• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name your favorite RW Golden Nugget from the Presser

DeacDude

Reaction score
1. Saying repeatedly that Bzz resigned when only 48 hours earlier in interviews Bzz says he's continuing to work to improve the program
2. The Glass of Water story in which RW attempts to portray Bzz as the kind of guy who regularly puts people at ease with his great sense of humor
3. His report that Wake had the most difficult ACC schedule (didn't know anyone ranked that kind of thing)
4. Saying Bzz's downfall was not meeting goals of the program but never indicating exactly what those goals were and even avoiding making them specifc
5. Stating that Bzz was among the best he's ever seen at "caring"
6. Evaluating Bzz's pre-Wake record as successful as long as you're willing to "dig deep"
7. Redefining the term 'Winner' as someone who may actually not win as many games as they lose
8. Comparing the importance of the hiring of WF's tennis coach to the importance of hiring WF's basketball coach
9. Reporting that WF's crowd size are not in decline despite all evidence to the contrary and his explantion of the turnstile counts
10. Daniel Green

"Jeff did all I ever anticipated."

This is why people think you're a complete buffoon, Ron.

You pretty much captured it...Although I honestly stopped listening halfway through his BS presser glorifying and defenfing his loser buddy.

It's not just 1 golden nugget from the presser, you have to look at RW's entire "body of work" in his oration/answers.....and you summed it up well!

When I eat chicken nuggets in the future I will always remember some of these tasty tidbits!

Wake had one of the most efficient offenses in the ACC.

That water story was insane. [Redacted] made a joke. See?! He's not an alien after all! Why were you so mean to him?

All you have to do is look at the front page of today's W-S Journal to know that Ron lost the press conference. It's amazing. RW's credibility is completely shot.

Wake was one of the top teams in the ACC in offensive efficiency. Oh really, Ron?

dm_081126_ncb_pomeroy.jpg

If I have to pick just one the dig deeper comments was the best nugget to me. Raw was really reaching there to try to explain why in the heck he brought [Redacted] here in the first place.

"Jeff did all I ever anticipated."

Ron Wellman's press conference yesterday was a disaster. It is obvious Wellman is more interested in defending his own inexcusably bad decision to hire Bz than in acting honestly and forthrightly to acknowledge his bad decision and promising to fix it. Wellman needs to go, NOW.

"Are the assistants gone too?" Uh, with Jeff resigning, his staff would be out as well.

10 minutes later...

"What about the assistant coaches? Are they still employed by Wake?" Uh, yes, they're still under contract and we'll have to meet with them to determine what they want to do in the future. If they don't want to be here then they should move on...

:squint:

I'll never understand why the PR guys don't tell the RWs of the world that they would do better with something like this: "Jeff [Redacted] is a decent and honorable man and he did his best here at Wake Forest under trying circumstances. Nevertheless, like all coaches at this level, he knows his results are ultimately measured in wins and losses. Obviously, on that score we have not made the progress we hoped for and for that reason Jeff and I recognized that a coaching change was required. Wake Forest appreciates Coach [Redacted]'s efforts on its behalf over the last four years and wishes him well."

And when Dan asks about attendance, just say, yes, its clear that the Joel could have had more people in the seats the last four years. End of story. This isn't hard, folks.

I think my favorite was the when he mentioned the forever relationship. Wake Forest Animal Rescue and Adoption.

Wellman did what he had to do. Let's say he came out and said" Buzz sucked. The program is a mess, and it was a terrible mistake to hire such a boob" how do you think that would have played out when trying yo hire a replacement.any via h worth a salt would say, wow so if things go bad for me at Wake the AD will basically grill me to cover his own hide and end my career, on TV. Name things are pretty good here at VCU. It might not be the ACC, but I do not have to worry about the admin. Pouring salt in the wounds if it does not work. Or image Roy or K in th e living room of the recruit, I know y o u like Wake but did you hear the AD trashing the last coach. Basically calling out his team teaching/recruiting. If you let your kid go there, it might be his coach and indirectly your son getting grilled. Everyone knows Buzz failed, so what purpose would it serve to filet him after you fire him?

I'll never understand why the PR guys don't tell the RWs of the world that they would do better with something like this: "Jeff [Redacted] is a decent and honorable man and he did his best here at Wake Forest under trying circumstances. Nevertheless, like all coaches at this level, he knows his results are ultimately measured in wins and losses. Obviously, on that score we have not made the progress we hoped for and for that reason Jeff and I recognized that a coaching change was required. Wake Forest appreciates Coach [Redacted]'s efforts on its behalf over the last four years and wishes him well."

And when Dan asks about attendance, just say, yes, its clear that the Joel could have had more people in the seats the last four years. End of story. This isn't hard, folks.

Because that would be admitting a mistake, and Ron Wellman never makes any mistakes. The appearances have to be maintained.

That press conference was a disaster. Had he written one email to the deacon club/alumni and one press release q nd left it there no one blames him. Instead he arrogantly walks in a room thinking everyone there will keep buying his bs and not ask tough questions because if he says it (despite contradicting his actions) everyone will believe it. He is the smartest guy in the room. What we got was the type of tough questions he has not really had to answer and he was completely shocked and unprepared. It's tough to think on your feat when your narrative is made up and you are only trying to save your reputation after an unmitigated and unprecedented 4 year disaster.

#WellmanOut

Back