• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

rj i cant fault melo for taking the cash. i think most if not all would. but it is strange he keeps playing the olympics especially when he could use the zika this year as an excuse not to go.

I think Melo probably sees his Olympic success as a cover for not winning anything in the NBA.

I like the idea of the Olympics as a halfway home for NBA players who are perennial losers, choked in the playoffs, or need a boost for their free agent prospects.

I think Melo probably sees his Olympic success as a cover for not winning anything in the NBA.

But does anyone really think about Melo in the Olympics? You could have told me this was his first time there and I would have believed it. The Cuse was his cover for not winning anything in the NBA before he ever played a game in the NBA.

But does anyone really think about Melo in the Olympics? You could have told me this was his first time there and I would have believed it. The Cuse was his cover for not winning anything in the NBA before he ever played a game in the NBA.

I mean, he was arguably the most important player on the Redeem Team(s). Did you watch the US Teams plays in Beijing and London?

meh.

i'm not sure people think carmelo anthony, yeah he couldnt even win one nba playoff series in his career, but he won 3 gold medals and one bronze so he must be a winner

Last edited:

Yeah. Cuse will be his legacy. Kind of like a modern Christian Laettner.

NBA Off-season thread: Teague, draft, trades, ainge goes full hinkie

Yeah. Cuse will be his legacy. Kind of like a modern Christian Laettner.

lol no

ETA: Melo hasn't gotten shit done in the playoffs, but that's not going to eclipse the fact that he is one of the best players of his generation, the generation that also revived the NBA from its slump in the mid 90s-mid 00s. And the Redeem Team narrative matters to a lot of basketball fans.

Last edited:
If anything, participation on that bronze medal team is a minor mark of ignominy. (Sorry, Timmy.)

Melo should have at least two epic ECFs vs. Lebron by now. Let's be real folks. He's not going to be remember for shit. The next generation of fans will scratch their head at how many All-Star games he's made.

This is Carmelo's 4th team. He was on the Bronze squad in 2004. LeBron was the only other one on that team that played in 2008 and 2012 as well so he's been on 3. I believe those are the only guys with 3 or more.

By September, 2016 Carmelo will have 3 gold medals from the Olympics. Lebron has 2 and he is not playing this summer (or is he?). I honestly don't know.

I mean, he was arguably the most important player on the Redeem Team(s). Did you watch the US Teams plays in Beijing and London?

I assume so, but I don't remember anything about them other than that we won, as we were supposed to. I do remember him and Gerry MacNamara carrying Cuse, however, and I doubt I'll ever forget that and I'm not a Syracuse fan. If it weren't for that March then I would wholly lump Melo in with the tail end of me-first generation of NBA players that the league is trying to forget.

Melo should have at least two epic ECFs vs. Lebron by now. Let's be real folks. He's not going to be remember for shit. The next generation of fans will scratch their head at how many All-Star games he's made.

Exactly. From an NBA standpoint Melo is pretty forgettable. He'll be remembered more for KG's Honey Nut Cheerios than anything on an NBA court.

disagree, pretty well known that melo was the best olympian of his generation. That matters for something.

For sports nobody cares about except for 2 weeks every four years, sure.

disagree, pretty well known that melo was the best olympian of his generation. That matters for something.

Known by whom?

I'm shocked he hasn't gotten an endorsement deal with Alpo.

I've never been a Melo fan, but he will absolutely be remembered for his year at Syracuse and also (but less so) his strong play in the Olympics.

But, yeah, his NBA career has been disappointing.

People remember who Danny Manning is... I'd argue Melo has a much stronger overall resume. Caveat is, of course, that Manning's injuries largely limited his NBA success.

Back