• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC restaurants that are overrated or overpriced

Bin 54 is better, albeit in Chapel Hill. I like Sullivan's steaks better, especially if they have the bone-in Ribeye. Vinnie's also makes a mean steak (I don't think it is a chain). Don't get me wrong, I love the angus barn, but I prefer the flavor you get from some other places.

Sullivan's is very good.

Exactly the place I had in mind when I made that statement.

I used to eat breakfast there anytime we had to move anything that wouldn't fit in my truck because my dad and I would always rent a U-Haul from the place next door and grab some breakfast there first. Ah 7 am moves on Saturdays in high school so I could make 10 am baseball practice. Man those days were tiring.

I fail to see how that argument is relevant. The people preparing barbeque at Stamey's, Parker's & Speedy's, for example, have to do the same work that the people at Lexington BBQ do.....but you don't get meager portions at inflated prices at those places.

They have a name/following that allows them to charge more for less. Or maybe they don't run their business as well and need to charge more in order to swing a profit. Or maybe they use more expensive ingredients. Where you don't see value, others obviously do.

The sandwiches at rose's are not great. Lots of good memories for me there though.

With you on Rose's, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. They have a few good sandwiches, the fries are bangin, patio is awesome, and pitchers on Friday are cheap. Food is just not that great, though.

Rose's should just outsource their sandwiches from TJ's

Or maybe...just maybe...there is a simpler answer: They are just overpriced.

They are only overpriced if they would make more money by charging less. Unless you own the place, I doubt that's a decision you can make. Are they overpriced for you? Seems so, based on your comments here. For enough people for it to hurt their bottom line? Not judging by the line at lunch. I tend to believe they know what they're doing and they aren't running their business into the ground.

Last edited:
Rose's should just outsource their sandwiches from TJ's

Um, no. I'd much rather go to Rose's. More convenient. More beer. And food that doesn't make me feel my heart slow down as I eat it because it's not dripping w/grease.

Not familiar. Closer to airport or Dilworth? Have mentioned it once before, but I am a big fan of Bobbee-O's on Old Statesville near Harris Blvd. Way better (and cheaper) than Bill Spoon's, which has gone downhill since Bill's death.

Anybody like Jimmy's Barbecue in Lexington? Right off I-85. Only eaten there once, but I liked it. Typically hit up Gary's in China Grove if I'm on I-85 though.

Saucemans is close to dilworth/southend. Just a few blocks after east turns into west blvd, on the right before you get to that bojangles. It started as a varied menu joint, but then a bbq guy bought in, took over, and scratched the whole menu in favor of authentic nc bbq. It is outstanding, definitely check it out.

I need to check out to bobbee-o's but I'm hardly ever out that way. I love Gary's when on 85 too. Spoons is tolerable.

Back