• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Academic Standards?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Can someone explain how we are suddenly more hamstrung in recruiting by our academic standards than we have been in the past? We didn't have any problem getting 4 and 5 star players 5 years ago. Duke seems to have no problem getting top recruits. What exactly has changed in the last few days to have made this such an issue suddenly?

It's not the standards. It's if exemptions to those standards are allowed.

Last edited:
If you think all or even most of Bzzs recruits fulfilled the undergrad admission standards then i've got some sarcastically non-existent property to sell you.

A lot has to do with courses and curricula. For example, a curriculum in something like Sports Management would be helpful. It doesn't have to be a UNC-Swahili sham, but Wake needs a program or two that will actually prepare athletes for a future in the sports world - and not just Communications. Wake also needs to revisit the idea of what courses transfer and whether adequately-performing students from accredited jucos are welcome.

LOL. The standards are the standards.....except when they are not the standards.

That's a good one, DD !!

That's how college athletics work today. You need to accept the fact that they are athletes first and students second.

Basically, the academic mucky mucks put pressure on Hatch because Dino wasn't as popular as Skip. Now that our awful basketball program is hurting us financially, it's time to reconsider our pie-in-the-sky idealism.

A lot has to do with courses and curricula. For example, a curriculum in something like Sports Management would be helpful. It doesn't have to be a UNC-Swahili sham, but Wake needs a program or two that will actually prepare athletes for a future in the sports world - and not just Communications. Wake also needs to revisit the idea of what courses transfer and whether adequately-performing students from accredited jucos are welcome.

That is not going to happen.

We should be using our academics/career services/etc. as a strength (this is what I love about Clawson).

The "new academic standards" are mostly BS. There are players recruited by Bz that are on the current WF roster that struggled to meet the NCAA qualification standard and could have only gotten admitted with an exception; so, the exception process is alive and well at WF. The idea that WF is suddenly restricting its recruiting to kids that are academically superior to Duke or UVA is simply wrong. The one requirement that WF imposes is that WF will not admit a JUCO player that did not qualify out of HS (which eliminates almost every legit JUCO basketball and football recruit). In football (and to some extent basketball), WF gets around this requirement by having recruits take a PG year at Fork Union or some similar school to raise their scores.

This is exactly why college athletics are a farce. Does anyone really think an athlete who barely qualified is going to contribute anything worthwhile in the classroom at a place like Wake, Duke, Stanford, ND, Vandy, etc.? You have to be monumentally stupid to barely qualify. Forcing these kids to go to class benefits no one.

Can someone explain how we are suddenly more hamstrung in recruiting by our academic standards than we have been in the past? We didn't have any problem getting 4 and 5 star players 5 years ago. Duke seems to have no problem getting top recruits. What exactly has changed in the last few days to have made this such an issue suddenly?
It's always been an issue so I'm not sure I understand. That short run of 4/5* recruits wasn't easy for Wake to get or the norm. Duke gets its pick of players who can handle the academics.

I think they are, b/c I think Duke has a very favorable transfer policy toward classes taken at NCCU, if I'm not mistaken (and I may be).

I think that is correct. I took a few classes at NCCU when I was in grad school at Duke, and they transferred them right in.

This is exactly why college athletics are a farce. Does anyone really think an athlete who barely qualified is going to contribute anything worthwhile in the classroom at a place like Wake, Duke, Stanford, ND, Vandy, etc.? You have to be monumentally stupid to barely qualify. Forcing these kids to go to class benefits no one.

Bullshit.

[video=youtube;8vFruO4aoSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vFruO4aoSk[/video]

Maybe Wake Forest should get a corporate sponsor for the basketball team to help with the costs. Since we are located in Winston-Salem, we could be the "Krispy Kreme Wake Forest Deacons".

Seriously, since you seem to have no problem with lowering standards to win basketball games, let me ask you a question? How far would you be willing to bend over? We've talked about lower academic standards. What about criminal records? If a 4 or 5-star recruit was a felon, is he still OK to play basketball at WF? I guess what I'm asking is there any point in your mind at which integrity outweighs winning basketball games? Just wondering.....

Wake Forest already has corporate sponsors. Look at the name on the football stadium.

And no one is talking about lowering academic standards. They are talking about lowering admission standards. How often this happens for non-athletes, I don't know. But it's one way that a university fields a diverse campus as well as winning athletic teams.

Would you support admitting any felons as students at WFU?

With regard to the Juco issue, it appears a couple of the Jucos Manning brought in to Tulsa were Canadian. Would I be correct in assuming that often, these are players that are fully qualified, but merely go the Juco route to get attention from the high-majors in the states? If so, I wonder if that might be an approach that he can carry over to Wake.

Back