stars the awareness of college golf has picked up a lot. Do people really find the US Am Fourball more entertaining than the top 30 college teams in the country squaring off? I'm a big fan of covering it but watching a single fourball match on TV can be like watching paint dry. Plus the team camaraderie angle makes the NCAA championship unique in golf.

It's weird how little coverage there is for college golf when you think about it. Obviously football and basketball are huge, for baseball the college world series gets a ton of coverage and local areas show college baseball pretty regularly - but there's hardly any college golf coverage.

I'd think more people would tune in for it than a Web.com event, an LPGA event, or maybe even a senior tour event if they just marketed it a little. I think with Spieth and Dechambeau and other recent young stars the awareness of college golf has picked up a lot. Do people really find the US Am Fourball more entertaining than the top 30 college teams in the country squaring off? I'm a big fan of covering it but watching a single fourball match on TV can be like watching paint dry. Plus the team camaraderie angle makes the NCAA championship unique in golf.

It's weird how little coverage there is for college golf when you think about it. Obviously football and basketball are huge, for baseball the college world series gets a ton of coverage and local areas show college baseball pretty regularly - but there's hardly any college golf coverage.

FOX is showing the US Am Four Ball because I'm sure that was part of their sweetheart package to land all the USGA events (over exposure of some of the lesser USGA amateur events)....I doubt that event would be on TV if ESPN/Golf Channel still had the USGA contract.

FOX is showing the US Am Four Ball because I'm sure that was part of their sweetheart package to land all the USGA events (over exposure of some of the lesser USGA amateur events)....I doubt that event would be on TV if ESPN/Golf Channel still had the USGA contract.

Sure, but that doesn't really alter the point. The NCAA has football and basketball in their pocket to combine with package deals to create exposure for other sports. I really mean if the Fourball can make it to TV I don't see why the NCAA Championship stroke play can't. I wonder if the college golf world doesn't really want to expand TV coverage...

Do people really find the US Am Fourball more entertaining than the top 30 college teams in the country squaring off?

I'd rather watch the four ball match play than any of the first 3 rounds of the NCAA golf tournament, but I'm a sucker for match play. Plus I had multiple friends in the field.

I'd rather watch the four ball match play than any of the first 3 rounds of the NCAA golf tournament, but I'm a sucker for match play. Plus I had multiple friends in the field.

Yeah, I meant just the physics of a single match on TV. When they stroll up to a short par 4 and everyone has irons in their hands on the tee box, might as well just watch something else for 30 minutes while they all hit then walk to their balls... Just a painful spectator experience versus a full field of stroke play.

Wake doesn't tee off for another three and a half hours and are still only one shot out. Course looks tough today.

Good grief the course got tough since the women played. I'm guessing they didn't cut the rough since the women's stroke play.

College golf stroke play is also hard to televise because no one ever has a clue about which scores are counting at any given moment

Good grief the course got tough since the women played. I'm guessing they didn't cut the rough since the women's stroke play.

The rough had definitely gotten long by the Stanford-Washington match. They were really having to hack out in a lot of spots.

Back