• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name your favorite RW Golden Nugget from the Presser

Look, let's be magnanimous in victory. Buzz is gone. He is now officially "dead" to us. As the late Moms Mabley would say: "Don't say nothin' but good about the dead. He dead. . . Good."
By all accounts Buzz was a nice guy who just isn't head college basketball material; hiring him was a bad mistake. Hopefully, the next hire will look good in press conferences and interviews, keep us all laughing with post-game humor, and win basketball games. Let's move one.

I'm not sure "all" means what you think it does.

Wellman is the CEO of Wake Athletics, so he needs to be salesman and say salesman things to sell Wake sports. He also needs to support his coaches and staff and say things to that effect. That is acknowledged.

His problem is that he just can't seem to help himself from going overboard and sounding like a fool. As other people have posted on this thread, he could have very easily thanked [Redacted] for his effort and the fact he brought in a class of good kids without going overboard with the praise, making the horrible excuses of our "difficult schedule" or the injuries to Daniel Green, or going off the cuff with that ridiculous spilled water joke story (seriously, WTF was that? just a terrible impromptu moment). It does feel insulting to me as an alumn, and judging from Dan's questions yesterday, it certainly seems to be insulting to the media who cover Wake sports.

For example, with the attendance comment, as someone else wrote, there would have been no harm in acknowledging that we expect better attendance, that Wake has a great fanbase who is eager to support the team and fill the Joel, and he is confident they will do so with this team next year, especially with the exciting improvements being made to the facility. Boom. That's how you spin a negative to a positive. Lying is just so unnecessary. Who is he trying to convince when he says that attendance is strong?

To me, it just goes to show that there is no one at Wake with the juice to stand up to Wellman and correct these habits. He's been doing it for 4 years now and he's only getting worse. If Mike Buddie is his eventual successor, I hope to Christ that he's cognizant of Wellman's mistake and doesn't do the same things.

Look, let's be magnanimous in victory. Buzz is gone. He is now officially "dead" to us. As the late Moms Mabley would say: "Don't say nothin' but good about the dead. He dead. . . Good."
By all accounts Buzz was a nice guy who just isn't head college basketball material; hiring him was a bad mistake. Hopefully, the next hire will look good in press conferences and interviews, keep us all laughing with post-game humor, and win basketball games. Let's move one.

i have already put this Buzz person out of my mind. But this thread is about trashing our AD, who is still collecting a million dollar salary and looking like a buffoon at press conferences. He needs to make a knockout hire and then put himself out to pasture.

Part of me thinks there's a legitimate chance that Wellman could've gotten a TBI from his bike accident, but another part thinks that the other AD's on the Selection Committee would've realized something was up and kept him from being named Chairman.

Wellman is the CEO of Wake Athletics, so he needs to be salesman and say salesman things to sell Wake sports. He also needs to support his coaches and staff and say things to that effect. That is acknowledged.

His problem is that he just can't seem to help himself from going overboard and sounding like a fool. As other people have posted on this thread, he could have very easily thanked [Redacted] for his effort and the fact he brought in a class of good kids without going overboard with the praise, making the horrible excuses of our "difficult schedule" or the injuries to Daniel Green, or going off the cuff with that ridiculous spilled water joke story (seriously, WTF was that? just a terrible impromptu moment). It does feel insulting to me as an alumn, and judging from Dan's questions yesterday, it certainly seems to be insulting to the media who cover Wake sports.

For example, with the attendance comment, as someone else wrote, there would have been no harm in acknowledging that we expect better attendance, that Wake has a great fanbase who is eager to support the team and fill the Joel, and he is confident they will do so with this team next year, especially with the exciting improvements being made to the facility. Boom. That's how you spin a negative to a positive. Lying is just so unnecessary. Who is he trying to convince when he says that attendance is strong?

To me, it just goes to show that there is no one at Wake with the juice to stand up to Wellman and correct these habits. He's been doing it for 4 years now and he's only getting worse. If Mike Buddie is his eventual successor, I hope to Christ that he's cognizant of Wellman's mistake and doesn't do the same things.

All of this. Across the street from Wellman's office is one of the best business schools in the country and half the athletes under his supervision major in Communications. You would think someone, somewhere could take control of the PR side of this operation that has a freaking clue what they are doing.

I'm sure Wake has some excellent people in its communications office, but no one has the power (or will) to tell Wellman when he's crossing the line. I really think Wellman has been at Wake too long and has too much power. It's a very small school and he has been around a long time in perhaps the most high profile administrative position.

This

I wish Ron had followed his "Jeff truly, truly cares about his players" with "ask them."

yeah, guys. the Wake Forest Way.

Oh, and I almost threw my coffee through my computer screen when Ron said, for approximately the 4th time in the first 10 minutes, that "Jeff has conducted himself with class and dignitEE every step of the way."

He said it four times...Unbelievable

Never got to see or hear it. Doesn't matter because Wellman's still the target.

Wake sports will be clown shoes until he is gone.

Last edited:
How about this jewel I lifted from WSJ story... I mean these are grown men, Wellman sounds like he's protecting his 13 year old son from teasing at school.

[Redacted]’s ouster — which included billboards and advertisements in local newspapers — probably took their toll.
“That’s difficult,” Wellman said. “When you hear things that are hurtful, that can hurt someone, as it would anyone."

I'l agree looking at his record was hurtful

My bad. How could I have left that one out. NBL, huh?........
For some reason I really got a kick out "In fact, I was just talking to a *National Basketball Leader* on my way over here." Like, what does that even mean.

There is a general awkwardness that would probably be folksy and endearing if he was doing better at his job. For example, I chuckled at his emphasis on the fact that he had a long list AND a short list. I was seriously, seriously expecting him to go on and say "I have a list that is typewritten on plain paper, a list this is handwritten on letterhead, a electronic version on my computer and a shorter one that I keep at home in my nightstand"

I would put the "national basketball leader" term into this same category. Endearing if you like Ron. If you don't, it just strikes you as weird.

I have been receiving a lot of phone calls from Wake, and this morning an email. Wake Will hit you up. Obviously I want to voice my concerns, which I haven't done by email up to this point. Besides the giving@wfu.edu address, what are the other pertinent addresses to cc? Hatch in particular.

Not that I expect any of the bigger names to reply, but I'd like to have it in their inbox for their secretary to throw into the "complaints" file....(I know, the deleted items box). But I would hope the advancement people would consider engaging with me.

http://myfox8.com/2014/03/21/wakes-next-coach-might-not-be-named-for-weeks/

“He resigned,” Wellman said. “We started the evaluation process (Thursday), and there was no obvious conclusion to that. Before we even got to that type of discussion, Jeff resigned.”

I'm assuming this was from the presser? Anyway, holy shit. There was no obvious conclusion?

[Redacted] also was criticized for not having a more vivacious, media-friendly personality, although he did make efforts to improve his public relations during his four years. Wellman acknowledged that all the calls for [Redacted]’s ouster — which included billboards and advertisements in local newspapers — probably took their toll.

“That’s difficult,” Wellman said. “When you hear things that are hurtful, that can hurt someone, as it would anyone.

“I don’t think it played a role in his decision, necessarily, but it didn’t make life pleasant all the time either.”

Interesting...

For some reason I really got a kick out "In fact, I was just talking to a *National Basketball Leader* on my way over here." Like, what does that even mean.

He talked to Dave Odom.

My favorite was the part about caring. All coaches care. Then there are those who really really care. And those that really really really care. And I have never cared so much about a coach that really really really really cares this much. I thought I was going to be sick to my stomach.

Back