• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name your favorite RW Golden Nugget from the Presser

Ron Wellman's press conference yesterday was a disaster. It is obvious Wellman is more interested in defending his own inexcusably bad decision to hire Bz than in acting honestly and forthrightly to acknowledge his bad decision and promising to fix it. Wellman needs to go, NOW.

Totally agree. Even yesterday despite 4 years of direct evidence and 7+ all together, he still defends this hire. I'm still 100% #wellmanOut, but hiring Shaka or Marshall would save face quite a bit. Really curious to see how this search goes.

He didn't have to trash Bz to own up to his mistake four years ago, or even the decision to retain him last year. I would have had a ton more respect for Wellman if had just said, "I went with my gut on hiring Jeff and it was obviously not a good fit for Wake Forest. I gave Jeff the fourth year to turn things around, but he did not meet the goals we had set at the beginning of the season.". End of story. could have done that after the Acc tourney an everyone would relax. Instead we have drama building while Ron is in Indy playing the big shot, and upon his his return, springs a press conference full of absolute bullshit and lies, meanwhile the quad is getting rolled in celebration of this idiots so-called resignation. Well man could not have handled this any worse!

Totally agree. Even yesterday despite 4 years of direct evidence and 7+ all together, he still defends this hire. I'm still 100% #wellmanOut, but hiring Shaka or Marshall would save face quite a bit. Really curious to see how this search goes.

Oh, you must be one of those people that believes a "winner" is someone who... wins games. Didn't you know that losers are winners too? At least in RW's world?

Wellman comes from an old media environment where, if you could control leaks, you could pretty much tell the press any lie you wanted. That doesn't fly in 2014. People can actually call him on his bullshit

Yeah, if Wellman makes a strong hire this time around and our flagship program gets turned back around, I'm fine letting him ride off into the sunset with [new basketball coach] and Clawson being the tail-end of his legacy.

Editted to add - my favorite quote from yesterday was "You're not a loser if your record is under .500. A winner is someone who can take a program and build a winning program, regardless of what the record is."

Yeah, if Wellman makes a strong hire this time around and our flagship program gets turned back around, I'm fine letting him ride off into the sunset with [new basketball coach] and Clawson being the tail-end of his legacy.

Editted to add - my favorite quote from yesterday was "You're not a loser if your record is under .500. A winner is someone who can take a program and build a winning program, regardless of what the record is."

He didn't say that, did he?

The two low points had to be the whole losers can be winners too bit and the "forever relationship" nonsense. WTF Ron. Those were just embarrassing.

RES-MA12-LBR03.jpg

And let's not forget...

"At one point we were 10-3, which is exactly where I thought we would be."

The beauty of scheduling cupcakes to inflate a record.

For some reason I really got a kick out "In fact, I was just talking to a *National Basketball Leader* on my way over here." Like, what does that even mean.

And let's not forget...

"At one point we were 10-3, which is exactly where I thought we would be."

The beauty of scheduling cupcakes to inflate a record.

Sorry, SMU. Sorry.

Oh, and I almost threw my coffee through my computer screen when Ron said, for approximately the 4th time in the first 10 minutes, that "Jeff has conducted himself with class and dignitEE every step of the way."

The BSD guys should do a fact-checker column where they put all those half-truths from the presser into context.

"Just because you're a loser doesn't mean you're a loser..."

Or something to that effect.

Look, let's be magnanimous in victory. Buzz is gone. He is now officially "dead" to us. As the late Moms Mabley would say: "Don't say nothin' but good about the dead. He dead. . . Good."
By all accounts Buzz was a nice guy who just isn't head college basketball material; hiring him was a bad mistake. Hopefully, the next hire will look good in press conferences and interviews, keep us all laughing with post-game humor, and win basketball games. Let's move one.

I'm going with the glass of water story. That was a real knee slapper. :thumbsup:

Seriously, when I heard that I thought this guy has no idea how to address people in a public forum. :rulz: I really felt sorry for him. :rulz:

Back