• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC restaurants that are overrated or overpriced

I thought it deserved to be said. I just ate there Saturday. Two small trays of barbeque & slaw with a few hush puppies on the side & tea was almost $18. That's trays...not plates....and very small ones at that. The kind of tray an order of french fries comes in.....about 2 inches by 4 inches....and the slaw and barbeque were both in that same tray. You had about 4 good bites of barbeque, I would say.

Go to Speedy's. They load you up and it won't cost you a fortune. And its the best BBQ around, IMO.

Don't get the Angus Barn hate. Love that place.

Chada Thai is awesome in Winston. Used to go there all the time and the little Thai lady who owns it is the nicest lady ever (although no happy endings FTL).

Also extremely underrated Q is Honky Tonk Pig Smokehouse in Winston. If you have a big party you can bargain down with them to $3-4 a head depending on number of meats. And their sides are insanely good.

The prices are certain barbecue places do seem high, then I remember that the restaurant proprietor most likely woke up at 3:30 am and started cooking freshly-killed hogs at 5 am to be able to serve me the food that I am currently enjoying. For that kind of care, I don't mind spending the extra couple of bucks.

Agreed. Their sides (and apps) are pretty bangin'.

ETA: Funny thing about their real estate, is that I don't think it was prime until they moved in and that whole area started to get a face lift. Now it is definitely prime space.

Well it is them and a couple other restaurants in the area (Jibarra and Tuscan Blu). The real thing that made it prime is the revolution of Boylan Heights as the place to be for young people.

Don't get the Angus Barn hate. Love that place.

Chada Thai is awesome in Winston. Used to go there all the time and the little Thai lady who owns it is the nicest lady ever (although no happy endings FTL).

Also extremely underrated Q is Honky Tonk Pig Smokehouse in Winston. If you have a big party you can bargain down with them to $3-4 a head depending on number of meats. And their sides are insanely good.

I love Angus Barn. There are just a lot of better steaks in Raleigh.

Oh I understand the why, just doesn't add up for me. They do have a good selection of local beer though. First place I ever had Aviator's Steamhead.

Have you tried their liquid smoke drink? It is hickory smoke infused bourbon. It is fantastic. Their BBQ is also not as good as it was since Ed Wilson left.

I love Angus Barn. There are just a lot of better steaks in Raleigh.

Really? Do tell.. I grew up there, but now only go back every couple months and eat the staples. BTW, I think Vinnie's is good but way overpriced (is that a chain anyways?).

I can see saying la carreta is overrated... but overpriced?? I could have the equivalent of like 8 beers and a full meal for like $12. That's the appeal... plus its close enough to roll the party into a warthogs thirsty Thursday.

Thai Sawatdee (2 locations) is my personal favorite. Although there has been a boom of Thai restaurants in Winston in the past 5-7 months.

Really like Thai Sawatdee. Where's the non-Teeter one?

Go to Speedy's. They load you up and it won't cost you a fortune. And its the best BBQ around, IMO.

Doesn't Speedy's use gas or electric? That's not Q. The sauce is pretty good, though. I'd rather cook my own or go to the Clemmons (GASP!) Little Richards.

The Pit on campus. Everybody was always eating there, but it wasn't that good. And expensive.

One time (twice, actually), they didn't even have chocolate chip cookies at the dessert station. SMH.

Chada Thai is pretty good.

Honky Tonk Pig is solid, but it's a thicker sauce, IIRC. Sides were EXCELLENT. Wish they had seating.

Have you tried their liquid smoke drink? It is hickory smoke infused bourbon. It is fantastic. Their BBQ is also not as good as it was since Ed Wilson left.

I have not tried that, but I will have to give it a shot.

Also, I agree that their appetizers and sides are pretty tasty. It is also a great place to sit out front on a nice evening. I just think it's overpriced and even for shitty eastern style bbq :))) there are plenty of little hole in the wall joints around Raleigh that rival the Pit.

Really? Do tell.. I grew up there, but now only go back every couple months and eat the staples. BTW, I think Vinnie's is good but way overpriced (is that a chain anyways?).

Bin 54 is better, albeit in Chapel Hill. I like Sullivan's steaks better, especially if they have the bone-in Ribeye. Vinnie's also makes a mean steak (I don't think it is a chain). Don't get me wrong, I love the angus barn, but I prefer the flavor you get from some other places.

I can see saying la carreta is overrated... but overpriced?? I could have the equivalent of like 8 beers and a full meal for like $12. That's the appeal... plus its close enough to roll the party into a warthogs thirsty Thursday.

you can do that at like any mexican place in winston. Carretas sucks. El Sombrero is way better.

I have not tried that, but I will have to give it a shot.

Also, I agree that their appetizers and sides are pretty tasty. It is also a great place to sit out front on a nice evening. I just think it's overpriced and even for shitty eastern style bbq :))) there are plenty of little hole in the wall joints around Raleigh that rival the Pit.

Very true. I love me some Ole Time Barbecue.

Doesn't Speedy's use gas or electric? That's not Q. The sauce is pretty good, though. I'd rather cook my own or go to the Clemmons (GASP!) Little Richards.

I'm all for authentic (I regularly spend 12+ hours smoking pork and brisket with hardwood), but some of the best BBQ I've had lately has been from electric cookers. More precise control over the temp and smoke results in a better product.

I was talking about the one in High Point, not High Point Road. But I was just so lovingly reminded that it was nearly 4 years ago when I last went there, not a little over a year ago.

I don't believe there has ever been a Darryl's in High Point. There certainly wasn't one here four years ago.

I'm all for authentic (I regularly spend 12+ hours smoking pork and brisket with hardwood), but some of the best BBQ I've had lately has been from electric cookers. More precise control over the temp and smoke results in a better product.

I am stuck in my old timey ways. I don't eat that electric stuff.

I agree,the portions are kind of small but I'd probably pay double for that honey monk meat of the gods. For any bbq aficionados in CLT- a town notoriously and embarrassingly lacking in good Q- you need to check out saucemans on west blvd. Shit is LEGIT.

Not familiar. Closer to airport or Dilworth? Have mentioned it once before, but I am a big fan of Bobbee-O's on Old Statesville near Harris Blvd. Way better (and cheaper) than Bill Spoon's, which has gone downhill since Bill's death.

Anybody like Jimmy's Barbecue in Lexington? Right off I-85. Only eaten there once, but I liked it. Typically hit up Gary's in China Grove if I'm on I-85 though.

Back