• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Damn, N. Texas qualified three individuals for regionals? Their four and five must be awful.

Hardly seems fair that Texas plays at home.

Every regional is being played at one team's home course, I believe. Stanford is hosting one, LSU, Washington ,and Purdue are hosting one....I'm not sure if the College Grove course is Vandy's home course or not (don't believe it is), but it's like 30 or so minutes from their campus .....if you take the effort to place a bid for one of these things, you will be rewarded by getting to play there if you qualify for the tournament. This isn't like the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament where the tickets will sell (and interest will be there) regardless. Try finding volunteers to work your NCAA golf regional if the host school doesn't even get the chance to play there.

Not a great day for Wake but I would bet we end today in the top-5 or very close to it. The last four holes hurt us (and others) and most teams have yet to play them.

Another horrible round by Cameron Young, capped off by a nifty 44 on the back.

Why? We're tied with McNeese St. Our most historically dominant program has turned into a complete also-ran under Haas, despite incredible facilities investments. College of Charleston and GA Southern aren't ranked in the top 50 and are beating us by 4 and 5.

I know, its almost like anything can happen in a round of golf. Just relax, its a 3 round tournament.

"Also-ran" is just not even remotely accurate statement. We are recruiting stud after stud. The NH kid and the South African guys coming next year are awesome, especially the SA. Add to it this recent announcement and we continue to be in great shape. http://golfweek.com/2017/05/03/recr...matt-brother-commits-to-wake-forest-for-2018/

Yes, you can take issue with ACC/NCAA success, but its really really tough to peak for one specific week of the year. In totality, the program is very strong in the most competitive era of college golf.

Why? We're tied with McNeese St. Our most historically dominant program has turned into a complete also-ran under Haas, despite incredible facilities investments. College of Charleston and GA Southern aren't ranked in the top 50 and are beating us by 4 and 5.

Don't sleep on McNeese St.

I know, its almost like anything can happen in a round of golf. Just relax, its a 3 round tournament.

"Also-ran" is just not even remotely accurate statement. We are recruiting stud after stud. The NH kid and the South African guys coming next year are awesome, especially the SA. Add to it this recent announcement and we continue to be in great shape. http://golfweek.com/2017/05/03/recr...matt-brother-commits-to-wake-forest-for-2018/

Yes, you can take issue with ACC/NCAA success, but its really really tough to peak for one specific week of the year. In totality, the program is very strong in the most competitive era of college golf.

Do you think anyone, even most of those who follow the program, really care about anything other than ACC/NCAA success? In Haas' 20 years we have one 3rd place NCAA finish to show. That's it. Producing PGA talent would be my other barometer of success, and that has been lacking as well.

Compare that to what other, less-historically significant, non-revenue sports like Soccer, Field Hockey, and Tennis have done, and it looks even worse.

Deacs go to the clubhouse at +10 and in 10th place with almost everyone still on the course

top 5 teams advance and after 1 day the 5th place team will be no worse than +7

Texas is playing like this is their home course with 22 birdies on the day

Damn, N. Texas qualified three individuals for regionals? Their four and five must be awful.

I looked this up out of interest earlier. They were below .500 overall for the year and didn't qualify.

They got 2nd in the stroke play portion of the C-USA, but it seems that it then goes to match play for the semis. They lost to Charlotte in the semis and their hopes were over with.

Deacs are 4 shots away from moving on. If Cam Young shoots a 37 on the back instead of a 44 (with 3 doubles --- ouch!), WF is tied for 4th right now. WF is essentially the 2nd seed in this region, and WF is tied for 8th out of 14.

Still in contention, but cannot afford another stinker round today. Need to bring it.

Do you think anyone, even most of those who follow the program, really care about anything other than ACC/NCAA success? In Haas' 20 years we have one 3rd place NCAA finish to show. That's it. Producing PGA talent would be my other barometer of success, and that has been lacking as well.

Compare that to what other, less-historically significant, non-revenue sports like Soccer, Field Hockey, and Tennis have done, and it looks even worse.

Time for a change

Let's just let the week finish out before we start jumping the gun again shall we?

Plenty of golf left. This team has a lot of talent and I fully expect us to be contending in the NCAA Finals. Anything short of that is a disappointment in my mind, but let's see it play out first.

Back