• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

Some people from an Australian high school are saying on reddit that Thon Maker was in their graduating class of 2010, making him around 23 now. Link with yearbook photos

I gotta say it looks pretty legit but seems like an NBA team could have found this out if they researched his past before drafting him in the lotto, no?

That's cool, but 23 ain't ancient. Wasn't Draymond 22 or 23 when he came into the NBA?

Yeah it would be a huge freaking deal if he's really 23. Draymond was a great high level college player at 22 when he was drafted and he went in the 2nd round. Thon Maker was disappointing/not very productive against kids around 5/6 years younger than him if he is in fact that old. This significantly cuts into his potential, both on the court and physically... which is a big deal when you're drafted on potential.

Sounds like his guardian Ed Smith admitted it was him in that yearbook but said the pictures weren't arranged by class but alphabetically, but since then another kid from that school posted a picture from the 2007 yearbook that says he was in the 9th grade.

Bismack Biyombo is 23. At his current skill level I doubt Biyombo would be a first round pick and he's been playing pro basketball for 5 years. So Thon Maker being 23 would be a huge deal for the Bucks

I gotta say it looks pretty legit but seems like an NBA team could have found this out if they researched his past before drafting him in the lotto, no?

Pretty sure the FO knew what the deal was and just don't care. They worked the dude out and liked what they saw. Lord.

19-22 aren't the only years you can improve your game. Just ask another 10 pick.

Bismack Biyombo is 23. At his current skill level I doubt Biyombo would be a first round pick and he's been playing pro basketball for 5 years. So Thon Maker being 23 would be a huge deal for the Bucks
You're right about 23 being a big deal for Thon Maker. Biyombo was a bad choice for comparison though, because 1) there's debate about his real age also and 2) he would definitely be a 1st round pick this year. Probably a top 5 pick. A GM was quoted that he'd get ~$17M/year this summer.

Pretty sure the FO knew what the deal was and just don't care. They worked the dude out and liked what they saw. Lord.

19-22 aren't the only years you can improve your game. Just ask another 10 pick.

No, there's no way they drafted him at 10 if they think he's 23. People thought that was a reach if he was 19!

He was the consensus biggest reach of the entire draft, and he might be 4 years older than originally thought.

So you're contending the Bucks didn't do any legitimate form of background check? He was the consensus biggest reach of the entire draft, and he might be 4 years older than originally thought. Seems like a good time to call up some teachers and ask instead of taking an agent's word.

Again - pretty sure the FO knew. They saw what they wanted and took it. Is it going to pay off? That's a different argument.

There was a ton of smoke for quite some time that Thon wasn't his listed age. I don't think that the Bucks FO didn't see the smoke.

In this 1st post on the topic I wrote that it seems like it would be easy to figure out by an NBA team, yet here we are. So I am puzzled. Ed Smith was telling teams before the draft that the 2010 yearbook photo was in fact Thon but the pictures were alphabetical not by class. Yet here's a 2007 yearbook of the same school of a 9th grade class.

2mex012.jpg

Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't a reputable, scientific way to measure a person's age to the month or something.

Back