• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Academic Standards?

And can we cut the straw man BS that you need a tutor to do well on the SATs. Lots of practice tests and a couple Kaplan books will teach you all the "strategies" you need.

LOL. It's really sad that a Wake Forest student or graduate would say somthing like that..

As a Wake grad, the elitism of our alumni base is just embarrassing. So is the narrow view of what education can be and how students ought to use their time at Wake (or any school).

i do appreciate the cokehead that fucked up his way through wake saying atheletes don't add to the fabric of a wake education.

And can we cut the straw man BS that you need a tutor to do well on the SATs. Lots of practice tests and a couple Kaplan books will teach you all the "strategies" you need.

It's established that SAT scores are correlated with resources to prepare for the test. That's why they're changing the test. Not sure where you came up with the impression that's a straw man.

True, access to the latter is still required though. While not a massive boundary, still a boundary.

I didn't use any practice tests or study for the SAT at all though so I don't really know much about the Kaplan costs for books/etc.

True, access to the latter is still required though. While not a massive boundary, still a boundary.

I didn't use any practice tests or study for the SAT at all though so I don't really know much about the Kaplan costs for books/etc.

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

SAT tutors definitively help those at the top end but we're talking about people who barely qualify. If you can't break 1200 on the new SAT you're all kinds of stupid.

40 bucks.

So kids who barely qualified come to Wake and all of a sudden want to be part of academically rigorous debates on sociology, philosophy, etc? Right. You know as well as I do that athletes who eked into Wake add little to nothing to the academic landscape. I love the rich shaming too. Rich kids are successful because their families emphasis education and make sacrifices to give their kids the best shot in life. Most wealthy people in this country are self-made and worked their asses off to get there, ripping them for working 100 hour weeks and taking risks to prop up some ridiculous argument that there's only nobility in poverty is wrong.

Let's be honest, a lot of the truly rich kids at Wake are just as unlikely to find themselves in "academically rigorous debates on sociology, philosophy, etc." as "athletes who eked into Wake." However, they are both here for a reason and it's not to create a better educational environment for the average student. That's OK.

I'd rather Wake worry far less about an athlete's "academic qualifications" out of high school and far more on providing that athlete with a quality education, whatever that may look like for him, in exchange for the millions of dollars he might make the University.

Yeah cause that's the only advantage rich kids get from birth until they are 18. If we just got all the dumb "inner city" athletes a couple of Kaplan books then the SAT would truly tell us who is capable of getting something out of their Wake Forest education.

James Johnson contributed more to the University in his time here than I have in my 5 (going on 7) years at Wake. I wish that Wake (all universities really) had a system in place which allowed him to get more out of his education then he apparently did.

Wow just read the last page and I think this thread has gotten a little off track.

No one knows what type of academic restrictions or standards have been used the last 4 years at Wake with regards to the basketball program and how they differ or even IF they differ from the time under Prosser and Dino.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Manning deal was delayed a bit with Manning trying to figure out all the particulars of what Hatch and Wellman expect academically from the program.

The academic athletic exceptions for the revenue sports (basketball and football) will always be a fact. It's just a matter of how many are allowed and just how "risky" they are determined to be with regards to the larger goal of maintaining a healthy APR.

It's established that SAT scores are correlated with resources to prepare for the test. That's why they're changing the test. Not sure where you came up with the impression that's a straw man.

Yeah cause that's the only advantage rich kids get from birth until they are 18. If we just got all the dumb "inner city" athletes a couple of Kaplan books then the SAT would truly tell us who is capable of getting something out of their Wake Forest education.

Maybe you two need a reading comprehension tutor. I never said more resources don't help. I said you don't have to have those things to do well.

I think they are, b/c I think Duke has a very favorable transfer policy toward classes taken at NCCU, if I'm not mistaken (and I may be).

I received my PhD from Duke (2006, so it's been a while) and taught a number of athletes during my time. Yes, including some basketball players. I was not aware of any athletes taking classes at NCCU. In major sports, only a very small minority would have been accepted strictly on academic merit. That doesn't mean they were not capable of passing real classes. PLayers from major sports tended to be towards the bottom of the distribution. The situation is a tad murkier in the less high profile sports. The minor sport athletes (sorry tennis) tended to be better students compared to the major sport athletes, but they were rarely top students. Of course, most non-athletes were also not the top students. (Most top students were non-athletes, but most non-athletes were not the top students because there are by definition a very limited number of top students.) FWIW, I think the best student-athlete I had was a starting offensive lineman.

Athletes could (mostly) cut it at Duke, but they almost certainly took spots from people who would have been better in the classroom if the university was not concerned about fielding teams. I assume the same is true at Wake.

Last edited:
i do appreciate the cokehead that fucked up his way through wake saying atheletes don't add to the fabric of a wake education.

Haha that's not very sensitive and liberal is it? I thought you were mr inclusive of all opinions and lifestyles.

Back